1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

MP29+ Shockwave And MP36+ Megatron G1 Toy Colors

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, May 9, 2018.

1. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    What the hell is Prime doing to Grapple?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Singlehandedly keeping Toyhax in business

News Credits:
    Don't ask, don't protoform.

Quick question: with MP-36+ starting to trickle into US e-sites, did any of them NOT give the original MP-36 a Nerf cap last time?

• Like Like x 2
  3. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I know TFSource didn't put on the cap, and I believe someone else posted that Toy Dojo and Chosen Prime did not either.

4. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Pretty sure BBTS is the only US retailer that plugged MP-36 and 36+.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    I got my original MP-36 from BBTS, and don't feel like wrestling with pliers on another copy of the mold.

6. Flesh Creature

There's no reason I can think of to buy 36+ from them when you have better options.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    Which is why I'll probably get him from Toy Dojo once my PayPal funds clear. I've learned my lesson with G1 Megatrons and BBTS, trust me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

MP-29+ is definitely the Shockwave that MP-29 should have been!

[​IMG]

I'll be honest, putting a toy deco on a toon-proportioned figure never works for me. But I loved the original toys, and spent many hours salivating over the delicious G1 box art (like you, almost as if they were different characters than their cartoon equivalents). That new Megatron deco makes a good go of it, but just doesn't capture the guy I remember from that box art. I think if he was literally the art come to life, sort of a modern-articulated upscaled G1 toy (trigger-crotch included) I'd have found him impossible to resist, simply as a one-off display piece.

Don't know if you've seen this Radicon of the G1 Huffer box art as a 3D figure, but this is exactly where my 'MP toy heart' would lie... If only someone made a line of articulated/transforming figures like this!

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of @Noj

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 26
  9. Flesh Creature

Love your latest stop-motion animation and also completely agree with your statement.

• Like Like x 2
  10. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Breathtaking animation (as always)! What's it gonna take to get the entire '86 movie :lol 

Thanks for the custom Huffer photo, I had not seen that! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of (but fully articulated as you said). Personally I'm a toon guy through and through, but the box art is a close second place for me and I think is the closest thing we have to what the toys were supposed to represent. I do love having the toy deco on the toon sculpt and it is going to take serious willpower for me to resist 44+, but I still want to see box art versions with no compromises! Let me tell ya, it's difficult loving every version of everything and all combinations thereof... ;) 

• Like Like x 4
  11. Flesh Creature

As much as I loved the G1 toys as a kid, it bugged me that they neither really looked like their appearances on the cartoon nor as cool as the art on their boxes.

I would be all in if Takara gave us a G1 box art Masterpiece line with all new molds to compliment their current G1 Sunbow Masterpieces. I realize it would probably never happen, especially with the + sub-line now doing the G1 toy/box art redeco thing using the same molds as the Sunbow MPs, a la MP-36+, but still... a guy can dream.

• Like Like x 5
  12. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Cheers!
    Thanks, I think a whole movie would kill me though :lol 

Edited my post to include a link for the Radicon thread in question. It caught my attention as an off-the-wall project and such a creative idea.
    Yeah Prime and Megs at least would be cool. There was a lot of variety in the box art, some very literal (Ironhide) vs some quite stylized (I always liked Skids) so some would probably not work as well as others, but an interesting concept for something new and different yet Pure G1.

• Like Like x 4
  13. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    While it's not my thing, I even wish there was room in the line to continue the Hasui modernized stuff for those that prefer it...if only the MP line was 10x more profitable and TT had 10x more resources, everyone's dreams could be fulfilled.

• Like Like x 8
  14. mista2x

mista2x Well-Known Member

Box art versions are the next reboot with MP Prime 4.0, lol

I used blue font color, but in my heart it was black.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-36+ came out at the very end of 2018, and many US retailers did not get this in stock until beginning of 2019. So it still counts as a 2019 contender.

Not a whole lot of new MP's coming out for 2018 as far as G1 & BW characters go. But MP-36+ and MP-43 are pure wins for me. MP-44 is possibility, but I am not excited for it. MP-43 looks like a great MP that's also fun to mess with. MP-44 looks to be a freaking mess to work with in transformations. MP-36 is not much fun for me, but I've grown to be okay with it. I won't hold final judgement for MP-44 until it's actually out though. So I'll keep an open mind. But this MP-36+, man, he's much closer to what I was hoping for initially with MP-36. MP-43 and MP-36+ is certainly going to be hard in deciding which will be better for me as I am excited for both of them.

As for removing orange barrel plugs, do NOT use pliers. Instead, mask off the barrel with painters tape to not mar the finish. I used a bottle opener that's a rubber loop that you can adjust. Wrapped it around the tip of the orange plug, held it in place and put a small towel over that and started to twist. Do this carefully and don't break that barrel from where it is attached to. Work it left and right a bit and after some time and patience, it comes out. The hard part is getting the glue residue out. It's gross and sticky. I used a Spudger to slowly get that out. Similar to this one, but mine has a handle:

https://www.amazon.com/bade-home-ki...-fkmr2&keywords=adjustable+Rubber+loop+opener

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    To you maybe. You said it though, he came out in 2018. it's not like where all making our own end of year best of TV shows and there's a deadline to meet.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sam

Sam 212 days

News Credits:
    2018 was barren enough ffs, let’s not take any more MPs away from it :lol 

• Like Like x 7
  18. Fortress Magnus

Fortress Magnus Well-Known Member

Amazing pictures. The deco on MP-36+ is better than MP-36. The chrome is elegant and makes the figure look well-proportioned. MP-36 has a squat torso. MP-36+ helps hide that. I might just buy it.

However, MP-36+ still has flaws, which is frustrating. The red parts on his arms should be on the side and not the front. Takara should have thought of that when they designed the toy; they should have anticipated that a toy deco version of the toy would be done. Is there a way to retool the toy so that the elbows can be bent with the red parts on the side?

Also, a real Walter-P38 gun has the barrel, chest, trigger, arms, helmet, feet and shins made of one material. So, the barrel, trigger, helmet and shins should also have been chromed. If that is too much chrome, then the toy deco version should have based on the "Goodbye Megatron" toy that came out in Japan in 1986. That toy is in grey plastic, no chrome. The Walter-P-39 mode is therefore more realistic.

File:G1toy gb megatron.jpg - Transformers Wiki

Takara is making the same mistake in being too faithful to the toy version just like they are being too faithful to the cartoon versions of various Masterpieces. I think what most of us want in a Masterpiece figure is a realistic alt-mode that transforms into a cartoon-accurate robot mode as close as possible. The priority should be in realistic alt-modes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i agree entirely!..

...to me, masterpiece figures were never about recreating the original toys any more than recreating the original animation models, nor even fusing the the two into a hybrid design...rather, masterpiece figures should embody what the original toy aspired to represent: a bit of the toy design, a bit of the animation design, but most importantly, a sense of real-world character and detail that the original toys and animation suggested but couldn't successfully capture with production technology available at the time...

...now that's not as easy as recreating a slavish animation model nor as reproducing the original toy detailing; that takes a real sense of artistry and interpretation to successfully convey, but that's what makes a masterpiece, well, a masterpiece...

• Like Like x 3
  20. B13

B13 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1