MP vs 3P vs KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Autobot Meister, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Autobot Meister

Autobot Meister Well-Known Member

I'd like to make the switch over from CHUG to higher end more G1 accurate figures. For the money, should I go with MP, 3P or KO? Also, my collection would be limited to '84 &' 85 characters.

2. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat SELLING EVERYTHING!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Personally I would say why not all 3 on a character basis. For example; let's say you want prowl and MP is the best version but also want an Optimus but MP44 is too pricey. Transform element looks good too.

Just get what you feel is the best version of the character in the sense of price, looks, and transformation.

• Like Like x 15
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I'll echo what @Kamen Ranger Bat said. Plus, go watch some YouTube reviews on the figures that interest you so you have an idea as to what to expect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Official MP's are aimed specifically at G1 accuracy, and even more so with the direction set around the Ironhide and Inferno release time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Meister

Yes, I don't mind mixing brands at all as long as they are in scale with one another. For example I don't think any MP Prime is affordable anymore so I would have to buy KO for him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    You'll get different answers here than in the 3P section, but basically do what you like.

The KOs are extremely hit-and-miss in quality.

If you like the aesthetic of the MP line currently, and want to complete the 84-85 cast as much as possible in that style, then buy official Takara MPs to actually support the line.

If you want a full line-up much quicker, I think all of the characters are already available between different the 3P companies. Obviously you'll have to go official for many of them, though.

Check out the MP Appreciation thread, then check out the 3P MP Appreciation thread in the 3P section, see which figures you like best.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd go official MP as far as you can and then 3P to fill in the gaps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Meister

The problem with this strategy is that some MP are just too expensive now.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait for a reissue or buy used.

10. RetroElectro

RetroElectro Well-Known Member

If you have limited funds, aren't quite sure of what you prefer when it comes to G1 accuracy (toon, toy, mix) and are coming from CHUG, you may want to also consider starting out with 3P G1 legends scale figures. That could help you understand what is/isn't acceptable to you and where you need to spend the additional $$$ to get what you want.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    I'd agree with @Kamen Ranger Bat don't feel you have to choose between any of those options, get what feels right for you. The official MP line is a great start point but you will find they haven't got around to some characters..maybe they never will..and that's where 3P often comes in. Then there's your aesthetic preferences, you say you want 'more G1 accurate figures' so ask yourself what that means, does it mean very literal cartoon interpretations or a more interpretive approach that takes it's cues from a wider variety of G1 sources? If pure show accuracy is your bag then likely be best going for official MPs in most cases, if not then you may find you prefer the look of 3P offerings. Finally there is price and quality, overall the official line is now the most expensive option, 3rd Parties vary but are often a tad cheaper and KO's by definition are cheaper still. As far as quality goes you can relay on official to be of a good materials and build quality, many established 3rd Parties companies can boost a similar level...sometimes arguable better. KO's tend to be far more of a lottery. In any case check out reviews and threads here and on the 3rd Party forums in order to make informed choices.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IceBearPrime

IceBearPrime Well-Known Member

I like the combo route. What are you doing with them? Displaying? Then KOs are typically fine. If you _think_ these are going to be resold, then A) Think Again, make sure you understand the ebs-and-flows of the plastic-trade B) Then Official releases, or G1s are the way to go.

Personally, I like to hunt for G1s -- eBay is too easy, finding them at shows or random place is the fun. When MPs are released or cheap and look good, I go that route. Otherwise, KOs all day ... I myself gave up on the idea that they will retain resale value. Thats not how I want to plan my future ;) 

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    If your gonna go with MPs, I think you need to mix MP, KOs and 3rd Party.

First off, you need to look at reviews of KOs. There are some KOs that are just as good, if not better then the original at like 1/4 the price. In that case, the question becomes why not KO, especially if it's your collection.

For those where there isn't a good KO, go with MP.

Where there is a character missing, go with the 3rd Party, unless of course you can wait for Takara.

In my experience, I tend to switch out the 3rd Party for the Takara as it tends to be a bit more accurate in some instance. Having said that, I actually tend to wait for the KO to save even more money now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Shadowstar Galactica

I've generally only ever gotten KOs of non-existent repaints of MP molds. Like the Ultra Magnus repaint for MP-10 as well as the Yes Model repaint of MP-11 in its original "Greenscream" colors. I try to support the line as much as possible, but that's my personal choice. I don't disparage others for going after unofficial releases because (1) I've done it myself and (2) I don't like to dictate how they collect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

If you like the old Takara MP high quality, you should buy 3P versions. They have a superior quality than current official products, which is unacceptable.

16. shockwavedalek

shockwavedalek Well-Known Member

Exactly this. I've gone with masterpiece for most of the characters and I prefer the style of no ironhide and shockwave as they're kind of in between the full on cartoon accuracy and the slightly more stylised early figures (I'm sticking with mp10 and mp21 rather than the new versions though) but when I was going through the decepticons I got mp soundwave, shockwave and Megatron but when i reached starscream and the seekers i didnt like the look of mo starscream as there was too much of the intricate details and he stood out so i went with i think it's maketoys meteor as he looks a lot better in my opinion. I might go for a new official starscream if Takara get around to remaking him... again

• Like Like x 1
  17. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Well, for a switch to higher end G1 characters MP is indeed the way to go.

