Minor/Repaint: MP10 REPAINT TO MP10+

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Retroheavy, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Hello! Just wanted to share my WIP of a MP10 custom I'm working on. To help explain why I'm doing this custom I'll show you my MP10 repaint from last year. He came out awesome but I ended up selling him due to the fact that he didn't quite fit in with other masterpiece figures after the paint, weathering and washes.
    [​IMG]

So this time around I'm repainting MP10 to fit inline better with current MP figures. The main issue with MP10 is that he lacks a decent paint job compared to other MP figures(IMO). I want Optimus Primes red cab area to be like Ironhides nice red paint job. Even the car bots like Prowl, Bee, Tracks, and Smokescreen I think all have better paint jobs than MP10.

Ok, so my first decision is to not even touch the blue areas. I really like the Hasbro blue and I still want to be able to transform this guy and I know how delicate the gas tanks and wheel flaps can be when taking them apart for paint. Also, not every inch of every MP figure is fully painted so I don't think it will look too awkward if his legs are not painted.

So I move on to the legs and hip area. I primed and sanded and used a base coat of titanium silver and satin clear coat. This gave a me the “Takara” metallic paint application I was looking for verses the more true to life metallics that are achieved with Alclad paints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In certain light this paint has just a little hint of gold. It looks really awesome in person. I masked off just a few areas that I want the metallic paint to show through and then applied a pearl white and gloss clear coated it. Then wet sanded and polished. Here are the parts and assembled pieces in some different lighting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really like how this came out. The Pearl white is somewhat translucent so it didn't come out a super bright white. It's a nice muted tone and the gloss next to the flatter metallic paint contrast well together.

I’m almost done with the top half, just have to do about a days worth of masking then the parts will be ready for red paint. Also picked up Eness hands and the shadow fisher kit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just sprayed the silver base for the upper body and will spend the next couple days masking and preping for the high gloss red. I want it to be really shiny red!!! but not metallic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can see, I’m not trying to bring out every detail or do any crazy weathering or textures. I just want an MP10 that has just as good paint apps as the other MP figures and would like to think that if Takara did give him a better paint job it might look something like this.

Thanks for checking him out so far! I should be back in a few days with some more progress.

• Like Like x 6
  2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Retroheavy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Thanks Funkatron!

Ok, so I made a little more progress.

I real quick wanted to show you guys the difference between the silver paint used on the hasbro mp10 and the tamiya silver leaf paint.
    It's a pretty close match except the tamiya has a much finer metallic flake. Some people may like that, some may not.
    [​IMG]

I finished masking and sprayed tamiya Italian red and clear coated. It came out pretty nice and shiny but needs touched up in a couple areas and I still want to wet sand and polish all the red to a really high shine before putting him back together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, thats it for now. Thanks again for stopping in to check it out!

• Like Like x 2
  4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Lookin' good!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Retroheavy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Man, since I finished this guy I haven't had much time to take any "nice" photos, but here is a quick shot I took a few nights ago with an image of the figure as I received it. I used arms and a new window from a broken parts lot of a YOTH figure and finished him off with the Shadow fisher head, smoke stacks and Eness hands. Again, I didn't paint any of the blue parts and tried to mask off most trouble areas so he can still transform but I probably won't attempt since the paint is currently flawless right now.
    B_A.jpg

My next project is going to be taking apart a Weaponizer optimus prime and re-sculpting him into a non-transforming show accurate representation of Optimus. I'll be spending fall/winter working on the sculpt and then hopefully by spring he will be ready to paint.

Thanks everybody!

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Can you embed the pics into the first post instead of linkin to them? I think it is also in the rules to do that.

7. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    Honestly this looks like one of the 3p statues. Great job

• Like Like x 1
  8. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

I prefer your previous custom style (stunning!), but that's my visual preference. Both are AMAZING and it's obvious you're very meticulous, have an incredible sense of style and design, and are very skilled and knowledgeable of painting techniques and materials.
    I wish I had the time, skills, or the money to pay for a custom like the first one. "Someday...". Sigh.

• Like Like x 1