MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's never the wrong thread to tell someone to avoid a $450 trap for a ~$100 solution.

It's like with MP-36 Megatron... the Transformer no sane man will transform lest they scuff the gorgeous paint job. I hope folks enjoy the grey gun barrel.Putting the black silencer on top of it is good for one use before it scrapes the paint off. The KOs do not have this problem. The KOs are actually "transformers" rather than action figures you can transform safely once.

Don't get me wrong, both are works of art and at the core of my collection. But before MP-44 came out, pretty much everyone said "boy this better not be another MP-36 paint job episode at that price tag". And sure enough, it was. But this time with knees that were engineered that way for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MSWF377

MSWF377 Michael Scarn

Ebay:
    Actually it is. This is the “mp44 appreciation thread” there are plenty of other places to discuss plagiarism

• Like Like x 7
  3. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Wrong thread (forum for that) to say Chineses are correct on anything.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tomac66

tomac66 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you, but things would still be missing, especially a part of the waist more faithful to the design of the television series.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xjsb125

xjsb125 Well-Known Member

Snagged MP-44 on an eBay sale for $398 before taxes, from a US based seller. I'm excited to have him in the collection, although I'm apprehensive about all of the QC issues, but hopefully I've learned enough here to avoid creating issues for myself. I do have a KO preordered to have to transform and play around with. Still, I'm amped to have another official MP in the fold!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Special Agent OSO

Special Agent OSO Member

Instagram:
    Hopefully this falls under the discussion aspect

BUT how am I supposed to be aware that my knee is going to break or is it just inevitable?

I read in the fix thread that the guy felt resistance when bending it but mine is smooth.

8. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ok so the break isn’t really inevitable; some people will have this figure their entire lives with no breaks. Mine isn’t broken. The trick really is to just keep an eye on which joints you engage first. Make sure the top knee hinge is engaged first. Of course you can also always open up the knee and glue the culprit in place with @BrutiKing ’s guide.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Special Agent OSO

Special Agent OSO Member

Instagram:
    Ah. Thank you. I swear I was stressing the most about it lol.

10. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

I'm not remotely mechanically inclined, and I fixed the knees easily after I was done pouting and raging on the threads. Tried crazy glue at first and that held for awhile but it was not a permanent solution. I got the two part gorilla glue epoxy. It took forever to cure but that shit is solid once it does. No issues since, and I'm wicked heavy handed. Candidly I think it's an inevitable issue if you pose it frequently, and I can't be convinced otherwise. If you more of the display over play type though it'll hold up just fine. Not me though. I dropped full retail and I'm going to enjoy every second of it. Also don't know if you're into chug but the earthrise prime is pretty dope, and I keep that on my night stand if I just need a transformation fix.
    Edit: should add despite some of the heart ache, it still ranks in my top two favorite mps of all time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trip

Trip Prudentia Fortitudo Temperantia Iustitia

You can always get both and appreciate both. No such thing as too many red and blue trucks in a collection as far as I'm concerned. I have an embarrassing amount of prime figures official, 3p, ko, etc but I always feel compelled to support the official even though they torture my soul with their releases at times.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. xjsb125

xjsb125 Well-Known Member

I finally had a chance to break mine out of the box this evening. Since this is an appreciation thread, I'll stick to all the good things. I like the coloring on this figure just a little bit more than my TE Prime. The white legs, and the grey stripe under the windows look better than the TE in my opinion. I like the front windows and the transformation for them. I have a V2 TE Prime and that is the one thing I just dont like on it. In all it took me about 45 minutes to get him transformed, though I had to follow along with Emgo's JTI video to get there. No intent to transform this one back to truck mode, I'll save that for the KO. Great head sculpt, and I like the hands too. I love the trailer, coloring and design of it. It looks awesome. Prime's cannon is so much better than the MP-10 version. Lastly, there are a lot of accessories with this figure. I don't know if I will ever make use of them all, but there's a lot there. Overall, I still prefer the TE mold, but the MP-44 version of Prime is pretty cool, and I'm happy to have another authentic MP in my lineup. No buyer's remorse here.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    This entire thread was made to discuss MP-44 without the negativity experienced in the MP-44 thread in the news/rumors right after the price reveal and issues revealed right after release. This isn't a suckup thread. The negativity in the news/rumors thread was excessive hence why this thread was even created.

Those of you who want to complain about MP-44 have other threads to complain in. You want the KO or 3p options? Discuss it in our 3p forum. We are trying to curb the whole Hasbro/Takara VS 3p/KO flamefests that tend to come up.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    I’m looking forward reissues of this guy and MP-47. Can’t come soon enough!

• Like Like x 4
  15. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm trying to hold out, but I'm starting to wonder with them delaying reissues like BW Megatron and Dinobot, We may be waiting longer than expected.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Both Megatron and Dinobot are available right now on several sites, why are you expecting a reissue?

17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Does anyone know what's the closest Tamiya paint OR Pantone swatch to the blue paint or blue parts used on MP-44?

• Like Like x 1
  18. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I WANT to say that @BrutiKing (?) my have made an extensive list of paints in the fix thread. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: May most likely have been by @Jarrod

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    I believe it's on my pdf.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I found it in my files cause I stole it, now I need to figure out how to get it to @Shin Densetsu Lol

• Like Like x 2