MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Knightsword, May 9, 2018.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Not that I've ever heard.

2. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A quick search from the SP thread found several (at least 5) break reports. I haven't scoured the thread, but there could be more:

3. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really wish Takara would sell the base that came with Dinobot outside of him. Hell I'd buy a KO of the base. I enjoy messing with all the MP figures and being able to have them in beast mode and be at the same height using the bases is nice, but only having one and having to share it makes it difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Im sure they will at some point, I think they would have to design more cradles to go with them though.

5. luigi7mew2

luigi7mew2 Well-Known Member

To be fair, mine wasn't the shoulder. It was the Panther legs. I was connecting them together in the back (for robot mode) and I didn't like how they looked so I was trying to carefully pull them apart because they were in so tight and it ripped apart. Piece got stuck inside and literally ripped a stream of plastic right off. I was able to get replacement legs through The Chosen Prime thankfully.

Never had any issues with the shoulders on either Cheetor or Shadow Panther, but now finding this out, I will be very careful if I decide to pose them in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

Completed a daily crotch inspection and it’s still fine, but I won’t pretend that it’s not a slightly bothersome “what if” to have sitting around.

Initially I felt more relaxed about it, but as time goes on I’m feeling a little resentment.

It’s pretty much the only piece in my collection that doesn’t have a ‘set and forget’ aspect to it, in terms of stability.

I’d like to think that any guaranteed breakages would happen within the first days/weeks, but maybe I’m being too optimistic. :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  7. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

Um, should I be worried?

20190415_212408.jpg

8. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does that line coming from the screw hole feel like a crack when you touch it?

I'm already wondering whether some sort of clear coat on that part would help extend its lifespan somehow. Perhaps some bonding UV light glue or something.

9. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

Nope, doesn't feel like a crack.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. That's just the plastic swirl, not a crack.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure you may have nailed the cause right here! My friend, who's copy was cracked right out of the box, brought his over, and I took a look.

At first, nothing seemed different, but then I took off the ratchet piece., and it was definitely miss assembled at the factory. The diecast hip bar has a square peg. The purple ratchet has a square hole. His, however, was put on wrong, somehow not lining up the square to square.

You can see the ratchet was put on rotated 45 degrees from where it should, and forced down enough that it smashed the plastic down. Those corners at the green arrow shouldn't be there, and were created by forcing the part down over diecast hip joint. You can see the smashed plastic at the red arrows.
    20190413_123551.jpg

Here's another angle without the arrows so you can see the smashed down plastic a little better.
    20190413_123556.jpg

And compared to how it should look
    20190413_123624.jpg

So what does this do? Well that damaged ratchet doesn't sit down as far as it should, since there's now smashed plastic in they way of it sitting properly. I'd also guess the internal circular section is pushed outward slightly too. All of which, in turn, will create extra tension and stress when two crotch have were screwed, too tightly, together, causing the crack. You can see below that the affected ratchet, on the right side in this picture, does sit slightly further out than the one of the left.
    20190413_124003.jpg

I still stand by the assumption that if your piece is showing no signs of cracking, it'll most likely be safe. But also still say loosening, just ever so slightly, the three outer crotch screws it a good preventative measure. Both figures I've disassembled had awfully tight screws, like way tighter than they needed to be or on any of the other multitude of figures I've taken apart. I'm seeing more and more evidence that the breakage is caused during assembly/at the factory.

I'm also not seeing any evidence that the mere act of disassembling will cause any potential cause for cracking, as long as you have even the most basic experience disassembling figures. If anything, you'll only be relieving undue stress on on the pieces in question. I've disassembled my own 3 times now, transformed it about 10 times, and purposefully swung the legs back and forth, with a decent amount of speed, and I'm seeing no negative effects whatsoever.

• Like Like x 24
  12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Nice detective work. Now if we could get more looks at other people's defective copies, we could establish a pattern and know for certain.

Probably should've asked your permission first, but I linked your post over at The Allspark as well to help the discussion.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  13. jackisking

News Credits:
    Guess I'll take my hip apart again and look at that ratchet, that hip ratchet was seriously tight, I had to break out a power screwdriver and a "real" one to get it to budge.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    With these figures becoming more and more complicated due to higher parts counts , these factory workers are in a mad rush to get these guys out ASAP , in turn destroying there own products . Somethings gotta change . There’s to much money involved to be getting broken figures right outta the box.

• Like Like x 3
  15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I'm also going to echo Jarrod here, that if this indeed the cause of the breaks, then anybody treating their currently intact Megatrons with kid gloves should be able to relax. This is a mechanical break, not a material fatigue issue. The break will happen immediately, and not as a matter of wear and tear.

• Like Like x 4
  16. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As usual TT hasn't learned anything from Dinobot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jackisking

News Credits:
    Make them in Japan again?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy misassembly, Batman!
    Excellent work on detailing this, indeed. Thank you. This information will be indispensable. Nice to be able to approach the 9000th post on here on a high note.

This will be extremely helpful, particularly to those who can't or have no desire to try to exchange a figure with a damaged crotch. Those able to properly realign the ratchet piece after disassembly should hopefully have no further worries. Gluing of the cracked/broken crotch pieces should allow them to remain together with undue pressure now alleviated from it. This makes the figure salvageable.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Fallout

Fallout content in the same old schtick again

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    well, i'm glad you're ok, but that feels little tmi...

20. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    I checked the two crotches, too. No cracks so far as well. Still good to be careful

• Like Like x 1