MP-41 Masterpiece Dinobot (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by SPLIT LIP, Jul 31, 2018.

1. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    That's a bummer. I'll have to check mine. Is this from handling or transforming it?

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Mine are kind of loose too and have been. It's not so much that they're too loose, just not tight enough to counter the body weight depending on how the body is tilted.

3. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it happened during transformation - or rather a mistransformation of the legs. Totally my fault. I think I forgot to rotate the waist. Plus it was dark in the room and I was watching TV lol. Worst case scenario I guess.

Going to get a gold paint pen to try and touch up some of the areas. I am not going to let a little wear ruin this figure for me. It's still a great figure.

yea I agree. It seems like if you have the body weight centered its fine, but as soon as you try and stretch out a dynamic pose they can't hold it. Or if he's just the tiniest bit off centered when you set him down then he's likely to fall back.

4. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    so a quick gold paint update (kinda a double post carried over from the BWA)..

I highly recommend this gold paint pen that I found at Hobby Lobby for painting up any chipped gold from your Dinobots.

A touch glossier if I'm honest.. but really hard to notice under normal circumstances.

I'm going to keep looking for a close match for the blue and orange and I'll get back with you guys.
    IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1945.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

That looks to be a really good match. Fortunately all the paint on my copy still looks great, one area I'd watch out for is the robot modes gold collar, a few have posted pics of chips in that area. In beast mode the points of his robot mode boots can rub on the collar if you push it up against it. This won't happen if you just focus on pushing the heels into the grooves on the underside of the tail allowing the combined feet to float slightly over the gold collar.

6. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Prelude: For all that he was one of Beast Wars’ most beloved characters, saved all of humanity, and was the first fans’ choice for entering the Transformers Hall of Fame, Dinobot had to wait a very, very long time to get a good toy. Because let’s face it, his original Beast Wars figure never did figure out where to put the robot legs in beast mode, no matter how often it was repainted. Now we got a Masterpiece figure of him, though. Is he worth the hefty price tag he came with?

Robot Mode: One of the first things I noticed about this Dinobot figure is that it’s big. I’d say he’s about Leader-class size, meaning he towers over other Beast Wars figures, even Masterpiece Optimus Primal. At first I thought that he was out of scale, but checking screenshots from the Beast Wars TV series actually reveals that the size is quite accurate. Dinobot was easily the tallest of the Maximals. He is actually in near-perfect scale with Thrilling 30 Rattrap.

In terms of resemblance to the TV character, one can only say that he’s perfect. Just about the only thing that is not identical to his TV appearance is the back of his torso, which bulges out a bit due to the sheer number of stuff he has in there for his transformation (see below). Otherwise, though: perfect. This is Dinobot from the Beast Wars TV series, having stepped right out of the screen.

Dinobot is a highly articulated figure with lots of gorgeous detailing. He comes with his two trademark weapons, the spine-like sword and the tail that opens up into a slashing rotor. Both weapons can also be combined and stored on his back, too. The weapons are actually a pretty straight-forward adaption of those carried by the original BW Dinobot toy. He also comes with exchangeable faces, featuring a grin, an angry yell, a neutral expression and one with transparent eyes. All four faces have an opening mouth with sharp teeth, so you can give Dinobot a wide range of expressions if you wish.

The transparent eyes come into play when Dinobot uses his laser-vision, his only long-range weapon in the TV series. Entering two little battery cells into his head makes his eyes light up. Now it works with all four faces, but the one with the transparent eyes works best, especially if you add the light-tubing piece to his eyes that simulates his laser vision (see 10th picture). Press the button, his eyes glow red. Hold it down, they glow green. A very nicely done special effect for this figure.

Overall there is really nothing about this robot mode I can complain about. He’s big, he’s heavy, he’s got every single feature Dinobot showed in the TV series. He’s simply gorgeous. So two thumbs up and on we go.

