MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the same vein as this thread we had on MP-27:

MP-27 Ironhide Discussion Thread

I'm not particularly interested in spending the next 9 months reading through the hundreds of 'it's too expensive', 'I'll buy the KO' or 'I prefer MP-10' comments that will undoubtedly clog the news thread, so let's leave those three topics at the door shall we?

Yes, it's expensive, yes the KO will be cheaper, yes some people prefer MP-10. :thumb  Phew, glad that part's over! :lol 

I still want to give TFW2005 a chance (unlike plenty of others who have already jumped ship), so let's have a thread where we can talk about MP-44 and actually maybe even get excited about it without being judged for being idiots and spendthrifts :eek: 

MP-44 Optimus Prime
    Release Date: 24th August 2019
    Price: 50,000JPY

Amazon Japan pre-order link:

Amazon.co.jp: こちらもどうぞ: トランスフォーマー マスターピース MP-44 コンボイ Ver.3.0

Photos:

Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-16.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-01.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-08.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-15.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-18.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-17.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-13.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-19.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-20.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-14.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-12.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-07.jpg Hasbro-Takara-Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-44-Optimus-Prime-Version-3-Promo-22.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scan0055.jpg

Page 6c.JPG
    Page 7c.JPG
    Page 8 and 9c.jpg
    Page 10c.JPG
    Page 11c.jpg

Page 82c.JPG Page 83c.jpg
    Page 84c.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 17.58.22.png Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 17.58.17.png Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 17.58.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 17.58.41.png

Production test shot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Generations 2019 interview translated from Chinese to English by @opoptimus:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm Chinese so before the real masters of translation step in, I'll try my hand on this third hand translation. All credit goes to the original op on Baidu; they said it was a very rough translation, but I found it quite on point.

1: When did the project planning start?
    We normally start planning for an MP project a long time in advance, this was started from back in December 2016. At that time we still thought MP10 (Convoy 2.0) was the best/definitive OP, but looking at the time line from 1.0 to 2.0, a 3.0 would be on the table sooner of later, so we started planning real early.

2: Where did you start?
    The first thought was "to surpass OP 2.0", but we couldn't quite imagine exactly what counts as "surpass" at the beginning. We thought of areas of improvement, for example a more accurate mouth plate, better articulation etc. Also the comparability with MP 36. we wanted to do a cartoon accurate Optimus just like MP 36 Megatron. So we drew up an Optimus with ideal proportions then started to think about the mechanism within,

3: It'd be difficult to recreate a cartoon accurate Optimus?
    For example the truck wind shield and the 'bot mode chest. The angle and height-width ratio are both different. In the past we would find a middle ground between truck and bot then achieve a balanced look by detail design. But this time around, we really wanted to recreate this difference in physical form. Although MP 10 has quite an involved transformation, the parts placement actually follows the G1 toy. But in order to create the definitive Optimus, we were willing to change it up this time around. If it couldn't surpass OP 2.0 this project would be pointless.

4: Proportions have evolved too!
    From past experience designing Optimus, the balance in the cab and back section is very tricky. First it's the size of 'bot mode chest; it'd be too wide to be toon accurate if using the truck wind shield directly. Also the trailer hitch section needs to be thin in order for the trailer to sit at a proper height, but on the other hand Optimus' legs are long and thick in the cartoon so kind of mass shift between modes, it's very difficult to achieve a balance.

5: How did you solve this?
    We had a flash of genius to move the mass as solution, so that in 'bot mode the volume in the legs is increased and volume in the chest decreased. So we came up with the transformation to move some of mass on the side of the cab to the lower half of 'bot mode. We used to have to put a lot of effort into concealing the arms seamlessly into the cab, with this design it's automatically solved as well.

6: What an amazing idea!
    But here comes the color problem: the upper body (cab) is red and the lower body is blue. So we had to hide the red surface within the legs, with the rear tires too.

7: The tires have finally disappeared
    The rear tires are narrow and rotate to conceal inside the legs. We felt this is a must.

8: Another evolution in design is a clean and flat waist.
    Finally able to make the waist flat (LOL). Initially we though of the same mechanism as Megatron. Then we wanted to achieve better articulation without breaking up the sculpt, so this time the waist doesn't have the articulated front skirt pieces but has an automatic mechanism where if the thighs move up the skirts retract. And we made them pop back up automatically as well.