The second question would be: do you want absolute Sunbow cartoon accurate or do you prefer the G1 animation model complimented with real life details and toy elements? If the first, then you're extremely limited to a few official MP's (Ironhide/Ratchet, Inferno/Grapple, Sunstreaker, Megatron, and the upcoming Hound, Bumblebee and Optimus v3); 3P is then also off the table for the most part -- only the Maketoys Seekers fit in. If you prefer a mix of sources (thus animation model + real life + toy), then everything from MP-10 until recent is good (or the KO's) and most of the 3rd party offerings.

Including 3rd party and KO's...you buy them for your collection so you decide. (I definitely did.)

As for KO, in most instances I would prefer to get the official because they designed and made it -- I myself only buy KO for a) kitbashing, b) parts or c) if the KO is different. But KO's are cheaper and, as pointed out, in a few cases the KO is just as good or even better. Cases when the KO is better: Inferno (less issue with paint chipping if at all), Megatron (when down by Infinite Transformation because the paint is more durable), Tracks (I've seen people be disappointed because they got the real thing instead of the KO), and the Seekers done by Yes Model/BB7 (they use slightly softer plastic resulting in a better fit and tighter tolerances). I have a Wheeljack KO and it is also pretty darn good, but the plastic colours aren't as crisp as the official. The Lamborghini KO's I would avoid. Most if not all have issues, although most of it is fixable.

As for 3rd party. Fans Toys have Dinobots that are mostly excellent (Slag was their first Dinobot and he's the weakest, but they improved and surpass TT in quality). Gigapower are an alternative choice for Dinobots. Fanstoys also have a good Shockwave (Cloud 9 is also good and cheaper), plus several other releases. Their later releases, however, start to suffer from: looking good, but aren't fun to touch. MMC have a MP subline (Ocular Max/Perfection Series) that have been hit or miss. Mirage was pretty decent and their new Arcee is good. Everything in between...opinions differ. Maketoys have some nice releases (although I myself prefer their earlier MP's (Hound, Hardhead, Grapple, Megatron) over the recent ones (Jazz, Seekers). X-Transbots have nice designs, but quality has been an issue for the longest time and only recently having improved significantly. KFC are the same in many ways. DX9 have some nice figures with cool transformations, but while the earlier released (Rodimus Prime, Blitzwing, Astrotrain) were disliked by several because of different esthetics, the more recent Powerglide was good looking but not really fun.

But I can tell you that I myself buy less and less official these days, and more and more 3rd party.

18. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    It is really a mixed bag. In some cases the KO is superior to the original. In others, it can be waaay in the other direction.

For 3P, it can often be a case of what appeals to you. For example, I personally think that MP Shockwave looks cheap, and live the look of the Fanstoys version. Others may have a very different opinion.

For KO, here is what I have personally experienced:

MP-11 Starscream, Sktwarp and Thundercracker. - The officials are terrible, floppy messes. I sold my official Starscream and replaced him with a KO. I have the KOs of the other two seekers, and they are solid. Also went the "KO" route with the coneheads; however, these differ too much from the officials to really be called KOs

MP 12 Lambor - I have an official one that doesn't properly tab together. The KO seems to be superior.

MP 17 Prowl - I have the official and the paint is pretty sloppy.

MP 18 Streak - I have the KO. His paint looks great and his build quality is equal to that of my MP17.

MP 20 Wheeljack- Have the official. His Autobot logo is crooked. I have seen the KOs and their paint isn't as sharp as the official.

MP 21 Bumblebee - Got the KO. I am pretty sure that the official is better. Mine has pretty loose joints.

MP 23 Exhaust - The official is nigh impossible to find. Overall he looks pretty good. There was some paint overspray, but that cleaned up easily with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

MP 27 Ironhide - Got the KO. Seems as good as the official. Paint and build are excellent.

MP 30 Ratchet - Paint looks great. Some joints were crazy tight and needed a lot of movinf back and forth ro loosen up.

MP 36 Megatron - Huge disappointment. Got rid of him in favor of the Infinate Transformations "KO".

MP 39 Sunstreaker- KO paint is inconsistent. Got rid of him in favor of the official.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autobot Meister

Because of budget restrictions, after some research I would like to start with KBB-MP10V and TW Hegemon as my two leaders. Would I be able to find 3P figures that will be in good scale with these?

20. Creedog

Creedog Well-Known Member

MP10V is Voyager scale. For Optimus, that’s essentially CHUG, which is not a great 3P market right now.

I personally have every MP mold (10% KO), the major repaints, and 3rd party MP to fill them out. But to be honest, they suck as toys and toy collections.

They take forever to transform, they collect dust like crazy, and you’re essentially limited to lining them up unless you have a pool table sized display.

I (like many others here) have turned to 3P legends scale. There are a ton of toys out there now, they have great g1 aesthetics, they are easy to transform, fun to play with, you can make epic battle scenes in small space,, and they are super cheap ($15-$35 mostly, up to $50 - but MP quality all around). It’s not perfect, there are scale issues (legends vs legends+), and there are quite a few missing characters still (MP scale has the best coverage.)

But I haven’t had as much fun with transformers in a long time, since I made the switch. Before you pull the trigger, go check out the other threads:

3rd Party Legends Master Thread

Show off your 3P legends scale figures here!

• Like Like x 1