MP08 Grimlock VS. Vulcan For CHUG Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by J0hN2000, Oct 29, 2016.

1. J0hN2000

J0hN2000 Active Member

So I'm getting back into collecting, and Grimlock is a top priority, because, I mean, come on...GRIMLOCK KING!, and was wondering which would suit the shelf better. If I go with MP08 I'll have to buy TW's offerings to complete the team, and PX with PX obviously. What should I do?

2. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    PX will fit in better with a CHUG collection. I personally use Vulcun combined with the other Dinobots from Fansproject in my collection.

3. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

G1: Go MP Grimlock and Toyworld. The Swoop alt mode is crappy, though. Everything else is good.

FoC or alternate style: Go Planet X.

Both are pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    You can't go wrong with either one, but I personally like Vulcan more than the Masterpiece figure.

5. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I love War for Cybertron but G1 grimlock dude!! In my opinion the Mp8 mold has stood the test of time. Also with all these leader class figures coming out these days yup you just finished my thought. He can be had for cheap too.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    For a CHUG collection? Vulcan all the way. MP Grimlock is too G1ish and out of place, even with the heavier G1 nods we've been getting in Generations lately.

7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    This.

8. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Oversized Warbo Grimlock!!! Way cheaper and awesome as hell

• Like Like x 1
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Awesome as hell, but doesn't really look CHUG, imo. Either that Grimlock is too G1, or the entire CHUG line is not G1 enough-- take your pick.

10. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

He looks great in my collection

11. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    If money is a concern go with mp grimlock. he has been turning up at ollie's discount stores for $35 lately

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He's worth having, no question. I'm just talking about matching aesthetics.

13. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love my planet x bots

14. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

I'm just using the original G1s until we get proper Chugs upgrades. I keep them in Dino modes anyway so they fit pretty well.

15. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The PX Dinobots are the CHUG Dinobots. In general they are among the best 3P Transformers ever made.

With some modest exceptions, the purpose of CHUG is not to be what Masterpeice has become, which is to say, the "perfect" iteration of G1 figures we never got with updated engineering. It's to be modern spins on classic characters. Generations Springer, Ultra Magnus and Universe Prowl capture that perfectly.

Some pure G1 designs work in CHUG - the Classics Seeker mold for example - but most don't. Toyworld Hegemon, as amazing as he is, just doesn't fit in aesthetically.

The PX Dinobots do, perfectly. Why? Becasuse the best way to think of CHUG is "what would hasbro produce if they were making these characters for the first time?". The Dinobots would probably look something like the PX Dinobots, not Masterpiece Grimlock, who while awesome, was designed along the constraints of having to reimagine the original G1 figure's design.

Basically if you want Perfect G1, you go Masterpiece and MP 3P. Otherwise you accept modern spins, different details (like no "wings" on PX Vulcan / Grimlock") but the spirit remaining the same. And the two shouldn't really be merged.

16. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Dude if you are hung up on chug neo-g1 style then go with the generations grimlock that came out around 10 years ago. The one with the Dino head that turns into the robot feet

17. J0hN2000

J0hN2000 Active Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! So far I'm leaning towards the PX team (with FP Swoop)....Thoughts? On a side note: StrifeZ, my man, you might've just woken me up from my "everything must be g1" trance I've been in for a LONG time....And for that...I thank you!:rock :buttrock 
    And P.S.: Yeah, I have Hegemon on my shelf, and am actually gradually, day-by-day, falling outta love with 'ole BucketHead. Too finicky, too G1 *gasp*, and just overall, too meh....Now, that MMC Megs that was recently revealed...:jawdropper: :drool: :bay ...THAT is a Megatron that I can get behind and stay behind for a good long while!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  18. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:

The Planet X team is a great set of figures, though I wasn't really too interested in their Sludge.

So here's the four I have:
    [​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Dude, you really think Hasbro would make the PX versions if FoC never came out? Besides FoC Grimlock, they kept rehashing horrible movie dinobots and would make even more horrible headmaster, triple changing versions. Toyworld's actually works better as a G1 CHUG. Besides their Grimlock's and Swoop's questionable alt modes, they are solid figures. Not trying to be a dick, I just disagree.

20. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    PX is too FOC-y for my opinions on what CHUG should be. It's a totally different, much meatier "Pacific Rim" esque aesthetic than CHUG. Although I don't own them (Or any 3P pieces, I'd much rather wait for Hasbro to do them right, because only Hasbro really "Gets" CHUG), I would say the Lost Exo realm Dinobots are much better, even if they've got that kind of early classics/ Cybertronians style blocky chunk than the more lithe IDW style that generations leans towards.
    Plus, Severo is substantially cheaper than Vulcun and actually still available from retailers! Fun!

Even posting this and researching the figures, I find myself very tempted to buy Volar or Columpio from BBTS when they're so (Relatively) cheap.