MP29+ Shockwave And MP36+ Megatron G1 Toy Colors

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, May 9, 2018.

1. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Nice official release, but it's too little, too late for me. Got this instead:

- Magten - KO MP36 - Silver Metal Version/3rd Party Megatron

I just removed the cartoon Decepticon symbol tampos with nail varnish remover, and painted the faces and chest silver and popped a few repros on it.

2. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you!

Right, once I get home today, I will post a new shot of him with his forearms rotated backwards, so we're going to be able to see how they look like in natural lighting ;) 

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Sam

Sam MP-44: 144 days

News Credits:
    Fills a hole for people who want a silver one with red inner legs, but it in no way compares to MP-36+ (so not sure how it relates to this thread?). 36+ has a toy accurate deco through and through, and the gorgeous tampographs that no stickers can ever properly match. Pure toy nostalgia right there.

Thanks, I look forward to that!

• Like Like x 7
  4. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Wow my bad, I honestly couldn't see the forearm logo at all in your pic. Even looking again it still looks like a bare forearm. In that All Are Dead pose above I can just make out the logo on the side of the arm. This invisibility problem, as well as a dislike for the toon style symbol, is what pushed me to finding an alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-36+... I don't know where you goin', but you better give your soul to the lord, or somebody... BECAUSE YOUR *** IS MINE!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I did quote you; you'll notice that I said it lacks a chest that is both. The pictures you linked show a cartoon chest with no squiggles and a toy chest with squiggles but no toy chest with no squiggles.

7. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ok. I can’t see the point you’re making but it’s obviously important to you. Maybe you’ll get whatever you want in a future release.

8. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

I really like the look of that Magten Megs and wish that would've been the colors chosen for MP-36. Too bad it's a KO.

It kinda sucks in the sense that Takara used to sell us MPs that were a toon and toy combo like that, but now it's a separate choice between toon and toy or... you can shell out for both. Pretty smart, Takara. But I'm not one who usually double-dips on MPs like that and am finding that neither style alone totally satisfies my MP taste buds like the older hybrids did. They were so much more interesting to me and I appreciated the nods and recognition given to both styles as that's what many of us grew up with.

I think MP-29+ got the hybrid style mostly right with it's color and MP-36+ comes somewhat close with the optional toon faces and chest swaps. I will give Takara points for that. But the different colors and tampos on it don't really flow and look odd to me.

Maybe I'll have my MP-36 custom painted like I did with MP-29 to get the look I want. I wish, in a perfect MP world, we would have toon, toy, AND hybrid styles to suit everyone's tastes.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Sam

News Credits:
    The chest pieces actually have different detailing, apart from the squiggles. The one with no squiggles does have toon details. I couldn’t see it at first either!

• Like Like x 1
  10. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ok I see it now. Thanks Sam. Very small differences can make a world of difference for some. Very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sam

News Credits:
    Yes indeed. Still pretty cool that we got a brand new faceplate and chest plate (even if their reveal was spoiled by those KO-making douchebags). Hopefully we'll get a new face plate and some other more toy-accurate parts for MP-44+ too (would love rounded headlights, rounded gas tanks, or even more rectangular windows. Maybe not so likely though!).

I feel like a pretty good balance can be gotten with MP-36 and some mods. Unlike the KOs the grey on MP-36 is quite sparkly in hand, close enough to silver for me. For example, @OptimusTimelord painted the face of his silver, and added the old school logos to the chest. @Destructimis Prime painted the inside of the lower legs red.

Anyway, I'm not in the same camp because I much prefer having a distinction between a toon release and a toy release. So excited about the prospect of MP-44+, than I had no need to keep my yellow-eyed MP-10. A silver Megatron with red inner legs would do nothing for me, while MP-36 is my perfect cartoon Megatron, and MP-36+ homages the toy that I always wanted.

When it comes to MP Hound, I didn't want the toy, had no attachment to it, so I don't want or need any references to it in my cartoon Masterpiece. Same with Sunstreaker. Hopefully they do make an MP-39+ for all those who prefer Cordon's head and shins, but since I didn't have the Sunstreaker toy I have no desire for it, and I don't need my regular cartoon Sunstreaker to come with those options.

From a marketing stand-point, I imagine most people who bought the blended style are in for the cartoon style. Those who aren't might still buy the toon style, but they might also buy the toy style later on, or just wait for that release. Those who like the toon might still buy the toy style also. And in any case, you've now created an extra repaint option for every mould, instead of trying to please everyone but not fully pleasing most people. Definitely makes business sense.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sam

News Credits:
    Oh man he looks good

credit to Autobase Aichi for sharing トランスフォーマー新着情報ブログ (did he get the photos from ebay from the link I shared? Ah the circle of sharing!)

48391672_1297531373720452_5921894491043659776_n.jpg 48430077_1297531397053783_1535390777562103808_n.jpg 48958807_1297531420387114_6394145657275285504_n.jpg 48391005_1297531450387111_3770992435623100416_n.jpg

Also has photos of the coin which I'm not bothering to share, because it looks identical to MP-36's.

