MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Knightsword, May 9, 2018.

1. fsfeedback

fsfeedback Well-Known Member

I have watched both, and I have to say Emgos is better. He actually transformed the back pack the full way, and showed a easier way to crack open the dino shell.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Basically he should be checking his fingernails as the hand goes in.

Depends on the function.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fsfeedback

fsfeedback Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried to repair the crotch out of curiosity.

4. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that would be so funny out of context. LOL!
    I hope it doesn't, but this is still irritating. Whether it's due to bad plastic pouring/mixing, over-tightened screws, powerful ratchets, lack of lubrication or a combination thereof, this is just unacceptable. This isn't a matter of the sky falling and obviously QC issues happen here and there, but this just shouldn't have to be a concern in a figure this expensive from any manufacturer. Even if there end up being modifications and steps we can take to fix it in the end (if lucky), nobody here buys something like this wanting to have to do that. Since eBay offered free listings, I put mine up for now. if it sells, great, I'll hope for a reissue and hope that the issue is addressed. If it doesn't (doubtful, as I already sold the accidental second one I had), I'll just not touch it until some sort of fix comes, if at all. I didn't spend money to buy a statue and I want to enjoy this beautiful item. But as OCD as I can get, the crotch falling apart would piss me off to no end. Someone on another forum which shall go unnamed was actually suggesting that these Masterpieces aren't meant to be transformed often and that if they break it's because we play with them too much. Naturally, that's complete bull. Short or mishandling, roughhousing, or defects, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to fully appreciate them. One of the things I've loved about Transformers since the getgo has been the engineering that goes into having one mode switch to another. It's even more amazing with a figure like this where we're getting accuracy in both modes to what we saw on TV originally. But other than swapping the occasionally misassembled limb or intentionally doing a mod or repaint, my idea of a good time is not trying to perform "major surgery" on something i just bought from overseas. It doesn't appear that getting an exchange will solve the problem, so if it breaks I would just have to hope it breaks once cleanly as opposed to in multiple spots or crumbling. I recently noticed all the people pissed at all the Hasbro and Takara Wolfwire figures pretty much all breaking at their cockpit hinges. But then, that figure is so cheap, one can buy junkers or extras to try to fix or find some makeshift workaround. But for this masterpiece? Yeah, in the end they're both just toys, no matter the price difference. Heck, for all I know my original MP-9 may explode in my face if I ever unbox him, but I've made my peace with that and am thrilled there have been so many issues with it listed in the community that I know what to expect. But here we are again years later and going through yet another debacle like this. Crotchgate.

Bottom line, i am thrilled for everyone who has been able to enjoy this figure without having suffered any major issues. I hope they stay undamaged as they should. But until there's a fix, if any, i am not dealing with this. I will continue to live vicariously through you guys with all the awesome pictures and poses. I feel even worse for all the BW fans who waited so long to get figures made then had to suffer through Dinobot issues, Cheetor issues, and this.

At this point, I just hope my MP-44 doesn't explode when I get it:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ratzo99

Ratzo99 Well-Known Member

I opened mine from Amazon Japan entirely on-camera (in case the crotch was broken in the package).
    • Crotch on mine has the same swirls and lines that everyone else sees.
    • I rotated and clicked the legs back and forth. Ratchets feel smooth and good. Not overly firm, not too soft.
    • No cracks appeared after playing w/the legs.
    • I have no reason to think any part of this guy will break. The hip joints don't seem to put any real pressure on that crotch piece. Transformed to robot, no problem.

In my opinion, cracked crotch pieces likely happen during the assembly process. A hairline fracture at the factory later turns into a crack during shipping and initial customer inspection/play.
    I'd have to unscrew the crotch to confirm, but I BELIEVE a crack would be a cosmetic flaw only.

Beautiful figure. Robot is more impressive than I expected. Still too expensive, though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for advise. I took a second look and it really looks like lines in plastic.

Gonna transform him soon or later.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RavenousPrime

RavenousPrime Fantasy Author

• Like Like x 5
  8. MarikZero

MarikZero Well-Known Member

I love these size comparisons (and yes, I'm still waiting for mine because as usual, I'm the last one on this forum to receive his BWMPs figures):

mega.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  9. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not really.

