MP Cliffjumper prototype?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Teletran-1, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Aside from Reboost, you're probably right. I really appreciate the hybrid aesthetic. I wish a new sub-line could be created to continue the Hasui-style figures that ended back in the MP-twenties. Then maybe everyone would get what they wanted. I realize the cartoon fans didn't like the hybrids, but the hybrid fans aren't satisfied with the toon figures, either. It seems to me there's room for both.

My go-to Cliffjumper is MMC's Hellion, despite it being a bit too cartoonish for my tastes. I like the chunkiness of XTB's Toro but hate the faux chest and backpack required to hide the real roof. The rear window of Hellion is admittedly faked on the robot, but it's a minor deviation that I'm willing to forgive. Cliffjumper was my first G1 toy and I feel like I need a copy (though I wish it were yellow!).

• Like Like x 4
  2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good!

But he looks to be the same height as MP-45 Bee?

I'm hoping he's a little taller.

And hoping he comes with a Space suit Spike Danny so I can get rid of my old one!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Need. Official. Reveal.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It also doesn't have the panel lining of the pop-up headlights, instead sticking with the detailing of the cartoon model. The front bumper is also straight toon model, while the ChoroQ more faithfully represented the real car. Its these things that give me my niggling doubts this is licensed.

Also why the heck haven't they announced it yet!??? Do they think we dont all know? And i hope the reason for that isn't anything to do with some licensing hiccup too! Unlikely as they have made the moulds, and pretty sure they wouldn't do that until a license is signed and sealed (if it's having one, that is).

• Like Like x 8
  5. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Honestly, at this point I’m surprised that you’d still be surprised that there are people who like things you don’t like. :) 

• Like Like x 16
  6. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty sure Bee isn't a totally faithful translation, they omit some details like flashers on the wheel wells, door handles, and went with the the "toon head square and rear lights" on the bumper. On one hand if it isn't licensed I would expect it to cheaper or at this point the same price as Bee.

I'm actually hoping this is licensed and is a double reveal. Rumor has it licensing was pretty much settled a couple of years ago.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

My preferences hardly weigh in on the matter, but my apologies if I hurt your feelings. Cartoon-accurate figures aren't my thing, but I was speaking from an objective standpoint. FT Parkour looks to be a much cleaner Sunbow-inspired sculpt, with far better proportions and less kibble. My surprise is that toon-leaning collectors aren't showing more preference to that figure.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it isn't licensed we can bury any hope of ever seeing an official MP Jazz. I'm praying on my knees this is licensed.

• Like Like x 5
  9. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

His point stands, are you really surprised people like stuff you don't? really?

Sorry to say but you are in for a rude awakening if that's your viewpoint of stuff. Lucky For those that don't like the TT version, the FT one should have plenty of copies once it is put up for PO, whenever that is.

That's the beauty of having choices.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    It's because TTs captures the look of the character more. Where you see "far better" proportions on the FT, I see "off model". It's not just about what is the better looking robot toy, but what is the better looking Sunbow Cliffjumper. (however for the record, I also don't think FTs has "far better" proportions anyway).

Furthermore, TT gets the headsculpt significantly more accurate. And just as importantly, is using the actual car (Choro-Q version, but nonethess), instead of a generic, made up penny racer-ish car that FT chosen.

To me, and most cartoon collectors, the character is much more important than a tiny bit of extra backpack. It's why, for the most part, I'll choose a TT product over a 3P, they just get all the little details correct.

So you're right, FTs is a good Sunbow inspired Cliff, but this one IS Sunbow Cliff. It really shouldnt be a surprise to you with how many of us prefer MP-45 or 52 over DS-01, that we would prefer this Cliffjumper. He is right in line with what TT have been doing.

• Like Like x 16
  11. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

His point misses the point, as does yours. I'm saying I'm surprised people prefer the TT design to the FT one. Let me be clear: subjectively, I don't like either one of them. Objectively, however, one looks markedly "cleaner" than the other, and friends of mine who prefer the cartoon aesthetic don't like messy kibble or compromised proportions, so I'm just basing my observations on that perspective. It has nothing to do with my personal preferences. If I was talking about what I like, I wouldn't have commented in this thread to begin with.

Why is it that people are so defensive about silly stuff like this? They jump on others like rabid dogs if people don't celebrate the things they appreciate. Honestly, I could care less if other people like what I like, or if they say as much. I'm sure I could share a list of my favorites and people could come up with a long list of things they don't like about them, and some of the negative comments might be legitimately fair. But hearing them wouldn't hurt my feelings, offend me, or change my mind. I guess I just assume other people would react similarly.

I'm glad you guys have choices, for sure. But yes, it surprises me that the majority doesn't favor the Fanstoys design. (And note, I'm actually wondering why you don't like something that I don't like.)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

THIS. This is a rational response. You actually read my comment literally instead of twisting it into an insult by seeking sarcasm that wasn't intended. I don't begrudge anyone their opinions, but what I find most interesting is the reasons behind them. Thank you for sharing your perspective-- I genuinely appreciate it.

• Like Like x 8
  13. franpincho

It sounds like the one getting his feelings hurt is you, for some odd reason. I'm just saying everyone likes different stuff, is all. Nothing defensive about that. Just a fact.

I couldn't care less either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No need to apologize, my feelings weren't hurt at all. :) 
    The reason I mentioned your preferences is because you led your statement with this (emphasis added by me):
    … and then you closed with this:
    … which is 100% a statement based in your preference, hypothetical as it may be.

If you take a look at Cliffjumper's character model next to the Masterpiece version and Parkour, the MP nails the proportions much more accurately. So toon-leaning fans who want a more accurate representation of that character model are most likely going to prefer TT's work, as Jarrod so eloquently described. :) 

Edit: I saw your response to one of franpincho's comments after posting what I did above and wanted to add a reply in response to what you said here:
    I just felt like I should clarify, I didn't mean to come across like this at all and maybe my throwing a :)  in at the end didn't really help to communicate my friendly tone as I hoped it would.

The reason I commented with what I did was that you've been very clear in the past about not liking the cartoon aesthetic and those of us who are regulars here are well aware of that. Didn't mean to come across as a rabid dog at all and I wasn't being defensive, it just really is surprising to me that you'd still be surprised by the preference for a version of a character that captures the animation model so well.

So apologies if I phrased things in a way where that caused my tone to be misinterpreted. I understand better now where you were coming from, and it seems that you have a better understanding of why this version is getting so much positive response. :) 

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  15. franpincho

I sure hope Skifire's reveal is not as lame as this one man.

Nothing lame as far as Cliffy, but this "reveal" is just weird. It's not even official ffs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

I quite vehemently dislike the principle of Sunbow animation accuracy to the extreme, but I think this Cliffjumper looks good regardless.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    *Deep breath*

Well, because it's not "silly". I know they're "just toys" but they're really not. This is our passion, this is our hobby. Most of us care a great deal about the franchise, spend a significant amount of money on it, spend too much time thinking about it, writing about it, researching it, etc, etc, etc. It's part of our lives.

Secondly...it's no surprise things have been...tense around these threads lately, especially compared to a even 2 or 3 years ago. Whatever has changed, I don't know exactly, but the "feeling" is definitely the most negative I've felt since joining in the early 2000s. And I'm sorry, but a lot of it, certainly feels intentional. Unfortunately, that means some of us are more reactionary, or feel the need to hold our ground more than we used to. Again, because it's our passion. They're not "just toys". And yeah, when someone appears to be, or is blatantly, attacking or trashing a figure or figures that you like quite a bit, it's only natural to feel the need to defend your viewpoint.

But more specifically, it's because of your first post here:

Intended or not, the words, and phrases I've bolded elicit a negative connotation. It reads like you can't possibly understand how someone could like something so "bad" (paraphrasing here). It's also....well, a little tedious to continuously read the same comments, by the same people, over and over again. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Thanks. It's been tough lately to actually compose a post like that, haha.

• Like Like x 16
  18. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is going to be the best Masterpiece Cliffjumper.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

• Like Like x 13
  19. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Don't be surprised. The alt-mode is spot on to the toon and I love it. That said, I'm also loving the look of Skids and Reboost. The transformations are still more complex than the mainline, so I'm happy we get the hybrid style (Hasui) and toon style. I'm not very picky with how my collection looks as long as the character is recognizable.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    And no disrespect to your view. Some do love it, and some don't. Those that don't love it, nothing wrong with that.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.