MP vs 3P vs KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Autobot Meister, Feb 19, 2019.

1. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    I have figures from all 3 choices. I dont strictly buy mp because some of them just dont look right to me(OP version 3, megatron version 2, etc), and if they dont I get what looks good to me. I have ko's of mp10 and several others and they look just as good on shelves and since I spent less I can buy more.

2. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

• Like Like x 1
  3. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

Combo.

MPs for those still available.

KOs or used for some of those older MPs you cant find anymore on the main stores. Sometimes, the KOs are better and have improvements (some of the seeker KOs and some of the Megatron ones. There's a KO magnus in the works with a better gun, better shoulders, and a redesigned butt flap). If the KO is better (check threads) then go KO. You're out for the best toy, in the end.

Go 3P if the design is better (Magic Square or TFE Op both look nicer and are cheaper than MP 44) or if you have gaps to fill because the character doesnt have an official figure... For instance, MP skids.kd pretty.much only available from Xtransbots/KFC. Cant have an 84/85 collection of bots without him. Same with hoist and trail breaker. 3P only

4. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    That magnus is already available

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Dont limit yourself because of fanboyism, elitism or prejudice.

All three options have their pros and cons. Keep a clear and level head, inform yourself, ask questions, watch videos, weight all your options vs your preferences and means, and make the choice between all 3.

Happy collecting :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Autobot Meister

Autobot Meister Well-Known Member

I think that I want a CHUG scale display using the best possible representations of figures. Is there a chug scale Soundwave from 3P or KO?

7. Autobot Meister

Autobot Meister Well-Known Member

I may go a different route now. Is there a 3P Prime that is just a touch shorter than FOC Grimlock? KO is okay too.

8. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

For Optimus and wanting to pay MP price. Get the Transform Element or Magic Square one. Both are great and are about the same price as the KO MP10.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Revrain

Revrain Active Member

I'm somewhat new to collecting but I've noticed that I dislike certain things when evaluating a toy, for instance I've been trying to decide between magic Square optimus and transform element and even though i like the more toon accurate look of the second I dislike the transformation (doesn't feel as fun as it is too complex and it seems too have some clearence issues). A lot of those things matter to me as I don't just want to have them in a shelf but to mess with them once in a while if I ever feel stressed or whatever. Each toy is different and sometimes a KO will fix a lot of flaws in the original mp (like the mpm 4 variants). So do what you like :) 

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  10. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

If you want the entire G1 cast you'll need at least official and 3P. There's also an argument for some KOs, as a few are reportedly better than the officials (Infinite Transformations' Emperor of Destruction/Megatron). For example, I now have the entire More Than Meets the Eye cast, but it's taken over a year and a variety of figures (although most of the Decepticons are official):

Autobots
    • Optimus Prime: Originally Takara MP-10, but now replaced with Transform Element TE-01 as it's way more toon accurate
    • Jazz: Maketoys Downbeat
    • Mirage: MMC Sphinx
    • Ironhide: Takara
    • Ratchet: Takara
    • Trailbreaker: MMC Terraegis
    • Hound: Fans Toys Willis
    • Sideswipe: Originally MP-12 Lambor, but replaced with the much more toon accurate Badecube Steamroll
    • Sunstreaker: Takara
    • Wheeljack: Takara (KO)
    • Bluestreak: Takara (possibly a KO)
    • Prowl: Takara (possibly a KO)
    • Bumblebee: Takara
    • Cliffjumper: XTB Toro
    • Huffer: Badcube Huff
    • Brawn: Badcube Brawny
    • Windcharger: XTB Boost
    • Gears: Badcube Grump
    Decepticons
    If you go beyond those first few episodes you'll need even more 3P figures as Takara hasn't really produced many more. Some of the best pieces in my collection are 3P and in all honestly they generally eclipse the official stuff. Of course that's just my preferred aesthetic and yours may well differ, as may your purchasing priorities.

• Like Like x 1
  11. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I’d say cherry pick the ones you like regardless of maker. But do your research especially with ko

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

Im mostly KO... go KO if you can.. save yo money. its just plastic.. learn taobao too.. TT KOs are like 11-29 bucks USD.. something like that.. 11 being the mp 15 and mp 16

you can get a huge chunk done just using Kos..

Then sprinkle in used and new 3p

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  13. Vagabond Elf

Vagabond Elf Well-Known Member

Because MP is dominating the official collectors' market, most 3P options are meant to scale and display with them. I'm not collecting CHUG scale myself, so I can't really answer your question about Soundwave. But if there is such a thing, it's probably an older toy.

If the third part transformers wiki is still operating, it may proove a useful tool for research.

If you choose to switch scale: many posters have noted that official MP is "more G1 accurate." Most of the time, this phrase means the toy heavily relies on the character's portrayal in the Sunbow cartoon. If you're more interested in the comics looks or in updated versions of the G1 toys, 3P is probably a better fit for any character after Ironhide.

14. Revrain

Revrain Active Member

How can I find that Meg?

15. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

I try to avoid KOs unless there is some measurable improvement on quality (see Takara Tony's rubber tires for Tracks), or if there is a re-sized version that matches my scale preferences.
    Otherwise, I'll pick between 3P or MP depending on aesthetics, build quality, etc.

My collection is about:
    65% 3P
    30% MP
    5% KO

16. 1mBr0k3n

1mBr0k3n -

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    KFC opticlones is more toon accurate than ft-spotter

17. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Why limit yourself to either or? Get the best version of the characters you want, doesn't matter what the brand is. If there isn't a version that you like enough, just wait. I still don't have a Jazz, which is my favorite Autobot and I have no Seekers or Galvatron. I'd rather wait than settle for what's available.

18. Mentasm

That's debatable.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It is. Maketoys actually is the most screen accurate in terms of detailing if you do a strict side by side comparison, they're incredibly accurate sculpts down to the waist/feet shape and thigh detailing. They just fucked up the colour scheme. Luckily it's easier to fix colours than details. If Takara ever do the set I fully expect them to look similar in sculpt to MT but with the correct colours.

Personally I'd say Maketoys>KFC>Fanstoys but it's a contentious subject with some of the aftermarket prices ppl have laid out to get Fanstoys.

Regards the original question. All 3. It's the only way to have a fuller, more rounded collection that gives you multiple choices and design decisions that may suit any given individual better.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  20. Mentasm

I was going to get the MT set, but ultimately I couldn't live with the colours and I'm not skilled enough to repaint.

I did a lot of research around the other two and was initially going to get the Opticlones, but the height and elements of the sculpt were off to me (not a fan of the lime or sky blue either). Then a reasonably priced Spotter came up so I went for that. I think the bot modes are better (faces aside), but the alt not so much. Then again, when am I ever going to have a camera in my display?

I have to agree though, a correctly coloured MT set would probably be the closest in height and sculpt to the toon versions.