Mine has the crack on the right piece of the crotch... so only the right thigh is effected and only effected in certain motions.
    Moving the right thigh outwards (to do the splits) does not effect that crotch piece.

Rotating the right leg FORWARD and BACKWARDS (like in the motion of kicking a ball) EFFECTS that crotch piece. What happens is that when I rotate it forward and backwards, it starts to pull on the crotch piece and the crack widens. And since the crack is in the front, it's pulling on the piece in the back... therefore stressing the back of that piece (which may or may not create a crack in the back... who knows?). Something inside the ratchet or something dictates that torsion force in that area whenever the thigh ratchet is rotated in that direction.

[​IMG]

If I hold the piece in place were it is cracked, I can still rotate the right thigh FORWARD and BACKWARDS (to minimize the creating more damage to the crack) but I would prefer not, just to eliminate the chances of further damage (sucks!). I haven't tried transforming it back to dinosaur mode, so I don't know what would happen. Technically, the thigh doesn't really move around during transformation, so I can guess that no further damage will happen, but who knows?

Other that that, I can still pose the figure as I please.

I actually even used super glue (CA) to put the piece back together. And that's how I found out that rotating the legs outwards to do the splits didn't effect it. But the moment I rotated the legs forward, it cracked open again. I used CA accelerator to immediately cure it.

I think, but I could be wrong, if that piece ever fell off, I don't think it still effects the figure because I think it's only a cover piece for cosmetic reasons only, not functionality. But again, I could be wrong.

11. mataleben

mataleben Member

I haven’t gotten mine in yet, but in the case that the crotch section does crack, and some third party makes a replacement, how hard would it be to swap that section out? Is it just screws, or are there any pins involved? That will really influence how worried I’ll be if it does break.

12. Architects

Architects Active Member

Hu
    Huh. If that's true then maybe it's not the vibrations of the joint that make it do that, but rather something is wider in some areas pushing on the plastic. Or maybe it's literally just a bad combination of all these things. I can tell my crotch plate has like a "swirl crack" in it, but I've been using the legs a lot the past day or so and it hasn't cracked.

13. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

Mine arrived from Amazon JP yesterday. I didn't have time to actually open it or take a look at all, hopefully tonight.

That said, what a bizarre ride from AJ on that one. Cancelled my long standing pre-order, had stock that same day, ordered a new one for the PO price (as far as I could tell) and then had the price drop another 45 dollars or something the every next day. Ultimately netted him for 230 or something like that shipped. Just weird how convoluted getting this wound up being, even if I got a great price.

14. Primus1998

Primus1998 "Say hi to Joker for me." - Red Hood.

hmm, I think that the leg pieces are too thick on the inside, that friction is causing the cracking

15. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Material fatigue could also be affecting the crotch area.

16. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Well, he's here! Thanks to everyone's tips I've transformed him successfully with no stress marks. His crotch is swirly but so far crack-free, which is always nice. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

• Like Like x 2
  17. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Exactly! It's one or the other or like you mentioned, combination and maybe material fatigue as well (although that may appear later on in the lifetime of the toy rather than this early... unless the material is just that bad). Something is pushing or pulling on the plastic.

upload_2019-4-9_14-2-44.png

The torsion is pulling the plastic down (opening up the crack), when the leg is rotated on the X-axis (green).

Z-axis, no effect because the rotational movement is is happening inside the thigh itself (not in the crotch) where it does not effect the crotch plastic. Does it effect that thigh plastic?? That remains to be seen!

There's no rotation on Y-axis of course (the leg does not butterfly :p )

• Like Like x 3
  18. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would laugh my ass off if Takara shipped out a part replacement that looked like or was referred to as an athletic supporter. "Protect your crotch from damage with this!"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

If it's the X-axis that's the problem would opening up the thighs and putting shock oil on those ratchets help?

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Does it kind of bother anyone else that someone ran off to TFWiki half-cocked just to throw up a warning out the breakages but not take two seconds to edit the inaccurate accessory loadout?

• Like Like x 2