MP Cliffjumper prototype?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Teletran-1, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

If I were a toon MP collector, I think this Cliffjumper would be awesome, in particular because it has such a faithful toon alt mode. I must say, if I were to go down the toon path as a collector, I would have wanted toon in both modes.

The more realistic alt modes suited the Hasui hybrid style but when they went straight toon for the robot mode, I think they should have gone all in. I think a lot of fans want all toon representations and it may have been easier with the transformation. For me, I particularly disliked the + releases. To me, they were the worst of everything, although the extra paint was nice. Just my opinion though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think ultimately Takara will fill in the blanks with what they don’t cover with later releases(as in like a realistic Cliffjumper down the line since they took the cartoon approach with this one). With the MP line, whenever they make a new design for a character that was already in the line, they like to do what they haven’t done before. Made sense to make MP Cliffjumper in cartoon styling since they made the last MP Bumblebee the same way and they’re both Minibots so there’s cohesion and precedent.

I do find it surprising that this hasn’t been announced yet officially. More than a year ago a listing did pop up but was quickly taken down from a store overseas, I think as MP-49(later used for Black Convoy V3). The samples floating around look close to done so hopefully it’s not too much longer before we see this released.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm. A thought - what if something weird is going on with the licensing that caused them to pull the listing then and is still causing them to delay the official announcement?

• Like Like x 1
  4. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thing is, it isnt time for a reveal and they've shown leaks won't make them speed things up ( Megatron,Shouki, and of course CJ). Right now theres 6 MPs with release dates, that appears to be the max at one time. Maybe after 53/54 release they'll announce something, but the best bet is late Dec/Early Jan. after Skywarp. At that point there's 3 Mps with release dates (Feb/Mar/ Jun) and only one new mold. Honestly should be a flurry of reveals after Jan to fill out the rest of 2022; Cliffjumper, Skyfire, another Raiden train and maybe a BW or some other release.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Hm, no, I disagree. To me they're all "inspired by" and none "is". No company/product captures everything. They make choices on what they focus on recreating. And we collectors do the same in deciding which version we buy.

If you say TT gives the figures more character, then I absolutely agree. Likewise, the current TT MP's succeed in recreating a(n almost) perfect frontal view of the animation model, but only from that one, single angle. In contrast, 3rd company seems to focus on making the figure look like the model from most angles, but as a result fail in perfectly recreating specific elements.

If I look at this TT Cliffjumper then I indeed see his character. The face is done very well and from the front he's absolutely the animation model. But from any other angle, he's not. The side, the rear, the top...everything but straight on. That's where current TT MP's fail in being accurate to the original designs. That's where they're highly inaccurate. Because Cliffjumper didn't look anything like the MP toy in any of those other angles: there weren't gaps, there weren't panels hanging off him. Saying this *is* Cliffjumper is ignoring all the aspects in which it is not. It's "inspired by" with accuracy to some elements and inaccuracy to others, just like the 3rd party options.

It just depends on what we as collectors think is the most important aspect. That makes it an opinion and opinions can never be *is*. If the collector thinks the spirit of the character is the most important element, then TT is the best. If that's an accurate recreation of the face/head and a perfect animation appearance from one specific angle, again TT. But if that's not the focus and you want something that looks more like the animation from all sides, then there are better options. I don't care about Cliffjumper at all, but if I wanted one...I'd probably go with the XTB or FT version. It looks more like the animation model from all angles, at the admitted expense of not capturing the spirit of the character or the accuracy of the face/frontal look.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    The question asked, specifically, was : Why do the cartoon collectors prefer this version. As a cartoon collector, I answered that. You're right, I wasn't considering others' option because that wasn't what was asked. So much of your post is just about other preferences, which isn't what I was answering.

Youve made it pretty clear you're not a fan of this style, so of course our opinions are going to differ.

Hard disagree with all of this. You're doing exactly what you are accusing me of, projecting your opinions as fact.

And never did I say TT is making perfectly looking figures from every angle. I said, they capture feel and spirit of the character better. And even specifically said I'll take a little extra junk along with that.

Just because a figure might not have a backpack, or less "kibble" etc, does not automatically make it more "accurate." Proportions, surface details, colors, shapes and "flow" of parts, the correct alt mode. All of that is still part of accuracy.

I do not think FT CJ looks more like the animation "from all angles". I think he looks "cleaner" that TT, sure. But, immediately the feet are the wrong shape, the torso is too large all around, and the legs too short in comparison to his torso. All of those are equal, in terms of inaccuracy, to me, as some extra kibble, or layers. So sure, while TTs may have a layed backpack, it gets more right, in my eyes.

