MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

So many awesome shots here! Great job, guys!

Took this one in honor of the late great TCracker.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 29
  2. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Beautiful, both the photo and sentiment!!

• Like Like x 6
  3. Dean ML

Thanks, brother! TCracker really paved the way and set the standard for TF photography, making it a real art form. An immense talent and a gem of a person. He's sorely missed!

• Like Like x 9
  4. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster No relation to the Autobot, ironically. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Obviously joined too late to know the guy, but that son of a gun knew how to take some fucking photos. RIP brother, and may God bless you.

Great as usual, Dean, my man!

• Like Like x 10
  5. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

Great photo.

Honestly he is the reason I kept my pre-order for MP-44. I was going to cancel my pre-order from AJ because I just wasn't feeling the look of the toy from the photos and didn't think I needed another Optimus Prime for my MP collection. Now that I have him, I always place him in the front of the group as a sort of memorial to what he would have thought of the toy. Plus this is probably the most complicated and insanely engineered toy of my collection so far.

Although I have yet to transform either of my 36 Megatrons...

• Like Like x 7
  6. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    I still need to get 44, haha. Whether I sell MP-10 before or not is up for grabs, but this thing is too good to pass up.

Also yeah, i'm never transforming my MP-36, I don't wanna risk the paint chipping. I'll probably get either the THF or IT Megatron just for the sake of having it in gun mode, should I be that hung up about it way later.

7. betsuni

Don't wait too long because by then you'll have to decide between MP-44 and MP-44+ and you'll end up wanting to get both.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dean ML

Thanks so much, bro! God bless you as well!

No surprise I'm sure, but my opinion is that MP-10 doesn't hold a candle to 44 if you're looking for cartoon accuracy, articulation, extensive paint, gimmicks/accessories/display options. I know some have spun this release as a "qc disaster" and not everyone's had a great experience, but the knees on both my copies still work like new. Even if they go out the fix is easy. The grey paint on his chest stripe and toes and his yellow crotch bits scrape fairly easily, but this is remedied with a protective clear coat. The curved antennae are easily straightened by hand in a few minutes. Only real problem I've had is that I blew out the left hip/thigh joint on my deskbot copy from posing him almost daily for the last 10 months! Even then I managed to fix it. Some of the best $325 I've ever spent!

Love that you think of 44 as a sort of memorial to TCracker, man. Besides taking gorgeous pro quality shots and being great at posing the figures, he was such a skilled and creative storyteller! The Insecticons stealing Energon behind Megatron's back is one of my favorites of hi.

As far as transforming Megatron goes, if you remove his face and chest you soulld be fine. Worth it to experience it at least once!

• Like Like x 8
  9. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Agreed. I don’t see the point in owning a transformer if you don’t transform it :p 

• Like Like x 2
  10. betsuni

Hahahaha, all too true! Honestly it just dawned on me today that I have yet to transform either of them (I have both 36 and 36+). So that is on my bucket list to do as soon as possible.

Yep, his photos and stories were one of the ones I looked forward to on these forums. I did take a photo of MP-44 holding a sword and lowering his head as a tribute to TCracker that I kept to myself. Mainly because I figured I would take a photo of MP-44 in an action shot like he would then share it in homage to him. But everybody did much better ones than I could think of so I just left it at that.

Thanks for the suggestion on making the transformation of 36 much easier. I will try it out soon and have Prime pose with Megatron.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Meant that mainly for TCracker, but ah what the hell? I could hand out "God bless you"s all day! Haha.

I still love my MP-10 to DEATH. That Prime has been around since near the start of my collection. My first 3 MPs (excluding my accidental KO Shockwave, which if you want, i'm happy to tell the story about) were my MP-02 Soundwave, my Asia Exclusive Grimlock (aka King Grimlock in regular colors) and MP-10 Prime. He's one of my favorite pieces if not my absolute in my collection. And I have the pics to prove it, haha. Easily top 3 alongside SHF Goku and Gutto Kuru Noriko (best girl, fight me), ironic photo op proves that point too!

20191213_160645.jpg

That's the thing though. The sentiment. That and the money is what keeps me from hitting "Buy" as we speak. I'd likely have to sell MP-10 in order to get some funds together and go for 44. While I REALLY want 44, the sentiment with 10 is the only real hesitant at play.

This thing, while more susceptible to some QC issues in all fairness, is NOT a colossal disaster in any light. MP-44 IS MASTERPIECE. And i'm saying without doubt that he'll take MP-10's spot as the kingpin of the collection once I ever get him in in hand.

Prime unfortunately is likely going to be of low priority at the moment due to the METRIC ASSTON of pre-orders I have open, and also i'm in the planning stages of renovating my entire room by switching out almost all if not all my furniture. Making some more space for figures (as I have almost exhausted ALL the current space for my figures around the room) and getting some more smart bulbs, etc. But most importantly, nabbing some new PC parts, as i'm transitioning from an Intel system to an AMD Ryzen system, with all the old parts going into my closet, which I plan on clearing out and setting up as a makeshift voice-over/recording booth, with my figureboxes acting as some homebrew acoustic treatment. Kinda also why I never posted pics of my entire collection as of yet.

I'm also in the same party as @betsuni with Megatron, though in all fairness, i've tried my hand at it twice, but backed out due to fear of chipping that beautiful paint. My OCD would just eternally flare should something be wrong with his paint, haha. It's the reason why I sold my second copy of MMC Incursus, if that has anything to say about the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are the antenna and knee mechanisms easy to remove just by using a JIS screwdriver?

• Like Like x 1
  13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So smmmmooooooooooootthhh!!!

He'd be really proud of that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  14. GodParticle

GodParticle Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a match for the white paint? I have a tiny scuff that I think I got transforming and figured I'd touch it up. I saw a pdf, but no white there

Also, would anyone happen to know a match for megatron's hip skirt paint? Mine from years ago came with scratches and would be nice to try and touch that up while I'm at it

15. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Solidworks noob.

News Credits:
    Darn... working on it right now... it’s just hard to get ahold of paints recently. I had a paint mixture for megs a while back... I’ll keep this in mind. If I ever fix up my megs before a response, I’ll get back to ya.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dean ML

Btw guys, be careful raising his thighs alllll the way up to his yellow underwear bits. After my deskbot copy's left hip/thigh joint went out, I took it apart to see what I could do and saw that the white thigh post and the blue crotch post it attaches to were worn out. There's a stop built in to that joint and I didn't realize I was repeatedly pushing the thigh past that stopping point from all the deep kneeling poses I put him in over the past year. So feel free to raise his thighs up, but they should stop just below those yellow bits.

I never got around to taking my usual turnaround shots for my favorite figure, MP-44, so I went ahead even if it feels redundant at this point. Man, whatta lovely sculpt! I just can't get over this guy, even ten months after his release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  17. GodParticle

GodParticle Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do you have a pic showing how the legs can go up before hitting the stopper?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dean ML

Just raise them up and you'll feel a soft stop just before they contact the yellow block. Don't force them to touch that yellow block, which is what I was doing.

• Like Like x 4
  20. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    i always wondered if that was how some people were blowing their Dinobot's shoulder out. You can raise his arm almost parallel to his body, but when you to the point one more click will have the arm parallel in the air you get resistance which is probably when you should stop. Someone had a video showing their broke Dinobot, and that's exactly what he did, he was powering right through the resistance and ended up with the busted shoulder joint. Going over the bump probably creates enough space to knock the tooth out.

• Like Like x 3