9: The double knee joint gives off an action figure impression
    This is a modern construction we only started to pay attention to recently. The friction resistance in the the two joints is different, so only when the first joint is bent to a certain degree then would the second joint engage. So that in normal posing only one joint is engaged to keep the body proportions. Because MP 36 has incredible articulation, this Optimus definitely needs to be able to match up with that.

10: The trailer has several new gimmicks, a lot more play value
    We thought if the trailer isn't re-made properly, it wouldn't be called Optimus 3.0, so we can't have a similar trailer to MP 10's. So we thought about what gimmicks hadn't been done before. For example the mobile artillery in "Fire in the Sky". We thought it could be formed from the battle station with wheels added.

11: Using Roller to drag the artillery; seems like a very Takara-esque Sci-Fi design
    Yeah we wanted to include this kind of Takara-esque Sci-Fi gimmick similar to Diaclone. The figures included have magnets on the bottom of their feet so they can stand on the deck etc. Although it's not an official way to play, you can have this interact with the Diaclone figures as well. This sort of product cross over play pattern is something we'd love to see.

12: There are two styles of head sculpt..lots of accessories!
    Because there's two drawing styles in the G1 cartoon so we made two head sculpts. And the head is removable so that scene from "City of Steel" where Bumblebee is holding Prime's detached head can be recreated.

13: I almost forgot there's that episode where Prime had a jet pack...
    Yup he sure did.

14: What's with Starscream's head and the intakes
    To recreate that certain scene lol.

15: So technically it's not Prime
    Yep, so yeah these can't be stored inside the trailer (does it sound like an excuse? lol)

16: Which part to design has most effort gone into?
    The trailer. Although the cab is always more important and the trailer just kinda needs to be a square box, its thickness is quite hard to get right. Making it too thick would effect the overall height, so it took several tries to get to where we are.

17: Something not in the cartoon?
    We've made slight changes to the toes and added bumper-like details so they look more realistic.

18: Would this product be the benchmark for future releases just like MP 10 did before?
    MP 10 already had the design philosophy of "recreating the cartoon". In a sense we finally arrived at a time where we can face the origin of Transformers, where staying true to that source material without modifying or compromising can be viewed as a good thing.

19: Now that the project is finally done and dusted, how do you feel?
    Feel like "we've done everything we could". This is Optimus Prime after all, so we put in our heart and soul. At the same time even if we overdid it, Prime would forgive us (LOL). After MP44, the MP benchmark might have been raised again!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 40
  2. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I wonder what the Spike/ Carly/ Sparkplug figures will be like? More detailed than the MP-10 figures?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    HOLD UP, the source was TFND? Wow okay I can get onboard the hype train further. That list has a LOT of extras. By detachable anti air turret, I wonder if they mean taking the guns off the drone to attach to Prime like the G2 missle launcher backpack?

Also 3 kinds of figures to be placed on a stand...the trailer itself becomes a multi-figure display stand?

Hoping for more details to be revealed. At Chohenken I read the G1 voice actor for Prime is taking part in the Bumblebee movie panel and they think more about MP44 will be revealed in a few days.

Makes sense given that pricing was just revealed this week.

Make them Dianauts and = instant want

• Like Like x 5
  4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Honestly the accessories should have been sold seperatly. That it itself might knock off $100 or so.

Really hope this gets “neutered”, as I do wanted it but I don’t like KOs.

EDIT: I also have to wonder if maybe they know it isn’t going to sell that well at a price above $350, so the number of units made has been lowered, which would inturn increase the production costs... but still.

• Like Like x 1
  5. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

So could the Carly figure be like the Marissa figure that came with Delta Magnus?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Wouldn't be surprised if it got released sans extras later on. Going by the rumor, there's already enough in there for 3 more releases:
    • Standard release, just Prime and trailer and Roller, usual weapons, no extras
    • S1 release with rounder head
    • Movie release with angular head
    Now those each I wouldn't be surprised if they're 30-35K yen or less.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 22.23.26.png Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 22.23.21.png

I'm not expecting more detail than the Chip Chase or Raoul figures we got, and quite possibly the days of articulation are behind us.

The 1/35 scale minifigures are interesting because they really do scale correctly to the robot modes, based on a lot of scenes. I guess every MP has mass-shifting, not just Megatron.