But regardless, yes, of course I was talking about my opnion. In my opnion TT Cliffjumper is Cliffjumper. Just like 44 is Optimus, and 52 is, unequivocally Starscream. I'm not asking for perfection, just what I consider the best based on my own, cartoon focused, collecting. And for me, TT does, indeed "capture everything".

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  7. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    Or... they already did a unlicensed Porsche car (MP Cliff and SS Jazz), they will do anyway MP Jazz.
    Or... they did MP Cliff licensed, time to bring on Jazz.

The Cliffjumper existence is a win-win situation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    So. You use the word 'subjective' but preceded it with not understanding why others like different things to you?

Just let that sink in.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Dude, let it go. Really. There’s no need for us to like the same things.

10. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I really hope you haven't missed the irony in your post bud.

That said I never actually said anything about any likes. I'm just pointing out your contradicting language.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Look, the adults already shook hands and went home. I’ve tried to respectfully explain my original comments and was ultimately met with maturity by several and petulance by a few. But if you feel like you missed out on your opportunity to whack the piñata, here’s my take:

I have both subjective opinions and objective observations. I don’t hesitate to share either, because I don’t take such things personally and expect others to do the same. Objectively (and based on what I’ve tried to learn from toon-aesthetic folks) I thought FT Parkour would have been the favorite over TT Cliff.

Subjectively, in full disclosure I readily admit that I don’t like either figure and am up-front about my dislike for BB 2.0 on which TT CJ is based. It’s a simple declaration of bias. As others have pointed out, I regularly speak my mind and therefore my preferences are apparently already known by many. However, just because I like something different doesn’t mean I can’t have an intelligent objective discussion about the toon-styled figures. I occasionally shoot myself in the foot with critical language, but I’m slowly learning the hot buttons, and am trying to avoid touching them.

Fortunately, a couple of level-headed fans here helped provide insight on how they perceive the two pre-production figures, which addressed my first comment, provided me with more understanding of a different perspective, and helped de-escalate the pile-on.

TL;DR: Subjectively, I don’t personally like either MP Cliff or FT Parkour. Objectively, I thought fans would prefer the FT design.

Can we move on please?

• Like Like x 5
  12. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    and if it's licensed it makes it even less accurate to the Sunbow cartoon

13. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    So you can condescendingly write a chapter explaining your opinion, even though I never said anything about your opinion, but everyone has to move on?

Got it boss.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Still amazes me that those who have no interest in the cartoon style of the Masterpiece line love to come to threads dedicated to such for the sole purpose in telling everyone that they don’t like it. Particularly when there are other threads for figures that don’t have the toon aesthetic.

Gentlemen…

C57369EC-585B-4476-A416-CC2EB9B052C5.gif

• Like Like x 16
  15. Sunbow Prime

News Credits:
    I would like the current line to be even more Sunbow accurate (because it isn't enough imo), but welcome the anti-toon people giving their opinions. Get your voice out there.

16. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    If it’s not rule breaking, it’s fine. I’m looking forward to Takara’s interpretation the most even if a cleaner back pack would be nice. But it’s for the chibi car alt mode. So I understand why the design choice had to be made. I’m just waiting for the Amazon pretty order to lock him up

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sunbow Prime

News Credits:
    If Studio Series 86 Jazz can get by without a license, I think they can do a Masterpiece without one.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    Prestige for the line. But SS Jazz could not be something indicative, it's a spinoff of the WFC line than the SS line.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 S’goden, s’doodis

Is there some Japan-specific historical Porche milestone or event that has an upcoming anniversary? Maybe they are waiting for a special event like this for the announcement, as Takara seems to really like these tie-ins or cross promotions. It could be something as simple as ‘celebrating X years of the Porsche license for Tomica.’ Was it @Liampope that sussed out what model of Porsche ol’ Cliffy is? Perhaps he or someone else who is a sports car oeficionado with their finger on the pulse of Porche’s toy history in Japan could do some sleuthing…

• Like Like x 1
  20. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed he did! The 924 Carrera GTR, to be exact.

@Liampope I'll say it again and again, you're our resident car god.

The closest thing anniversary-wise I could find, ironically enough was for the 944 (which was a, for lack of a better term, moldmate of the 924, and which is what I always thought was Cliff's alt-mode since the beginning and still do), which actually will be celebrating IT'S 40th.. next year!

So i'd say POSSIBLY keep an eye out for something next year, should Takara wanna kinda bend the rules a bit on their end. At the end of the day for me it's a stretch goal more than anything, I still expect Cliff's reveal to be soon, with an arrival date of some time in 2022 the earliest. I'd say possibly Q3 2022 to Q1 2023 the likeliest.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.