MP Roadrage

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by aniline, Apr 22, 2015.

1. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

She's not dull, but she IS unpainted, aside from the roof and the flame decal. I was a little disappointed about that when I unboxed her, but it's a very high quality plastic finish and she looks fine next to the other car guys 99% of the time. It's really only noticable if I put her right next to sideswipe. Then she's demonstrably less premium-looking.

2. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I am really doubtful that your photos are representative of what she looks like. The lens filter you are using - either that or photoshop afterwards - make her look completely different from every other photo of her I have seen.

I am not saying she is dull, but she isn't metallic cherry red which your photos make her out to be.

3. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I do have to say, having Roadrage in hand she feels really good and looks fantastic. She's certainly red painted along the car surface (and her butt; I noticed that was particularly glossy). Quality I don't have the issues I had with Tracks either. The chest stays pegged in and the arms don't come off on their own.
    It's like when KFC does a V2 redeco.
    Gotta bust out that Botcon Tracks sometime.

4. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    I'm not seeing metallic cherry red in any of Sixo's photos. However, here's no fancy background, no fancy camera, no post-editing (besides resizing). Just my S6 and a lamp:
    [​IMG]
    She's shiny, and a deeper red than most pictures appear. It's really all about lighting and a good angle. You can even see my cutting mat reflected in her paint. Which by the way.....

...again, totally painted. I've painted enough red in my life to recognize, visually, and textually, a very thin layer of red paint over red plastic. It's absolutely a different type of paint used on the previous MPs, but like MP-10, and Tracks, its definitely a very thin layer of paint. Flip up the hood, it's a different color and texture under there, which even shows up in photos:
    [​IMG]

Now, it is definitely a different process than previous MP Carbots, something which makes me very curious.

Attached Files:

5. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

She has no metallic chip paint like Tracks does. She's not a bad looking piece.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    +1

7. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Anyone else slightly bothered by the fact that the hood opens the wrong way? Dont think I've ever seen a corvette that opened from the front. Unless it was from Cybertron.

8. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

ab out the lack of metallic

in 1980-82 (the years tracks and roadrage are based off of) GM had a dark blue metallic like track is using there was no non-metallic blue paint option in that shade

GM also NEVER for that year option offered a metallic red. all that was a color option was a gloss red in the same shade as roadrage.

sense these are licensed products the paint was probably part of the licensing deal

9. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

that is how it opened int he cartoon

and yes it bugs the crap out of me did so back in the show too LOL

10. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    did road rage really painted? i'm looking at my road rage right now and all i see is red plastic... except on the chest which is clearly painted because it's in a differ shade from the rest..

if it's really paint.. man, i wish they used metalic color..

11. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Very interesting. You may be on to something.

12. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

So after the REALLY stubborn Transformation and loose right leg, I'm not all that happy with Road Rage. That back kibble isn't all that appealing either (same on Tracks). At least her legs are filled in and not hollow.:eek: 

When my second Road Rage arrives, she's staying permanently in alt mode.:sly: 

13. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    I think the paint matching the real world cars when applicable is not an accident, I also think this is why Bumblebee is such a rich dandelion yellow instead of the lighter version which would have been much more cartoon and G1 accurate. Smokescreen also could have used a darker blue, but the lighter blue is accurate to the car.

I thought this was kind of obvious, especially if you were around for Alternators.

14. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol 

She's definitely painted. Jarrod's post below ably demonstrates it, but there's clearly sections of her that look noticeably different. It's just a different kind of paint to what we're used to.

Oh, I'm not saying that she looks exactly like she does in my photos - ultimately photography is all about light and in the case of my photos there's a very small depth of field, meaning that a lot of it is quite (intentionally) blurry etc. so it's never going to look exactly as it does to the naked eye. If anything camera phones probably do that more, but then the photos are not as sexy! :wink:  You're right in that I do use a filter on my lens although no Photoshop in this case (the most I ever really do in post is correct a little exposure here or there, but with these I didn't need to). A lot of it is to do with lighting conditions, as I say.

As for the colour, red is notoriously difficult to photograph accurately (as is purple). I could take five different photos of RR using the same camera but a different location or in a different light and I guarantee the shade or colour would look completely different, so it's no surprise that different posters' photos all vary. It was commented in the KFC Transistor thread the other day that a lot of pics make him look orange - it's the same thing. Ultimately it's all down to how it's photographed. I don't have a fancy lighting set-up, so whatever I shoot will vary a lot depending on the natural light.

I don't know that she looks 'metallic' in my photos though. I think that's just light bouncing off, but I could be wrong. In any case, to my naked eye, she's very shiny and especially in natural light, which is what I use for photography. :) 

Hope that helps. Interesting discussion!

EDIT: Just looked at my pics again to try and discern the look you're talking about. If it helps, the 'background' that I have there is my wall and a radiator (!) and that doesn't look at all like it does to the naked eye either! :D 

Great post, and ably shows how she's painted.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  15. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  16. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm putting lipstick on mine when I get her :p  Kinda hoping reprolabels might do some stickers but paint will work just fine.

17. tunaflash

tunaflash Banned

I sure it will come complete with many QC issues with paint like every other MP car. PASS.

18. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Funny because I'd rather put a face mask on mine if I could.

19. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did anyone elses come with the latch holding the legs together in vehicle mode broken?

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    How are you even doing that beautiful Red SHEEN on Roadrage?! :eek: