MP Cliffjumper prototype?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Teletran-1, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The reason why the gun is connected to his arm instead of being in his hand is probably because they couldn't properly get it in there. The photos clearly show that the person who took the photo didn't quite know what he was doing. :D  With Bumblebee too, you have to open his hand and close his hand while putting the gun in it, instead of putting the gun in his hand like you would do with any other Masterpiece. Don't quite know how to write this down, but those who own Bumblebee know what I'm talking about. ;)  They probably couldn't get the gun in his hand, so they stuck it in the port closest to his hand, which is actually used for transformation, to connect his arms together.

Cliffjumper will be licensed, but he'll come without any weapons. You'll have to buy Bumblebee, Cliffjumper and Hubcap, and then send in the barcodes from the boxes, to get a free weapon pack. Japan only of course. :D 

• Like Like x 6
  2. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah totally agree their intention will be to be licensed. I just hope that's how it turns out, and I don't see the mere existence as proof. Yet!

• Like Like x 1
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Just as with the Diaclone car robots, the Microman packaging for the mini cars has the car brand and type (in Japanese) front and center on the box.
    f334289259.1.jpg

I'd be very surprised if a Masterpiece Cliffjumper wasn't licensed, but we won't know for sure until he is officially announced.

• Like Like x 7
  4. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not certain about that, personally. I think, based on SS86 Jazz, they could have easily gotten away with it due to the stylization personally. But they didn't really need to try to get away with it in Bee's case. They had a good licensing relationship with VW already, so there wasn't really any barrier to them making it an officially licensed product.

I agree. Both CJ (And Jazz, and Bee) are definitely intended to be what they are. But the situation with Porsche (unless it's changed, which is what we're hoping this portends if it ends up being an official product) is distinct from VW, in that we have multiple examples (outside of MP) of alt modes that are clearly intended to be Porsches or evocative of Porsches, but that eschew the license through stylistic embellishment. Including one of the most screen accurate Jazzes in SS86 we've ever seen.

As such, if they wanted to release CJ without the Porsche license, I don't honestly think they would be in any way prohibited from doing so given how distorted it is (as you point out, even more so than the Beetle, even if it's clearly recognizable as one to Porsche enthusiasts.)

I don't think they'd do this, or want to do this, mind you. But I think they could if they had to. And I think they could have in Bee 2.0's case as well, had they not had the relationship they do.

In the case of Jazz on the other hand, since he'd likely be more intended to fall in with the other full sized carbots in the MP line, and since licensing is such a significant part of the line to date, I doubt they'd want to go the same stylization route. Which I suspect means they'd both need and want the Porsche license before pursuing an MP Jazz. (Plus it opens up more deco opportunities. Toon version, realistic livery with toy head version, etc. etc.)

In the case of Cliffjumper, I think they would pursue it being licensed simply because they want as many MP carbots to be officially licensed as possible, since that's a major appeal of the line. But not because they absolutely have to.

Basically this:
    That's basically what I was driving at by saying I suspect it's just more a matter of what they'd want to do than what they have to do, at least in Porsche's case. While I think either outcome is possible, they seem to want to go with licensing wherever possible for carbots in the MP line, as you said.

If, hypothetically, in this case they don't get it or pursue it and get away with it via the stylization of the alt mode for CJ - which I think is unlikely but at least possible - I don't think it's likely they'd do the same with Jazz. I think for Jazz they would definitely want the license. He's just too iconic a character, and I doubt they want to break with the entirety of the rest of the carbots made to date by suddenly making super stylized vehicle modes outside of the minibots.

