MP-44 KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by octobotimus, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Blingotron

Blingotron Well-Known Member

Oh good, well at least you knew about it already lol. Ah well, it can't hurt to remind people. :oops: 

2. MV Steve

MV Steve Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's cool, always appreciated! If they dont limit me, I might by a few of each for some other primes, maybe magnus too

3. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Check the packaging. My symbol was packed outside of the box underneath the packaging paper.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    After reading that from numerous people, it was stuck in my head to check for that should I not see it and thoroughly went through both boxes to see if it was stuck somewhere. Unlike most sellers that wrap the whole box, TF Safari put the original box in a box that was just big enough to slide into and taped the seams so I checked under the inner box flaps as there were no other hiding spots. Before I even checked I said to myself "sticker sheet of symbols, guess I didn't get the plastic one" no biggie.

5. DinobotSludge

DinobotSludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So has there been any word on a KO MP-44 trailer in works yet?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Wallet prepare for devastation

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah the word was forgetaboutit.... No idea didn't think anyone was taking it on, only trailer I've seen anything about lately is that IDW one with the Megatron holding cell inside.

7. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So less than one evening and 3 rotations of the left leg and I feel it starting to strip in one direction, wow that was fast! I get that this thing has been getting criticized for being bad but I didn't think it would happen that fast!

I forgot who asked if this is a sudden or subtle thing you can feel coming on, definitely sudden if it's going to happen. I was even moving the leg nice and slow and assisting the hip skirt! What a bad design! @God Orion I fully understand how you feel now:banghead: 

So I ripped it apart, much sooner then I thought I would, and figured out that the surface area of the hip skirt is too thick which caused binding all around making the leg move by itself a little bit and loosened the screw holding the gear to the leg allowing for it to have room to strip. This extra thickness is also the reason for the automatic hip skirt return not working. I gave the hip skirt some room as a test and with it free, the automatic return feature is now working.

Some other things: the single sprung tooth that works the ratchet is way too pointed making it tougher than it needs to be for it to work so I used a nail file to round the edge and the ratchet is just as strong, but doesn't take as much force between clicks. The single tooth piece also has some room to wiggle in its place which is no good. I haven't determined yet if it will be worth it to create a shim or if the other fixes will be enough to compensate.

I have a plan to pin the gears to the legs and stop the stripping making them work reliably and I will be making a spacer to go between the two gears like in the PDF because I think there will be room for things to move after doing the complete hip skirt fix.

I will report back later with pictures hopefully.

• Like Like x 2
  8. KYRUMO

KYRUMO Member

Twitter:
    Got mine today

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamen Rider Decade

Kamen Rider Decade A Passing-Through Kamen Rider...

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ehhh. There are a few Gundams that actually do transform, though. Wing Gundam, Wing Gundam ZERO/ProtoZERO, Gundam Epyon, Zeta Gundam, Sentinel Gundam/Gundam Ex-S, Aegis Gundam, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Nope. You can't even get that for the legit MP44.

10. MoonchildVic

MoonchildVic Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    That was fast... ☹

IMO loosening the screw is a bad idea because the ratchet is no longer fixed where it's supposed. By doing this the piece now has some play and has the tendency to rub against the leg connection, probably increasing the risk of damaging it even more.

As for the hip skirt movement, yes this helps because the axell of the ratchet should be a bit longer to give some space for the piece move freely.
    The official has sligly wobbly legs because of this.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chirulazo

Chirulazo Well-Known Member

Mine came the same way, in a bag taped to the outside of the box.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've been slowly working on it today and the hip skirt automatically returning is fixed now and there is no play even without adding a spacer. I didn't mean that I loosened the screw, because of the binding pressure on everything, when I moved the leg and it started to strip only the leg moved at that point which caused the screw to back off. So it wasn't super loose but when i took everything apart and was examining it, I noticed when slightly moving the leg I could see that the screw was not moving with it because it backed off. I know that in this assembly backing the screw off to loosen things is a bad idea. Now that the hip skirts are fixed they freely move up when the leg is pushed that far and spring right back to place when the leg is lowered. They do not interfere with the tension of the gear to the leg at all anymore so once I get them pinned I'm confident I can play with this thing worry free.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    To get the hip skirts to work I took of the paint on both sides of the contact areas and had to keep sanding to take down some of the thickness of the plastic on the side that touches the leg. I used a fine stone dremel bit by hand continuously sanding around.
    20210519_235142.jpg
    20210519_234212.jpg
    20210519_234245.jpg

To lock the gears in place but still have them removable I drilled two holes opposite of each other to the side of the screw head and through the thickest parts so I could press and glue pins into the legs. This has made them completely solid and they can't move anymore, only the ratchet moves.

20210519_234036.jpg
    20210519_234127.jpg
    20210519_235217.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Where did you get nails or bolts that are that small? That is an awesome fix. Can't wait to try it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. God Orion

Ebay:
    Please post pics of that step too. I am not sure of which part you're talking of.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yes they are finishing nails for small wood trim, that's why they are so small. They are 1.23mm thick and I used a number 56 drill bit which is a hair smaller to give the right press fit. You can use 3/64 or 1mm as well and I put a drop of superglue to assist with locking the pins in place. To drill the holes perfect I used a tap handle and did it by hand and the gear has to be mounted to the leg and start to drill slowly next to the head of the screw. It is a snug fit there so at first you have to watch because the drill bit can catch the screw and loosen it.

What do you want pictures of @God Orion ? The sanding I did on the ratchet tooth? Okay. I didn't get very many pictures today but can go through and take more of the process tomorrow.

• Like Like x 5
  17. God Orion

Ebay:
    Thanks for that. I guess I will have to buy a small box full of modelling screws from Amazon then. I'd like better pictures of all the process you explained actually. With arrows to show what exactly has to be done. I can probably put them in the PDF if all this proves to be working.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MoonchildVic

MoonchildVic Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Thank you fornthe tip, I may actually try this!
    By your experience, do you think that I could use 2M screws for this, or are they too large?

I bought a whole box of screws just to get 1, in order to change one that had a stripped head, on the side of the waist.

20210520_162357.jpg

19. Chirulazo

Chirulazo Well-Known Member

Finally had some time to play with the metallic painted version and compare it with v1 and v2. I can say that of the 3 is the most solid quality speaking, in every way. I am liking it more than I ever expected. Here are a couple of pictures from home and at work.

5B6DB11D-2D68-4C52-BF59-C2C5486A497F.jpeg FF84769D-EC3C-4C0B-BA67-B37AAAA9E85E.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. MV Steve

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No, 2mm is too big! It will not fit between the head of the screw and the edge of the gear where the leg rotates. It has to be 1mm!

Was the stripped screw you replaced the long one that is in the top corner left side of the waist? That screw was the biggest pain to get out in this whole process and it still works but is pretty messed up now and I need to replace it.

• Like Like x 2