Makes me wonder if we'll get a larger seated Spike figure with Hound, or if they'll just go with the hologram from the first episode.

I didn't like the articulated figures that came with MP-10 or the Magnuses, but I kinda fell for the little Chip that came with MP-39. Glad to be getting the other three humans, even in their under-detailed forms!

Oh yes good picking up on that! Three MPs all floating above Prime's trailer would be all sorts of epic.

I think the detachable anti-air turret is this one:

[​IMG]

Yeah, the same voice actor who just rerecorded new audio for the sound chip will be at Comic Con. Would be pretty awesome to see him holding up the new MP-44 (awesome for the Japanese fans, at least! Equivalent of Peter Cullen holding it up for us).

• Like Like x 6
  8. chucksbikeorama

chucksbikeorama Decepticreep

I never knew Roller could do that!

Also that’s a metric ton of accessories

9. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    How big are Dianauts?I thought about that early this morning when the information was revealed,hope they are pretty much the same size, I like my Chip

10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if they're smaller than Chip, I think they're scale is 1/60?

If we are getting a detachable antiaircraft turret that right there is giving me Diaclone vibes. Makes me think of the initial Battle Convoy prototype for Diaclone with different guns. Hell, talk about Convoy coming full circle!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually the Dianauts are even smaller than Spike (about half the size, maybe?). I think not having articulation in recent humans is as much an aesthetic choice as cost.

Hasui actually designed MP-10's Roller to be able to do that with the G1 toy's hose (not enough budget to include it with MP-10. I almost wonder if Hausi's the one who demanded this finally be in this release! :lol )

Don't think Roller ever did that in the cartoon, though.

It's possible that they don't plan to repaint this ten times as they did with MP-10, so they want to recoup costs from the get-go. Then, it's Convoy. They are definitely charging a premium because they can (every collection needs an Optimus Prime), and hey maybe Hasbro will bring a trailer-less edition stateside for $150-200. Who knows?

Anyway, let's not worry too much about pricing in this thread ;) 

Only two days to go until Comic Con, and hopefully some colour photos! Then maybe official coloured shots early next week, being hopeful :thumb 

• Like Like x 6
  12. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    You know, those ARE the two things that should be included with this figure, instead of a pair of Starscream cosplay parts.

I don’t know if they can sell three different version with minimal differences besides the head though. I think a completly movie version with extensive battle damaged and darker colors might be more likely, ontop of a straight up neutered release with optional S1 and Movie heads.

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    If the Starscream parts are real, it would be cool if they have dedicated storage spots in the trailer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    That would be a nice touch if we got better articulated human figures. As much as Im excited to see him, I think I'm equally excited to see his trailer.

If Megatron or Hot Rod are any indication, I see them going the Battle convoy route for the repaint. I do wonder if they have pared back production runs if they are going for a more premium line.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure the Starscream parts are happening, and completely reduce my qualms about the gaps in the top of his torso (now that they have a purpose :) )

[​IMG]

Megatron's Master Plan was one of the few episodes I had on video growing up, so I love this.

And guys let's get it right, it's not Starscream 'cosplay' parts, this entire figure is a 'cosplay' part for V3 Starscream :D 

• Like Like x 13
  16. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

How are you getting Roller out of small ball?

17. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look at the second image. It’s his Chinese name.

18. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

Gotcha! I was not aware of that

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ya know, I still think I'm getting this Prime.
    As with MP-36, MP-44 is shaping up to be the ultimate be all/end all Optimus, which I am cool with and excited for.
    MP-36 and Cordon absolutely floored me with articulation and overall presence. Optimus looks like it's shaping up to top them, if it were ever possible.

For the humans, I would absolutely love it if they used the Diaclone pattern to articulate them, possibly even putting magnets in the feet. Don't really see why they couldn't go that route, as it's been proven that Takara can do it with the Diaclone Reboot troopers/pilots. Each TINY figure has 9-points of articulation. Getting mini statues of Spike, Carly and Sparkplug would be somewhat disappointing.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don’t like the price..no sir...no I don’t..

========
    Collector voice in my head...

Ohh pre-orders up

You know you want to

He does look pretty cool

You know you want to

=======

Bad collector voice...bad collector voice
    :throw 

Lol...I am prolly gonna pre order...collector voice is strong :duel 

• Like Like x 1