Hopefully we'll find out one way or the other soon enough, though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    While I agree that they probably could release this without pursuing a license, an unlicensed Masterpiece car is unprecedented.
    It would be very odd for them to start doing it after 10 years, especially after the chibi Bumblebee this is based on was licensed.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Licensing is some murky-ass waters. The unlicensed SS86 Jazz, and for that matter the bulk of the cars in Earthrise, tell me that Hasbro can get much closer to actual vehicle designs without getting in trouble than we've been led to believe. I can only assume they've been playing it safe all these years, or that they themselves were not aware of just how close they could get, or didn't want to risk it. Or maybe the car companies don't care so much about these '80s-era out-of-production designs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I’d like to add this to the discussion. If TT went for a non-licensed version of CJ and did it in a way that’s out of line for them, it could spur any future relationships with other car companies. Especially if they tried something like that with Jazz. Don’t they have the ability to make toy cars like hot wheels or something? (I can’t think of the brand name in Japan) that might put a kink in that relationship too.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Yes, they have a scale car line they picked up from the merger which allows them to work out these licensing agreements. They have released Porsches and Ferraris in that line so they do have a working relationship with Porsche

• Like Like x 2
  9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Unless they do so with approval from Porsche.

Due to the way TT has handled their contact with other, independent members of the VW group (licensing the Beetle even for the chibi Bumblebee, changing Sunstreaker's design so he's packaged and sold as an existing Lamborghini and can subtransform into the toy/animation altmode) they probably created a lot of goodwill. It's not impossible that TT approached Porsche, Porsche said no and then they made a deal that if the altmode is different enough Porsche won't sue, per approval of Porsche.

Probably both.

When Hasbro brought over Car Robots they had to deal with three figures that were very clearly specific cars: a Lamborghini, a Dodge Viper and a Mercedes-Benz. Hasbro tried to fudge it and avoid licensing by making minor changes (like obscuring headlights). They were approached by one of those car companies that it still was too close and Hasbro agreed to pay for the license.

Very small changes are thus likely not enough, but they probably can get very close. And there are multiple mainline figures that are very easily identifiable as the real car and those are not licensed.

10. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara has, as far as I remember, never released prototype MP images in such an unprofessional state. They always show a grey primer coated prototype in a somewhat presentable pose. This isn't even test shot plastic and is in such a disheveled state all twisted and contorted, I find it hard to believe this is Takara. While it may be a leaked factory shot, unless I miss the official Takara press release, I am inclined to think this is a KO at the moment.

11. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    digi:

MPCliff.jpg

• Like Like x 30
  12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I took a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Definitely masterpiece takara. Look at that backpack

• Like Like x 3
  14. Veedox

Veedox Well-Known Member

I agree. If, by chance, this is a Takara Masterpiece Cliffjumper, then they did NOT get the Porsche license... The details on the feet do not match the Porsche bumper.
    At all. Every single detail is different and also do not match the animation model or the original toy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Guys, I keep trying to correct the colors but I can't get him to look right.
    20210728_132143.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    A ko of what?

Ppl are getting too hung up on the materials on a very early proto. 3P's don't tend to make proto figures like this, they're generally 3d printed or made from resin. It also makes sense that Takara would go chibi style after Bee and there's no reason to automatically assume Porsche would be dead against it. Unless you're still getting your news from the Binaltech years.

Wasn't bee v2 licenced? I can't remember.

Edit - yes he was. Stands to reason Takara will have approached Porsche too and going by this thread, succeeded.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    possible KO re-shell of v.2 Takara Bumble.

Not saying this is defiantly KO. Saying it does not fit Takara's past history of how they show their prototypes or even leaked photos have been shown.

Given the source, it might be legit.

18. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Takara hasn't. But this isn't a TT released prototype or reveal.

This is more along the lines of a testshot/prototype/proof of concept being illegally smuggled out of the factory. We're not supposed to know about this.

I've got a testshot of Universe/BW Primal which comes in different colours than the final release, which was also smuggled out of the factory and not an official release or tease. It coincidently also has a B5 marking written on the figure which I always interpreted as second run number 5, but perhaps means something completely different.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  20. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh - the prototype feet match the toon model bumper pretty much exactly...

20210728-182322.jpg
    cj.png

And that isn't far off the G1 toy. Only really differs with the panel lining around the pop-up lights...

20210728-184732.jpg

And that is pretty recognisable as a chibi caricature of the real car...

porsche-924-front.jpg

• Like Like x 14