MPM-12 Optimus Prime (Bumblebee Movie)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    If SS38 was based on the Earth mode as well then that makes the way MPM12 turned out all the more puzzling.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Which is funny because the toy utilizes the shoulder stripes from the Cybertron scenes and not the stripes presented at the end of the movie when he was on Earth.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Feelings

News Credits:
    I want to love this figure but the proportions are just so off. I can’t no notice it every time I look at it.

4. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I don't disagree and I'm not arguing with you, but do we really know the story for sure on that? What I mean is that factories often do large test runs or end up scrapping figures that cannot be sold for various reasons. Even car plants scrap large numbers of cars. So these figures may have been headed for the dumpster but end up on Ebay instead. There were rumors before that some of the KOs were actually QC rejects from the legit factory etc.

I don't want to start an argument over whether or not saving a figure from the dumpster is stealing or not, but for me it's definitely a grey area. Is it really stealing if it's garbage anyway and Hasbro was not going to get a penny for it? Tough call. Maybe those ridiculously loose wrists made this one a QC reject? Now if someone really is just stealing figures intended for sale and stuffing them down their pants that ain't cool.

I used to work in a computer assembly plant (can you imagine we used to actually assembly computers in Canada! That's crazy talk now!) and at the end of every shift we all had to walk through a metal detector and we randomly had to take off our shoes like at the airport because people were stealing Intel CPUs, RAM sticks etc. My point is that you would think it would be difficult to smuggle these figures out.

Anyway, back on topic, I like this figure and I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with my AJ preorder anyway, but there were definitely some incredibly bad decisions made on this figure! Those mismatched stripes are driving me mental. Sometimes I buy a second MPM on sale to display in alt mode but not this time! That truck really sucks. I'll be using SS-38 for alt mode display which is nuts.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RootNegative

RootNegative Well-Known Member

6. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

I worked with a manufacturer in China (though it's for baby products) and they end up making quite a few extras we don't sell for various testing purposes. We could easily just grab a sample and take it back to the office to verify with the client, and just get samples to test ourselves.

Even some of the "bootleg" designer brands stuff sometimes isn't actually bootlegged. They are genuine products that might be missing certain things, didn't fully pass QC, extra samples made for various purposes.

As for the figure itself, I really want to like it, but I just can't. There is a lot I do like. The face looks excellent when viewed from the side. The dark gunmetal grey shoulder and neck area is the best of any figure. Certainly the most accurate. The transformation is definitely less of a hassle compared to Freedom Leader. It's also better than the Fire Scorpion. Then the figure just shits the bed in many other areas too. If people didn't like the Freedom Leader's legs, this looks even worse. Fire Scorpion has hands down the best looking leg, and leg transformation.

I'm really hoping for an improved KO like what they did with the Bay Prime improved KO. I try to buy original as much as possible, but this is my most wanted figure and the one I want them to get right. But they dropped the ball.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

I’ve got the BIG oversized metal weijiang Megatron from The Last Knight.
    (Not gonna lie, it was a drunk purchase. :D  )

That Megatron is too big, but I’ve wondered... would this MPM Prime be in good scale with him?
    Anyone know, by chance?

8. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    what about the proportions are throwing you off? is it the arms? the arms are slightly too long (and the head's a little thin but half the angles make me forget that lol) but other than that he seems like the most proportionally accurate BB prime besides toyworld and 3a's so far.

9. DoctorAlgy

DoctorAlgy all your Primes are belong to us

This is blowing my mind, how is RobotKingdom selling this brand new pre-order for 120usd? Not even ShowZ comes close.

10. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does RobotKingdom have shipping costs (I've never ordered from there)?

11. DoctorAlgy

DoctorAlgy all your Primes are belong to us

You're right, looks like to the US can be up to $40 usd

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I was happy with my Voyager and 3A version, but I was eyeballing this one just in case it looked really fun. Well, what the last straw for me was the hands that drooped holding the gun. Yeah that might be factory sample problems, but how do we know that? The MPMs haven't had such outstanding quality that I'm like "oh yeah that will be fixed."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That explains a lot about how this figure turned out... and that comes from someone who bought and enjoyed Haslab Unicron.

14. realwhz

realwhz Well-Known Member

They charged me $25 for MPM-12 to ship to CA, US

15. skwonderfactory

skwonderfactory Me Scott like Transformers!

News Credits:
    Honestly, I like the robot movie quite a bit, very few complaints. The truck mode is very "meh", though I've gotten over the cat ears. The back of the truck and the hideous weapon storage is what really bothers me.

What I find strangest of all is Target doesn't have their pre-order up yet. I'm a bit split if I'll get it at retail, how long does it take before MPMs start hitting clearance?

16. Septimus-Prime

Septimus-Prime Well-Known Member

Already saw the youtube video, i bouhgt one on ebay for $140 hopefully it doenst take the seller too long to ship.

17. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

He looks really good in robot mode. Cab mode has way too much negative space in the bed, and I really wish his gun was designed to store in that gap, thereby killing two birds with one stone. I\'m not sure if I\'ll get him, but I am definitely tempted...

18. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This looks like a major misfire to me. I have SS 38, and as such don’t have any incentive to buy this one. And if I didn’t have SS38 it’s getting a Takara paint update so I’m still puzzled by this.

But as it’s a Target exclusive I’ll never see it anyway so meh.

19. He11Toupe3

He11Toupe3 Somebody or Something

I wouldn\'t trust an optimus prime with such dark, beeeaaaddyyyyyy little eyes

20. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Anybody know of a 3rd party hitch converter so I can get him to pull a MP-10 trailer? I'm not paying $500 for a MP-44 just for a trailer, especially one that is aestheticianally not as nice looking as MP-10..