MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Nov 28, 2018.

1. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Plenty of time. We’ll all have time to order this beast. And the best part is that you pay when he ships.

Come on, Bezos!

• Like Like x 5
  2. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    so the gun stores behind the cab? pretty cool. I can't wait to have this in hand. it is truly a masterpiece. The s1 head is too funny with how derpy it is. I love the round "ears" it has and the eye shape. Also really pleases to see the starscream head. happy that it doesn't have that horrible goatee anymore, and the eyes are properly big. the color of the SS face seems too bright, but it's miles better than mp11. overall i'm very happy with what we're getting. I'll preorder on AJ day 1, and if hasbro releases it stateside then I'll double dip. I do wish the blue was redder and grayer giving it a purple desaturated tinge as shown in the toon, but that's a minor minor nitpick imho.

• Like Like x 8
  3. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was too light at first, but it depends on the scene in some his face is lighter like that, in others his face is the darkest of the three seekers

• Like Like x 2
  4. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmmm I missed that. I also wonder what it is.

5. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

It's likely just a peg for the stand. Most of the time they make them clear to help hide them in photography.

That said, magnificent. I sold a few MPs earlier this year (Starscream, MP-10, Hasbro Soundwave set) to clear space for their eventual remakes and updates. One of three down and I'm quite pleased with the outcome, especially since he has two faces and I can put on the classic TV face and use that instead of the much "older" looking one. Now to wait for Starscream and Soundwave+... soon I'll have everything I need from G1, I think...

• Like Like x 3
  6. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    I think SS's head is always meant to be a dark gray with the helmet being a darker (almost) black. It's fine either way to me. His face is typically painted silver for the toys so there's that, but a dark gray would have been nicer to me. Again nitpicks! I work with color A LOT so these things bother me more than most.

Back to Prime. Looking forward to seeing the hi res pics from AJ.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 23
  8. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I am very impressed by this new MP-44 MP Optimus Prime figure. If you want a “walked straight out of the toon” Prime it surely can’t get much better than this guy! The accessories are also very cool. I really like the jet pack and human figures. I personally still prefer MP-10 but I can see how this would be the ultimate Optimus for many fans. A lot of people will truly love this figure!

However my next comments might see me come under serious fire… I’m sure the vast majority won’t agree with me but it’s how I see it.

Based on the pics I’ve seen so far, to me MP-44 looks more toon than even MP-36. Megatron is pretty toon but still a little in the middle of MP-10 and MP-44. V3 Prime sort of looks to me like a lovely standalone premium “toon” figure. Especially when I see him pictured with the Starscream accessories. He has moved much further away from the original MP figures than even Megatron. It’s been like a gradual move to 100% full toon from MP-22 through to MP-44 with the pinnacle of toon being Optimus Prime. This has been in addition to the more complex engineering as the line has continued to allow for this 100% toon look.

It kind of fits with how the to me the MP line appears to be heading since Sunstreaker, premium versions of toon figures with more serious engineering and price tags, thus released much less frequently.

If I were to own MP-44 (an expensive purchase as he is heading towards $700 in my country), he wouldn’t sit with my other MP, I would have him on his own as sort of a Transforming statue. An ode to the cartoon. Maybe if he does get a stripped down Hasbro release I would jump on that one for this purpose. Either way I think MP-44 is going to look great in the Masterpiece Appreciation thread!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    With the official pics now out, I think the chances of the G1 Japanese voice actor for Prime to unveil a color sample and talk about it at Tokyo Comic Con on Saturday are much higher now. Hopefully Yuki can join onstage and show off the gimmicks.

S1 head...more articulation for Sparkplug and Spike...the crane arm for the drone gun doubling as a display stand....oh man.... WANT!

HOLD UP...when Prime uses the stand...does the drone gun with cockpit become a giant HANDGUN?! Where does it go?

Hey @Dean ML are you going to use this figure as reference for drawings? I sure as hell will!

• Like Like x 3
  10. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is my absolute favorite. I love that Sparkplug can put is arm around his son.

This one's my next favorite. The smokestacks must have some way of moving out of the way for the bicep swivel.
    [​IMG]

Spike has a face, and shirt details!
    [​IMG]

It's cool that his gun has a place to go in truck mode.
    [​IMG]

I think this is what was meant by being able to hold 3 figures at once.
    [​IMG]

This absolutely sells it! This and the movie fight are the scenes I'm really excited to recreate.

Looks like it's silver for the movie head and blue for the S1 head.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  11. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Do it lion king style bro !

• Like Like x 2
  12. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Totally did not notice that!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Arufonsa

Arufonsa Well-Known Member

Man does this guy look good. That price tag though... Ugh I guess I just have to admire him from afar Takara has officially priced me out.

14. SelectedLime375

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah I didn't notice it at first, either.

Also just noticed how glossy the paint on the top of the cab is. You can see the reflection of his smokestack in it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I want to have MP Thrust facing the grill to see if the chrome finish will mirror Thrust's face right when Prime is about to excavate his soul from the back of his head

• Like Like x 9
  16. SelectedLime375

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    And I just remembered the Siege figures showed up in my area tonight. I got Cog and Flywheels, but totally forgot about it when I saw these pictures. Man I'm even excited for the repaints. I'm going to have to get the toy Megatron deco to go with the toy version of this guy. I love the toon, but the G1 toy and comic have some kind of weird pull on me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    the question is: are the lambos removable from the trailer or are they molded in there?

• Like Like x 1
  18. SelectedLime375

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh hey, I know this was pointed out before on the prototype, but it's clearer here with the silver. The smokestacks "turn" into the center of the shoulder. That's probably how they move out of the way for the bicep, @chchchch .
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ah yes, that's probably it. I had noticed that they swiveled in on the grey prototype, but I was only thinking that was necessary for transformation. Makes sense that can be used to get out of the way of the biceps.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  20. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

I honestly prefer the proportions of the Magic Square mold, but those cutoff/hollow upper thighs are a travesty and lets not even get into the truck mode. #NotMyPrime :D 

• Like Like x 1