MP-44 KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by octobotimus, Mar 2, 2020.

1. MysticFortune

MysticFortune Well-Known Member

The ShowZ listing mentions it's a direct copy of the MP49B, which has a slightly remolded backpack and is absent the electronics. MP49B also did not include the battle damage or the Starscream bits so maybe this version will be slightly cheaper than the other KO MP44s? Granted I wouldn't complain if this included the battle damage and other accessories just to keep the price the same.

I am so ready for this. I have been campaigning for this long before they started the polls for what alternate MP44s people were interested in. I've yet to get the MP44 mold since TE-01 is my Optimus, but I have remained curious to own the mold, and it will be cool to have Nemesis Prime that is unique to Optimus Prime instead of just being a repaint.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’d also be open to a cel shaded version to go with the MP Megatron … I don’t collect cel shaded generally, but I wouldn’t mind having the 2 leaders in their own individual display area!

3. MagnusAfterDark

MagnusAfterDark Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 9
  4. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    tempted by the sg deco :)  that eva deco don't look right on this mold at all!! mp10 wears that much better

• Like Like x 2
  5. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

So these repaints are direct copies of MP-44. I wonder if they'll have electronics.

6. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. svek

svek Well-Known Member

Totally getting that EVA deco, I'm glad it's still coming despite taking the 2nd place in the poll :p  My first use of MP44 mold yaaay very excited!

• Like Like x 3
  8. kooz

kooz MODUS OPERANDI.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Soo glad MP44EVA made the cut! I was soo tilted when the other colors up for voting (already done to death by other 3P’s) were winning the original poll… I have a feeling Zeta’s EVA Prime is never coming and an official (affordable) MP44 would never be made in the gaudy purple/lime/yellow color scheme I love so much.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Nonsensically Sensational! And Vice Versa!

News Credits:
    I hate how they always get me with repaints. All those Optimuses look so good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Isn’t that photoshopped Magnus from the MP44 thread here?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I don't like that they're using that pic since it's using a toy version head that Cheebs did for his digibash and that the actual release won't include (well I assume it won't - can't imagine why it would). The actual release probably won't have chrome pants either. They should just do their own mockup.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone say toy version head? 4EEBD297-ED97-46AC-BEDC-B1C3242D52F7.jpeg 333C9667-887F-4D99-8DF1-C190F09AFAA0.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  13. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Or have the stickers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the idea and you're off to a great start but...
    upload_2021-8-31_16-57-4.png upload_2021-8-31_16-58-56.png
    Pardon my clumsy redlines - I did them with a mouse which isn't great for drawing. The forehead crest should be larger. It doesn't necessarily need to reach his nose like the digi on the right (the actual G1 toy didn't), but it should definitely be larger and wider - bringingthe center of the forehead downward like it is on the toy would also help with that. The wide antenna is technically accurate but remember that G1 Optimus was also much smaller - it'd benefit from narrower antennae at this larger scale and they would complement those narrower inner antennae (or whatever we want to call those). The "ears" should be flat on the sides rather than domed. The side things around the mouthplate should angle inward a little as if they're wrapped over the mouthplate. The eyes should be wider - almost touching his nose in the middle - and it's difficult to tell with the light yellow filament surrounded by light grey but I'm not sure if you got the shape quite right. Which also brings up the color - the nose and eye area should be the same dark blue as the helmet, not the grey of the mouthplate (personally, I'd actually paint that area an even darker blue but that's just because I'm a sucker for how he looked in the Marvel comic and it wouldn't actually make him any more toy accurate). Also he needs those grooves in his mouthplate and, again, it's difficult to tell with the light grey resin, but the mouthplate should be narrower at the bottom (can't tell if you did that and I'm just seeing the "neck" behind the mouthplate, or if that's the actual mouthplate reaching the sides of his face).
    It looks great!

• Like Like x 6
  15. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't want to take over this thread with my custom but here's a few pics from the workspace.

Had to take some liberties with the rear since MP44 head switch rectangle piece is longer then the G1 toy depth. I also don't paint so I print in colour and leave it at that. Some sacrifices to accuracy had to give for structural purposes/tolerances. (ie why won't this stupid piece fit into this hole, #(#@! piece snapped it's so small!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw all these announcements from Show.z and my first thought is which (if any) will be fully painted? Still frickin’ annoyed that the KO is bare plastic. Thick glossy paint is one of the only thing Takara’s products have going for them. I mean the paint quality is usually really bad with chipping and wear and all sorts of overspray and dust and hair in the paint but at least they’re painted.
    Really wish at least one of the KO versions had been painted.

17. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Wondering what the pricing will be if a decent paintjob is added.
    I'd rather have some accents painted though, ko's and all the small moving parts will only scratch the figure the way i handle it.

I get where you are coming from though, but asking for premium in a ko.. Isnt it more, you get what you pay for?

• Like Like x 1
  18. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They have changed the metal parts for plastic ones. But the plastic is still way too fragile... Still turns into a friction joint with very little use...

• Like Like x 1
  19. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Votes MPG-07 = Mixmaster

• Like Like x 2
  20. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have no problem paying a bit more for paint. I'm not paying stupid Takara pricing of course, but a little more is fine for me.
    Looking at the KO's of MP Beastwars Megatron or Dinobot they did a pretty good job of the paint jobs on those, and it's a much more complex scheme than just a red and blue Optimus. Paint honestly isn't a huge extra cost for these figures, given how common it is in cheap and KO products.
    It just kind of annoyed me that they skipped the paint on the KO. It annoyed me with the MP Grapple KO as well (though that was even worse because some were painted and some weren't and you had no idea which you'd get!!)

It's not a huge deal for me because I already have so many Primes, but I do one day think I might add an MP-44 to my Prime collection (primarily for completionist's sake, not because I have any strong desire for what is a pretty ugly design)
    If I'm going to the effort to pick up such an ugly bot, I want to get as nice a version as I can.

As for these, I already have the EVA version of MP-10 and I think it fits the colour scheme better, and none of the other schemes hold much interest. It was more of an idle thought: If they made a fully painted white or purple version, would they have any interest in a painted red one?