MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Nov 28, 2018.

1. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who has quite a few Bandai stuff...

LOL, NOPE!

I can already imagine lots of parts-forming, highly questionable engineering decisions worse than the current TT knees-issue, joints getting loose quickly, important accessories being expensive separate add-ons, and of course, extremely limited stocks-availability shenanigans.

So, a Bandai TF-MP44 is a BIG NOPE for me!

• Like Like x 5
  2. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Apparently Ratchet Now.

News Credits:
    I dunno. I think Bandai would take a different approach to transformers, since the point of them is to transform preferably without partsforming.

3. Macrossprime83

Macrossprime83 Active Member

Figuarts right? Just making sure because the Ragnorok's Gladiator Hulk and Infinity War Hulk are basically my favorite figures from the Figuarts line. I would defenity put Figuarts Evil Majin Buu to a close third.

I should be getting MP-44 soon. I will be wearing gloves when I handle it because it will go back in its cardboard prison once I inspect it LOL. I am very happy I bit the bullet on this one. Can't have a robot collection without a definitive Optimus Prime.

4. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Says who? I’m with @treatment , Bandai would focus more on a “perfect” looking robot mode, sacrificing transformation complexity with partsforming and other non-preferable shortcuts. Takara puts a lot of love into their transformations and I think that gets overlooked quite often because most people aren’t into the fandom for the conversion (unlike me).

• Like Like x 6
  5. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    Lol , dont even let bandai touch transformers. You lots would shit on jt harder than mp44

Perfect chrome job ? It got smudged way too easily.
    And no , not everything from bandai has light up eye.
    And beautiful paintjob ? I might invite some people with heckful of paint blemishes come to you.
    Not even bandai is perfect

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Macrossprime83

No DX Chogokin Prime? Man you are crazy. I am one of the few people that doesn't mind a parts former. Hand swapping is NECESSARY to accommodate various action poses!! I mean how awesome would it be if MP-44 had swapable punching fists?

I'm still grateful we finally have a 3.0 prime. Please don't get me wrong

7. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    ...Prime 3.0’s hands make fists. Really good fists too.

8. Macrossprime83

my experience with Bandai has been phenomenal my friend. Come join us LOL

good yes, but not "really" good :gen069: 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2019
  9. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    I'm in the fandom mostly for the conversions too. I really like transforming my masterpieces without instructions. (I even did that with MP-44 when I first opened it and luckily didn't have any problems) Same for MP-36. Probably my top 5 MP Transformations (in order) would be MP-44, MP-36, MP-39, MP-33, MP-17. Prowl is real fun to flip through.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Macrossprime83

Thanks my friend. I am glad I'm not alone on this. Waiting is hell when you see all the good reviews on this guy. Paik4life, Tman978, and Koolkollectibles have been my favorite reviewers so far.

solid weight as it should be. Thank you :) 

It's a good thing now shush

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Oh I know how you feel. This hobby is just full of anticipation. Keeping myself busy lets me do other things than worry about it.

I tried doing that with MP-44. Looked at it all up and down, left and right like I would a rubik's cube. Then I gave up and looked at the instructions :lol  BTW, have you come up with the color match to the grey parts on his ribs yet? Or what brand would make one that would be more or less a match?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    Ah. @Jarrod I believe has come up with a match for the grey parts for the ribs. Even though he has done his, I think I'll make a mixture of my own as an alternative tomorrow. I noticed that MP-44 has 2 different greys: The grey on the abs and the crest, then the grey on the face, which is ever so slightly darker, glossier, and more metallic. Sorry for taking so long.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    It's ok. I was hoping to just pick up some paint at the hobby store to fix that one iddy biddy paint chip on one side of his ribs :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    Grey is the only one where I think you might need an airbrush lol. Handbrushing lacquer isn’t the best of ideas unless you’re very careful. Also, for grey, you’ll probably pick up 3-4 tiny bottles of paint as well as a bottle of thinner for my tutorial :p 

15. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've got an airbrush. I used to do customs...but I started procrastinating, and then I more or less just stopped since I don't really have as much time to do any anymore. For the matte look on the ribs, I usually go with a matte clear coat which works out pretty well :) 

The last one I actually completed was this guy:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  16. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    Not sure if you usually do this, but I would recommend a gloss coat before the matte coat, as gloss is more durable. I’m sure you probably do this already, but I’ll leave it here just in case

That Green Lantern Prime looks really cool btw!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Thanks :D  I normally do mine with acrylic based paints that aren't gloss. Easier to work with for me. I've painted up some seekers using the same kinda paint, and they're still transformable (except for one that is pretty 'shitty', but that's another topic for another day) :)  For something like MP-44 in general, yeah I'd go with gloss especially since it has so many moving parts. But that's if I started doing customs again :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Macrossprime83

Just watched TMreviews review. He pulled out a lemon as well :( 

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Same here. MP-44 goes from a realistic cab to cartoon robot, that kind of transformation inversion isn't what Bandai is known for, Bandai is known for straightforward transformation. Unless you just leave their stuff on shelf looking pretty, their tampo markings can rub off when posing, I don't think anyone has a pristine paintjob on the nose/LERX sections of their DX VF-25's/27's if it's been through a number of transformations.

In addition, if Bandai made a transforming SOC Prime the articulation more than likely wouldn't be as expressive as MP-44, they'd probably save that for for a non-transforming SOC FA release. In addition, if they went the anime accurate route, they'd probably opt for a cleaner sculpt and emphasize that more than articulation and may even resort to parts-forming(going by their SOC DC releases). They'd probably also use diecast ball joints(which tend to loosen up notoriously on their DX Macross Frontier toys) and spring pins(which have cracked hinges over time on some of their toys). They'd also probably use less ratchets.

I think a SOC Prime from Bandai would probably look like TE-01 with hindered range of motion for the hips for an animation version and a chromed out version later on.

So I'd rather take Takara's MP-44 over what Bandai would probably come up with for an Optimus Prime. Bandai has good finish but Takara has always had better transformation engineering to me.

MP-44 is able to go from a realistically detailed(mold-wise) truck cab to an animation accurate robot mode with no parts swapping for transformation and can match poses almost on par to the upcoming non-transforming Revoltech Optimus Prime. That's something not normally expected from a transforming figure, especially one that doesn't require parts swapping for transformation. In years past, a mass produced transforming figure(without parts swapping needed for transformation) nearly on par with Revoltech poseability in robot mode was unheard of. Yet MP-44 is able to do so.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    i left a remark that Soul Of Chogokin equivalent in our Transformers realm are , imo , those Fanstoys figures . Their transformation , the paintjob and hardware are almost exact same from SOC book. , which is why I don't enjoy them.
    I'm having SOC Godmars in display in my cabine. It's literally a giant brick. Formed from 6 smaller bots , the torso bot is technically a big brick , those limb bots fare better , saves for the minibot which is still not as articulated as MP-44.
    I experienced a lot of SOC figure and lemme tell all these people that while they look undeniably great on display , there is a reason that MP-44 , out of all high end figure , receive such award. The QC is truly unfortunate turn of event , but aside from that ? it's a phenomenal figure

• Like Like x 7