MPM-10 Movie Masterpiece Starscream!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shmoptimus Prime, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Dude I LOVE your enthusiasm for this awesome figure! Nice write-up. As for your question, I think for sure the movie model cheats a ton, but when it comes to robot design the first movie is probably the least cheaty. I think you can at least get some inspiration for how a figure COULD work by watching the movie meticulously frame-by-frame, but since they have the CADs now at hasbro I think it's probably a lot easier for them. But I'm positive the movie models and all that CGI trickery came first and they didn't think about toy design at ILM at all.

These things were only going to be possible by trial-and-error anyways, which you can see from the fact that the MPMs seem to borrow what worked from previous figures (MPM4 transforms the same as the hftd leader, and same with this figure, while most bumblebees have had the same transformation since 2007).

• Like Like x 3
  2. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    They are both epic designs. The YF-23 has a paper thin profile that would guarantee a bad alt mode. But the YF-23 would be a perfect Skywarp.

It's like they took the original MPM and hit the color inversion button.
    No. It's all pinned together.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sucks to see the issue with the shoulders, It seems to be a case of you either getting a good one or a bad one. The one I have is so tight that you undo the arms of you don’t brace them before moving the shoulders, but my buddies can barley hold up the arm attachments

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Damn this is going to be harder to fix
    I agree. Mine are tight but they seem like they may loosen through transformation. I hope they stay tight. Was hoping for an easy way to take the housing apart because the mechanism itself may be easy to fix. Just wish getting to it was easy.

5. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yknow what would have been cool? If they had done the classic seeker trio in the movies but either did your idea (different jet modes), or if they had done what they did with the dreads (same alt mode, different bot designs).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ishino

Ishino Classics Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I got mine a couple days ago and I love it. I was fortunate enough to get one with no issues, so besides the slight lack of articulation others have commented on I have zero complaints. Utterly love this figure.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned or pictured much, is it widely known his shoulder areas can push back for poses? Either way I adore the engineering that went into that one point of articulation, that's some effort.

Normal
    20200831_015430.jpg

Shoulders back
    20200831_015451.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

yes..much like the leader class, The torso/shoulders had hinges on the leader, where this is a myriad of parts that connect at a couple different points to allow a fluid torso/shoulder movement. its really new level shit for MpMs if you ask me. The way this figure moves and flexes by design is seriously over the top.

Its hard to really complain about paint or color as well (at least bot mode). I can see in a way why they didnt give it a realistic F22 paint job, because it would have looked alot darker in bot mode. See, if I hold the figure in my hands, I say to myself "Damn..this needed lots more paint here and there.." but when I put it on the table 6 feet or more from me..it literally looks like a high end statue..but nope..the Effer Transforms too.

Ive purchased a few upgrade kits here and there, but one I will instantly buy will be a full set of articulated fingers. If this figure had a couple more bends in the hands, it would be nearly perfect for some of the poses where the movie model showed off his spindley fingers in curling hand poses. Its still good..but ill buy new fingers when they come out.

And any repaint they do. I would even be all for a whacky G1 color like the GDO did.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    @capcomkai is taking some preorders for fully articulated Starscream fingers through Instagram:

6F7BD7D0-B7CF-416E-B383-6E95B52178CA.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    I've actually been wondering if he by default should be transformed with them back. there's two plastic pieces that are cut at an angle to rest against the wings. Can anybody tell from movie screenshots if his chest is angled?

10. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He usually has his shoulders resting a little angled back. He rarely ever is fully “flat chested” in the movies unless bracing or reaching in a direction that requires him to be doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    D57DF4E3-782E-441C-8C2D-9EBC7B0F8E1D.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  12. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked the guy up today as a reward to myself for making it through a series of online classes. First impressions out of the box are that this is a very nice toy, but a toy nonetheless. The jet mode has that same kind of satisfaction in hand as the old ROTF/HFTD stuff; that is, big, quite good, swooshable, and all the more fun because it's clearly not an exact replica so you can't take it too seriously.

That said, it's an odd feeling given that I dropped $164 after tax on this thing, four times the price of an HFTD era leader and over five times the price of the SS Voayger.

Transformation and robot mode feel like an updated HFTD Leader in a lot of ways. I appreciate the movie 1 colors (not a fan of the tattoos) and how cool the layered butterfly joint wings and shoulders and fins all are. But even though I knew about the lack of a bicep swivel, it was still shocking to experience it in-hand. What the heck, HasTak?

I also can't help but notice that the Studio Series toy could paint the missiles and claws in his missile weapon, while a collectable that costs 5x as much could not. I know it's got a whole lot else going on, but still. It stands out.

Speaking of the SS figure: the colors and jet mode are leaps and bounds better than MPM. And as accurate as the MPM robot mode is, the SS feels sturdier, is more fun to transform, and only costs $30. (Well, not aftermarket prices admittedly, but in principle....)

The MPM may have five times the engineering, but is it five times the value? I honestly don't know. Dumb omissions like the missing bicep and the unpainted weapons drag it down, plus that less than stellar jet mode. If you can spare $150 for the MPM, it's worth a buy, but if you want the best Starscream per dollar, I think the winner may still be the SS.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Zogliatti

Zogliatti Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Hi everybody, love to see so many beautiful photos of Starscream!
    Can please someone post a group shot with the other "MPM Scale " Decepticons (BMB Brawl, Dream Factory Bonecrusher and WJ Blackout)?
    I know he is for sure on the little side, but he is also very wide so maybe he looks not so off.
    Thank you!!!

14. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Well-Known Member

I got my copy last night. I have no qualms about him. He's fun, looks great and has an interesting transformation.
    20200905_100736.jpg

20200905_101136.jpg

20200905_100933.jpg

20200905_101012.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  15. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Walks with Elias

I like that so much that that will be my default configuration for him!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I knew I was going to love this guy when I picked him up, but what really surprised me was the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker syndrome. In that, MPM Starscream is almost the exact same alt mode as leader Starscream but with a completely different transformation and a different looking figure. It just blew me away.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I'm loving how poseable he is. IMG_1853.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  19. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    So, is his upper body supposed to stay together any more solidly? He's great, but I feel like his shoulders and back wings should feel more solid.

20. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Wait, that might be because of the butterfly joints.