MP Rodimus/Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Saberblade, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Saberblade

Saberblade Well-Known Member

I am looking at getting MP Hot Rod, I am turning towards the idea of getting a 3rd party version. Don't get me wrong, I like MP Hot Rod, but his proportions aren't good, he has a hard time standing up and still without a something supporting him. I would like something more sturdier.

2. optimusbee

optimusbee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

He stands up fine on his own. Haven't had any issues for the 3 years I've had mine. The only thing I don't like about him is his chicken legs. If they widened his hips a little and gave him thicker legs his torso wouldnt look so squared off.

The future leader of the Autobot shouldn't skip leg day.

4. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

im not saying the fanstoys doesnt have articulation limitations, but the guy stands fine. I know i remember having to stand up the takara one a few times

6. optimusbee

News Credits:
    Really? Why?

7. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    The MP thread focuses on first party and he prefers third party. The thread states the main focus is on first party

• Like Like x 3
  8. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    He meant the guy was asking for alternatives to the MP Hot Rod, and so it would be a bad idea to do so in that "official Masterpiece only" thread.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blair Bear Tokyo

Blair Bear Tokyo Well-Known Member

I have the MP and he’s not held up well over time. I considered the FT but the paint scratching issues kept me away. That’s being said, I think you can pick up Hoodlum for cheap on eBay.

10. optimusbee

News Credits:
    Oh okay. I missed that. Thanks guys!

11. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    MP Hot Rod is alright for me, at least, the KO version.

The cheap price allowed me to pick up both DX9 Carry and DX9 Terror repaint.

12. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

FT 17 Hoodlum (MP style Hot Rod)

13. Reygn

Reygn Leader of The Abyss

On day...
    3aNz1vp.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You basically have only two options for an MP Hot Rod or Rodimus Prime.

For Hot Rod, you have Fanstoys Hoodlum. It's a dated design and it shows in the articulation. And there lots of problems with paint damage to the hood.

For Rodimus Prime, you have DX9 Carry. It is based on the Studio OX design, so isn't strictly G1. It has some limited articulation in the shoulders and can have problems holding the gun, but is an all-in-one design, meaning no trailer left over on transformation.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Carry is by far the most sturdy and most fun to transform. The giant wings in bot mode can be unsettling until you get used to them, and he’s Rodimus Prime which doesn’t really cut it when you want Hot Rod.

Hoodlum is, in my opinion, hot garbage. The whole janky mess holding the torso together is some of the worst 3rd party engineering I’ve seen. FT should have scrapped it and started over because they’re better than that. I couldn’t get rid of mine fast enough.

Best 3rd party Hot Rods are Papa and MMC Calidus but one is IDW based and neither are MP.

As for MP28, I have two (authentic and KO) and both have held up wonderfully. I like it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd personally need to see some proof of that. FansToys' usual approach to tackling unique design challenges is "put more hinges in it". They're as "square peg, round hole" as they come.

17. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Additional comments -
    Hoodlum
    1. has a far more accurate chest and better proportions than MP-28.
    2. "lots of problems" is a ...controversial description. Almost every figure does experience a small area of paint chipping on the front bumper. FT started including a small silicone pad with later releases of the figure to minimise this (no idea if it actually worked) and they have a paint touch up kit they can send you on request. So... yes there are "lots" in the sense that it's occurred on lots of figures. But the problem itself is pretty minor. "a problem on lots" rather than "lots of problems" would be a more accurate description.
    3. Hoodlum's alt mode is considerably more squished and less accurate than MP-28's
    4. The arms on Hoodlum have a very "high" position and a quite "low" position so depending on what photo you look at it can look kind of off
    5. If Hoodlum's design is "dated" then MP-28's is even worse because Hoodlum was teased after 28 was revealed.
    6. Hoodlum scales with FT's othr movie bots (Kup, Blurr, Arcee and Springer)
    Carry
    1. Carry is Rodimus rather than Hot Rod. The characters, their design and their size are quite distinct
    2. He's pretty far from G1 accurate (OX influence) in bot mode but his alt is pretty close
    3. His alt is tiny compared to other MP's. Like... really small. Chug small.
    4. His materials are incredibly solid and sturdy and his transformation is an all-in-one (trailer included) and really quite clever.
    5. His finish is very matt, almost chalky instead of the more usual gloss you get in MP
    6. He has what I personally think is the only really decent design of a Targetmaster in ANY MP figures we've seen. It actually looks like a gun in alt mode instead of a robot bending over with a handle coming out of his butt.
    7. Scales with MP-10 and (probably?) mp-44
    Other options are the two officials (MP-28 for Hot Rod and MP-09 for Rodimus)

