MP Soundwave upgrade

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Saberblade, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Saberblade

Saberblade Seek and Destroy

Ebay:
    I’m thinking of getting MP Takara MP Soundwave. And as much as I like his cassettes, I find them to be too small for my liking. Is there a 3rd party upgraded version of all 6 cassettes?...(Yes I would like Ratbat as well). And last but not least, are his upgraded hands by KFC worth it??

Thanks

2. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have the KFC hands but I don't think I ever installed them since I keep Soundwave in his "launching a cassette" pose pushing the eject button on his shoulder, and his stock hand can do that pretty well.

The Ocular Max cassettes are pretty awesome and the Frenzy/Rumble pair in particular look great with Soundwave, as does Jaguar (Ravage). I like their Laserbeak and Buzzsaw but they are a bit over-sized for MP scale.

They do not yet have a Ratbat but I'd imagine if the Autobot cassettes they've revealed sell well, a Ratbat is likely to follow eventually.

Fans Toys is working on a Soundwave along with his cassettes. Theirs will be on the smaller side but still a little larger than the tiny Takara ones. So that's another option, though not yet available. Their Ravage didn't look very good, imho. MMC/Ocular Max Jaguar is where it's at.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Saberblade

Ebay:
    So basically before I settle with MP Soundwave, I should explore my options? So the KFC hands won’t allow him to press his eject button on his shoulder? Cause he’s my favourite Transformer, so therefore, I have to find that perfect Soundwave with the perfect cassettes. Yes I’m going for MP Soundblaster.

4. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    The hands are some of KFCs best, and he can push his button. As far as cassettes though you’ll have to mix and match, which is what I’ve done since they were never all the same size to me anyway: Takara wins outs for lazerbeak and ratbat; MMC for frenzy/rumble and ravage, these are all some of my favorite figs. I’m sure you’ll have to catch a re-release on some of those.

• Like Like x 1
  5. octobotimus

octobotimus # Make Devcon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a second there I had hope an upgrade kit that fixed the only issue with him (the hips and knees) was made.

• Like Like x 2
  6. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh they definitely will, I just found the stock hands do that pose well enough so I didn't bother swapping the hands out since mine stays in that pose.

I think Fans Toys will have good Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, and maybe Ratbat, but Frenzy Rumble and Ravage from MMC OX are hard to beat.

7. xavierleo

xavierleo Well-Known Member

I'm with others - I find that Takara Laserbeak is near perfect and scales well, and the MMC Ravage scales great with him.

I too agree that the Takara ravage is just way too small and the square kibble on his legs annoys me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Honestly the Takara MP Ravage, Rumble and Frenzy are far better with Generations than they are with MP.

Takara got Ratbat, Lazerbeak and Buzzsaw pretty perfect. MMC Ravage looks perfect but is a little too big. I don't love their Frenzy/Rumble though. They're way too tall. They go up to Soundwave's waist. The tallest they should be is the size of Bumblebee 2.0, so like two heads shorter, or double the size of the MP Frenzy Rumble.

I think functionally speaking though, getting properly scaled Frenzy/Rumble (and maybe Ravage) that can also fit in Soundwave's chest (which is why the Takara MPs were their size) is basically impossible unless they're done in some kind of double-depth kind of way where they look to scale from the front, but have most of their mass in the depth.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Saberblade

Ebay:

Since it’s my first time collecting these (I’ve been going after CHUG and figured, they don’t scale properly). So what do you suggest as a Soundwave figure with the perfect cassettes?

10. silith210518

silith210518 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    At this point if you haven't got an MP soundwave I'd say wait for the fanstoys version. It is looking to be a good upgrade on the figure.

11. Saberblade

Ebay:
    Ok I will wait, but does he come with his cassettes? The only thing I don’t like on 3rd parties is they don’t have the Autobot/Decepticon logo on them

12. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

The answer probably depends on what you want out of your collection, but I'm not sure there is a figure that has perfect cassettes. Is it important for you that they fit inside Soundwave? Is cartoon scale important? Do you have an aesthetic preference?

As you can see many people mix and match cassettes from different manufacturers. That's expensive, though. Especially since some of them are out of stock. Right now I've got Hasbro's version of Takara's Soundwave because it came with all the cassettes (except Ratbat), so it was the most price friendly option (I deal with the yellow eyes on Soundwave). But to get Ratbat you'd need to find a Takara Soundblaster or get a Ratbat loose off ebay or something (I got one as a gift).

Because scale is important to me, I am very satisfied with Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, and Ratbat. Ravage, Frenzy and Rumble are way too small. I may pick up the MMC Ravage if they ever reissue the original one (there is a toon repaint that may still be available...and I could consider that one, too). Their Frenzy and Rumble are too big for me, though.

FTs is releasing them, too, so we can wait to see what they do. But figure that option is probably a year out, since they have a lot of figures in their queue that will release first.

13. Saberblade

Ebay:
    What is important to me is cartoon scale, aesthetic. And no I’m not going to put the cassettes into Soundwave, I am more of a display type person, where I like to see the figure in robot mode. So yeah scale is pretty important to me as they have to match..like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Since they released MP-44 (toon accuracy) and MP-36, I wonder if Takara has any plans on releasing a toon version of MP Soundwave

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  14. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

15. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Jeeze, the premium edition you linked to is going for double on eBay (this is the version I like). The toon version with the cage is sold out at Toy Dojo...wonder if it's available elsewhere.

Anyone got pictures of him next to other MP figures for scale?

16. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I only got that regular Ravage from that store like a couple weeks ago so maybe just keep an eye out.

Not my picture but here’s someone’s tapes with some Decepticons

Attached Files:

17. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Thanks.

I think Rumble and Frenzy are obviously too big. Honestly I think Ravage is probably also too big, but it's less clear since he's on all fours so it hides the size.

What we probably need is someone willing to make a tape that neither fits in Soundwave and transforms into a microcassette, nor transforms into a full size cassette. We need an in between size. Would someone risk making alt modes that aren't conventionally scaled 1:1 to real cassettes?

18. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    the articulated hands that came on my MP-13 KO i recently purchased are excellent in my eyes. one of the main selling points why i got it, so no need to purchase the KFC ones for me. that and the price point! :p 

DSC09666.JPG DSC09673.JPG DSC09677.JPG DSC09682.JPG DSC09681.JPG DSC09680.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with Soundwave's hips or knees, other than not being up to the articulation standards of post-MP-36 figures. But that's not a problem exclusive to him, and would require far too much reworking to be practical.

20. octobotimus

octobotimus # Make Devcon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly what’s wrong with him. Old articulation that simply doesn’t work anymore. I mean, how many figures have you seen recently where the forward and back joint on a figures hips are nearly an inch apart instead of being on the same axis? I don’t care about him transforming with new hips, I simply want new hips in general which wouldn’t take that much reworking.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020