MP Cliffjumper prototype?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Teletran-1, Jul 26, 2021.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They're a train wreck on Bumblebee too. But I like Cliffumper more than Bee and they got the head sculpt spot on.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The head is indeed fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yea. That’s the one thing they missed. But the whole perhaps had to do with the design of the vehicle and if it’s licensed, they probably went over a bunch of prototype designs with Porsche and VW before settling on the final design. Still, the backpack is more streamlined. I still want to get this one

4. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Yeah, they probably keep the driver gimmick, ruining the figure feet (that windows could easily go on the back side of the figure, if it wasn't for that gimmick)

5. Rubber John

Rubber John Toei all the way

Ebay:
    Yep, the new close-up image shows that it is still the slimmer face. Oh well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  6. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Feet are like that to give the illusion of having shorter feet from the front.
    download (3).jpeg download (2).jpeg
    You get 2 options, make them shorter in the front with back kibble, or make the cleaner but longer "clown shoe".

Only Cliffjumper that comes close is Hellion, and that takes a lot more liberties with the altmode
    download (4).jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno. I think I sorta see what you mean, but they don't look all that similar to me...

feet.png
    Untitled.png

???

Yeah in this case, unlike with bumblebee, they could have literally left the door windows in place connected to the roof and rear side window - nothing is in the way. That said, I really dont think it'd make much visual improvement. They already revised the hinge to tuck the window further in right up against the back of the leg, which makes an improvement, and if it wasn't there you still have all that foot mass behind the leg for the reasons @jackisking pointed out, so it wouldn't have any drastic impact, imho. So for very little gain you loose that gimmick which I personally dont care much for, but the door opened is a nice display option.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Looking at the few straight up KO's in my collection or pictures of others....yeah, no. There are many things about this that scream official, but the tampo'd Autobot symbol ain't one of them.

I only have one "test-shot", a recolour of the Ultra Gorilla Optimus Pimal for the universe release (but in different, nicer colours), and that definitely has the Hasbro Takara stamp. Of course, that was a straight repaint without any remoulding, unlike this which is a pretty heavy remould with all new parts.

But it should be in the same spot as with Bumblebee. And considering this is from all looks as good as ready and made by injection moulding it very likely should have the stamp if it's official.

9. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt it, because under the hood where Bee's is would be on display on the bot's back for CJ. I wonder if they maybe only stamp/machine that text onto the mould when they go into full production?

• Like Like x 3
  10. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    This looks soooo good! Like the original G1 Cliffjumper, this has tremendous amounts of different tooling that makes him far more than just a repainted Bumblebee. Other than transformation elements in the legs and arms, everything on this is different from bumblebee. Just looks superbly done, for such a small toy!

Takara needs to brag about this, not the train set! Hopefully this sees a Sept release. Don’t think I can wait til 2023.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Fitting a driver into alt mode wasn’t anything that compromised the feet, and it’s not a highly developed gimmick. More of a taking advantage of available space kind of thing.

There’s no place in the back assembly where the side windows would fit without adding bulk. Having them and the doors on the feet provides stability for Bumblebee, in the same way that the flip-out heel spurs on the Dartsuns or Sideswipe do.

Also, the doors opening isn’t a compromising feature, it’s simply something that makes use of the same hinge used to fold the doors under the feet.

Considering the shapes involved with the alt mode and the size of the figure, they managed to compress things pretty well.

Being able to cram Spike in the alt mode is a bonus feature that had little impact on the whole.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This figure feels like Takara's worst-kept secret. Why haven't they officially revealed it yet? :peoples: 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    What changed is the person handling and photographing the figure. Great job, @Otengu84 :D 

• Like Like x 6
  14. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I no longer feel like a man on a deserted island anymore.:lol  Its not a intentional gimmick if you have to half way transform him to use it. The Datsuns also have opening doors , but you literally have to flex plastic to use them as opening doors. Whereas Skids and Sunstraker were designed for the doors to open and do so effortlessly

• Like Like x 5
  15. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    *waves from other side of the island* :D 

Not to mention Spike barely fits in and it takes some serious work to get him in place and close up Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 4
  16. elburrito

elburrito Well-Known Member

Cliff looks spot on to me. Love the Chibi cartoon look. Would like to see all characters from season 1 done in this style. A blend of animated and MP.

• Like Like x 7
  17. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
  18. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

OK, where do I buy these factory rejects/stolen copies?

Since TT does not seem to want my $$$.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Mike Witwicky

Mike Witwicky Loyal Lieutenant

This feels like Takara's slowest, most drawn-out MP announcement ever.

• Like Like x 9
  20. feeiq90

feeiq90 Well-Known Member

agreed..for all we know, this might've been shelved like MP skyfire..who knows?