MP-28

1. Terrible proportions - legs are too small and the chest is too large. Like they come from two different bots (seriously look through the MP-28 thread. There's a digbash I remember where someone enlarged him from the waist down by like 25% and he suddenly looked a whole lot better)
    2. Flat sandwich board chest for the sake of a gimmick (holding the MP-10 matrix)
    3. "lots of problems" with the chrome - chrome wore off pretty much every copy of the figure on the engine and the exhausts. See my post above to decide whether that counts as "lots of problems" or "problems with lots of figures"
    4. MP-28 does have a pretty amazing alt mode and came with a great collection of accessories.
    5. MP-28 will scale with Takara's new Arcee and the possible other movie bots they may do.
    MP-09
    1. Pretty much the only G1 Rodimus we have so far
    2. Well-known issues with fragility and breakages
    3. If we're talking dated designs, this one is positively archaic by modern MP standards - it still holds up reasonably well though
    4. Great alt mode (though fake parts may be a problem for some).
    5. Scales with MP-10 and (probably?) mp-44
    In terms of scale - MP-09 and Carry both scale pretty well with MP-10 and other 3P Primes and I assume work with MP-44.
    MP-28 and Hoodlum represent two different takes on Hot Rod scale. For some the official is too small, for others, Hoodlum is too tall. I think the big decider here might be who else you want for your collection - FT bots all scale well together, while MMC and official figures are smaller and scale well with each other - XTB is an unknown but probably more Takara scale.

If you're not totally wedded to G1 accuracy there are also two IDW versions (SXS and MMC) that are more chug/carbot scale, and a couple of beast Hot Rod/Rodimus figures from manufacturers I can't quite recall at the moment.

And as a disclaimer: I own MP-09, MP-28, FT Hoodlum and DX9 Carry as well as the SXS IDW Hot Rod.
    I use:
    MP-09 for Rodimus alt mode,
    MP-28 for Hot Rod alt mode,
    Hoodlum for Hot Rod bot mode
    and I'm waiting for FansToys to give me a Rodimus for Bot Mode

• Like Like x 4
  18. Reygn

Reygn Leader of The Abyss

On day... we shall have new carrot boy.

19. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ?
    Do you mean that we will have a new MP Rodimus release eventually?

Then yes, that's inevitable, FansToys WILL do a Rodimus and there's a solid chance that they will design it to blend with Hoodlum (which is what I personally want) .
    Takara will possibly do another Rodimus, but given their current trends its likley that it will be a massive backpack with a Rodimus shaped figure hangin off the front and will have a host of inaccuracies and paint issues, to say nothing of QC problems (and yes, in fairness, FT's will almost certainly have a paint chiopping thing or a crazy fragile armature or a nightmare of a transformation)
    I mean, if Takara couldn't manage to make an acceptable backpack out of Arcee's alt mode, what the hell is going to happen with an entire Rodimus Space Winnebago? I shudder to think.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hawkwave

Hawkwave Well-Known Member

I like Hoodlum, but like others have said he's dated. If you have to have a Hot Rod right now I'd get a KO ($30) to tied you over and hope for another 3rd party or a Takara 2.0.