That 'bare' plastic is so much less brown in these photos than in other shots. In a good way :thumb 

• Like Like x 19
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  13. Flesh Creature

It absolutely makes great business sense. Two separate releases branched off from one. It's just that the MP line was never intended as Sunbow Masterpiece, as it is now. As someone who's been with the line since MP-1, I find the full-toon aesthetic which now dominates frankly kinda boring. Even with a separate toy redeco like 36+, it looks more like the cartoon model cosplaying as the G1 toy. I think the toon-focused landscape of modern MPs is just too limiting when the possibility for such dynamic designs is so very present; especially when you factor in the improved engineering and budget the newer MPs are fortunate to now have. Instead, these resources seem consumed by complicated transformations to get a somewhat realistic looking alt-mode to turn into a 3D cartoon character. I'm happy for those who like this approach, but to me it's a missed opportunity for something greater.

• Like Like x 12
  14. Sam

News Credits:
    When the MP line began it was intended as nothing - a one-off. The design team have always agreed that it head in the direction of the cartoon though, as evidence from many things on MP-1 (compared to the very toy-centric sketch by Don Figueroa that they had to work with).

Hasui becoming lead designer slowed that all down somewhat (MP-10 came right after MP-9, the most cartoon accurate release of the entire line, even today). But he and Maeda did bring the important robot-mode scale unification, so beneficial to the longevity of the line. Still, the other designers were the ones who insisted that the leg tyres be hidden on MP-10.

I obviously disagree with the idea of the designs we're getting now aren't dynamic. In fact, I'd argue they're more dynamic than ever with their flared legs, anime proportions and incredible articulation. As @Dean ML has so eloquently put it, they look less like man-built piloted robot mechs (a la Diaclone) and more like a sentient robot race than ever before.

I like the symmetry of the cartoon model cosplaying as the original toy because the cartoon model is better proportioned than the original toy, and at the same time it reminds me of releases like Music Label Optimus or Encore Bumblebee, which had toon accurate features/deco on the original toy body.

I'm sure the MP line wouldn't have the budget it has to produce the cartoon accurate designs if those designs didn't sell. I'm also not sure how much better a Hasui Megatron would have been, given that the MO of animation accuracy, articulation and accessories came from the design team as a whole. It's not like he could've hidden the butterfly shoulder joints any better than Kobayashi did, but if he had built a Megatron right after MP-10 than it probably wouldn't even have such amazing articulation - and that'd be a damn shame.

I actually thought you might be coming into the thread to marvel at how good MP-36+ looks in these in-hand photos. Silly me :lol 

• Like Like x 14
  15. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Only posting in here because @Flesh Creature said some things I agree with. As for MP-36+ I don't like it but that's fine, it's simply not for me. MP-29+ I love, he is a great balance between toy and toon (regardless of what TT say about him being Anime accurate), and hits the places the MP line rarely goes these days, taking of which..

Amen. There were little nods to other renditions of the character (outside the cartoon) and nice added detailing that made them interesting as as a figure. The need to represent a very simply drawn cartoon has cause the designers to dispense with this for better or worse (depending on your point of view). Personally I think the newer G1 MPs look plain and lacking in detail but at the same time covered in panel lines, hinges etc that break up the clean lines they originally aimed for. They sort of defeat themselves in the execution to my mind.

Agreed. All the creativity and artistic licence is going into the engineering of MPs these days, no bad thing however.. it is no longer expressed in the design as they have given themselves such a strict aesthetic brief. These days they HAVE to look like the screen versions of the characters and there's little to no wriggle room, for creative flare or artistic interpretation. For me that's a real shame and has sort of turned me off the G1 side of the line.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  16. Flesh Creature

Hey Sam, to refrain from being a buzzkill for those like yourself who are excited for MP-36+, I'll back off from my critical opinions and "food for discussion" and just agree to disagree. Like anything that has to do with aesthetic design choices, all opinions are entirely subjective and there is no right or wrong views. I am obviously not a fan and the most recent pics you posted definitely confirm that for me. And that's fine. I know many like you are excited for this and the new upcoming cartoon MPs. I don't think I'll ever be persuaded that the new-breed MPs are for me, despite my trying, because for all the rigid, cartoon accuracy and increased articulation they possess, there are trade-offs that, to me, are detrimental to their overall design. So, end of discussion from me. Carry on and be happy. :) 

• Like Like x 5
  17. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    Holy smokes!!:eek:  He’s beautiful!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sam

News Credits:
    Many people find the panel lines just as interesting visually, partly because they serve a purpose - just like we can imagine the panel lines on a real Transformer would. I love the shapes created on Megatron's thighs, shins and shoulders by the transformation seams.

Did you order one DP? Or is your modded MP-36 enough to satisfy your toy urges?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    I did not order one :oops:  I wasn’t planning on getting 36+ but he looks so beautiful in these pictures I may have to pick one up in the future. He would go so nicely with my modded MP-10, I’m going to mod him further tonight by removing the wheel covers on the legs. I’ll post some pictures when he’s done :) 
    0C902F8D-9626-4A56-8ABF-8679D8C9D3E5.jpeg 68954B33-0BCD-49C4-BE36-6B3073103EB8.jpeg

I have MP-44 paid for and he will go great with the MP-36. But that + version with the grey plastic and chrome everywhere looks incredible. I even like the bare die cast feet just like the G1 Megatron has! Are you getting him?

• Like Like x 7
  20. Sam

News Credits:
    Yeah he'd look great with your MP-10 for sure! I am getting 36+, hopefully Kapow ship him out to me when they reopen after Christmas.

I love the side-by-side shot with the regular MP-36 because it shows how beautiful they each are in their own way. Getting real nostalgia feels from this deco, think it's gonna be pretty spectacular in hand!

• Like Like x 4