MP Shockwave Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBigFeathas

MrBigFeathas My rocket pack?!?

Definitely. Quakewave's legs are an eyesore. Even looking at my pictures I just posted, MP-29 looks better to me. In person he just looks cheap. I was looking at him next to my MP Sideswipe and Shockwave looks like he should have cost $50 if Sideswipe cost me $70. I think it's just because he little to no detail. All the other MPs and 3Ps are pretty detailed.

2. captveg

captveg Well-Known Member

This. Plus, the licensed real cars are gonna cause some differences from the cartoon in those instances.

It's how I see the line, anyways, even if it's wasn't as skewed in this direction in the earliest examples.

3. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

My wife had the exact same reaction. She thought MP-29 looked like a cheap toy. She asked"Why would you want that? The one you have looks so much better." She even said MP-29 looked like it cost $20.

I answered that it was more accurate, and the transformation and sculpt was more elegant. She replied that Quakewave looked like a premium collectable and MP-29 didn't.

To be honest MP-29 is growing on me and will probably stay on the MP shelf. But I can't disagree that Quakewave looks far more premium. I will probably take it to my office. I don't think I'd be as inclined to display MP-29 at work.

4. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Well, if nothing else, seems like QW is a bigger hit with the ladies... ;) 

And I will agree with the wives. Cartoon accuracy be goddamned, I can't justify putting something that doesn't look like it belongs in the MP line in my collection. I've passed on many 3P offerings for the same reason. This is the first time I've turned down an official MP for not looking the part to me. I was close to rejecting MP-11 Starscream because of the cheap looking bare grey plastic. Still not happy with it, but what can ya do.

5. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    THIS. I don't think I could have put it better- though I've argued the "not toon proportions" thing and been met only with disdain, lol. But Shockwave was never this lanky (perfect word, btw) in the toon. And he looks so damn cheap in every picture I see- that's hard to get past.

But, I have to reserve judgement on the color, though it seems to be too light as you said. Mine isn't here yet, but I'm beginning to regret the purchase at this point and definitely would be if I hadn't gotten mine for $125 shipped which is at least not full price at many places. I definitely will NOT be getting rid of my reissue Quakewave (ugly legs or not) or my Quakeblast (not toon or comic accurate or not) just yet. At least neither of them seems too light or too small (scale accurate or not).

Honestly, right now I'm almost- almost hoping for an UPSIZED KO of this guy already. Makes me sad. :( 

6. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    It's up to you. Option one is be a TAKARA over 3p guy and not be satisfied with a non toon accurate shockwave or accept the fact that sometimes TAKARA fails and the other option is better.

7. Decepticon13

Ebay:
    I can't tell if you intended that as a slam against Quakewave or were just making a joke? Those guys were making valid points- that even non-transformer collectors apparently see that MP-29 looks cheap compared to other options.

8. Decepticon13

Ebay:
    So....in this comment it kinda' looks like you're saying that the Takara IS toon accurate and that if you keep the 3p figure then your settling on something that isn't? He already posted that he does not agree that MP-29 is toon accurate. It's cool that you recognized that he might feel that Takara could fail sometimes, but it seemed as though you were reiterating that he's wrong about the Takara being toon accurate I guess.

Unless I read it wrong and that's not what you meant?

9. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    No you are correct in saying you read it wrong. I am agreeing that I to don't think it's very toon accurate.

10. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Wasn't a slam or a joke. Just a simple observation those dudes' wives dig QW more than the official.

11. Decepticon13

Ebay:
    Okay- I DID read it wrong and my apologies!

I'm in the same boat with you guys then. ;) 

12. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    are the round gray things that end up on his butt attached with screws? can they be removed?

13. Prime Wannabe

Prime Wannabe Active Member

I just got mine and for the life of me, I can't get the head/neck part to snap up into place without the head popping off. Very aggravating.

14. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    popped off for me first time as well , as your pulling up push back on the head and it will snap into place

15. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Me me me that's me too! And I did it. I skipped Starscream! Because of his unpainted everything! There, I said it.

16. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

For the record his chest is painted.

17. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like MP Shockwave. I think my only complaint is I would have like him a little darker purple and made sounds. Though after 2 days, I'm starting to like the color.

18. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Imagine MP Starscream but with silver paint like MP-08x.... that would be glorious

Anyways, anyone can take a pic of MP Shockwave with FT Scoria X or any FT Dinos, and let me know how he looks with them in hand. I dont have any MP Shockwave / Quakewave, and this release from Takara seems the nicest thing I have seen for a long time now.

Only thing I dont know is, should I wait for a re-release (ie cheaper price as I missed the boat when he was available cheap from asia), or get it now, or wait for a repaint, hopefully a clean version, or grey shackwave version... I want it to go with my FT Insecticons and my FT Dinos.

19. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Yeah, I was exaggerating in SS's case ... but you know what I mean. That neverending yucky cheapo-look grey plastic. It just reaches out and slaps me across the face.

Personally, a Walscream type-deco would be enough. The white isn't as icky-looking as the bare grey plastic, and it's got panel-lining to save it. I think that the grey wouldn't look great even if it was panel-lined.

I wouldn't mind an official Cracker or Warp (they look pretty good for the most part), but haven't been able to find them for a price I'm willing to pay. I'd also have to get their Con symbols to be the correct way around (i.e. upside down in bot bot, just like Screamer).

Currently waiting for 3P seekers so I can finally get SS's two flunkies and have a complete trio. Am perfectly OK with my Walscream mould being different from the other 2.

Anyhoo, that's the last from me on this, since it's the Shockwave thread.

20. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Hmm, I think the bare grey plastic looks good on Starscream. I really don't need a TF to be fully painted for it to look good, it's all about details and I think Screamers got them in the right places. I'll probably feel the same about Shockers when he arrives.

Of course, I learned LONG ago not to let the little things bother me, so maybe I'm just a little laissez faire about some things. Except the fact that my EMS shipped MP Shockers isn't here yet. That is starting to bug me, just a tiny bit. Well maybe not bug me, just making me a tiny bit impatient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.