Alternate Mode: Dinobot transforms into a Velociraptor. Now the original BW figure was also a Velociraptor, but one with a very visible pair of robot legs just hanging off its chest. Not so this time. MP Dinobot manages the near-impossible and faithfully reproduces Dinobot’s TV transformation. He does this by basically turning inside out. The only parts of the robot that become parts of the raptor are the robot arms, which become the raptor legs. Everything else folds together into the raptor’s torso, while the raptor’s head and arms emerge from what used to be the robot’s torso. A few cheats are included, such as the flattened raptor head on Dinobot’s robot chest not actually becoming the raptor’s head, but overall the transformation is very unique and very original. And, most importantly, it gives us a raptor without visible robot legs.

The resulting raptor looks very show accurate and is very nicely articulated as well. Both the legs and the tiny arms are fully articulated and the raptor’s tail as two joints as well. The head can turn, the mouth can open, and the tongue can move. Dinobot has facial expressions in this mode, too, as you can open up his head and rotate out the normal eyes for narrowed ones. Dinobot’s raptor claws can easily hold the golden disk if you want and the display stand allows for numerous poses, too. So overall, a very good raptor mode, the result of a truly outrageous transformation.

Add-Ons: Dinobot comes with the golden disc that played such a crucial role during the first two seasons of Beast Wars and in his own personal fate especially. He also comes with a pretty big display stand that allows you to mount the figure in multiple poses. There are two clear-plastic pieces for the stand, one to mount him in robot mode, one in raptor mode. The stand is also compatible with most other Transformers figures.

Remarks: Dinobot was originally a Predacon, but quickly defected to the Maximals at the beginning of the Beast Wars series. He had his problems fitting in, though, and his near-constant arguments and fights with Rattrap remain one of the many highlights of the series. Eventually Dinobot sacrificed himself in what is arguably the best Transformers episode ever to air, Code of Hero. He stopped Megatron from changing the future and wiping out humanity, thereby forever cementing his legacy as a hero.

When Dinobot was announced as the next Beast Wars Masterpiece figure, there was much rejoicing. Said rejoicing was somewhat reduced, though, when the price tag of the figure became apparent. At well over 200 bucks, many fans originally figured there’d been a mistake, that maybe the price was for a shipping box with two Dinobots in it or something. Of course by now a 200+ MP figure seems almost a bargain, but in early 2018 it was excessive. Which, of course, didn’t stop people from buying him in droves and making him almost impossible to find if you hadn’t preordered early.

Personally I waited a long while before finally succumbing and ordering Dinobot for myself. Overall I have to say that he is worth it to me, despite the hefty price tag. That depends entirely, of course, on whether or not you are a fan of Beast Wars in general and Dinobot in particular. If you are not, then this is not a figure for you, because without the character value attached, it really isn’t worth the price. For fans of Dinobot, though, this is the very first figure that fully and completely captures the essence of Beast Wars’ most complex character. So if you haven’t already, go and buy him, even if you have to forego food for a month or two.

Rating: A-

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 3
  7. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I finally got him and I am so happy. The original Dinobot toy was my first Transformer and having a show accurate toy of him at last is amazing. I was worried about the transformation, but it's actually pretty easy.
    20200507_133907.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. ACDecepticon

ACDecepticon Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Near the end of last year I got through the Beast Wars series again,,,hadn't seen it since it originally aired so it was really nice to go through it.
    Man, did they ever do a nice job with this MP Dinobot fiure...he was always my fav in the series. I haven't bought any of the MP figures yet but this i one that I'm going to seriously consider.
    Thanks for sharing this!

9. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    i personally wanting to see if the upcoming reissue will fix anything.
    I still have my Dinobot here , but the execution starting to become very poor for me.
    I have no issue with the shoulder ratchet. They are perfectly fine on my copy.
    BUT
    The weapon peg is too shallow and will wiggle of the fist peg holes when accidentally shaking. It's even worse with the tail weapon.
    The whole thigh is just bizarre because I believe they know them metallic orange will scratch right away when contacting with his crotch piece. It better off be separated piece with metallic orange plastic instead of gunmetal plastic. The scratches keep happening beyond my tolrance. Add that with limited space to maneuver and hard ratchet , the whole hip articulation is too much.
    I just hope they do something with the paintjob. My MP-43 Megatron hardly have any scratch , same with Black widow.

10. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely agreed. They should have indeed made the base plastic color the metallic orange.

11. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    ikr ?? the whole lower torso has giant portion of bare metallic orange injected plastic and it still looks good. why resort to barely decent paint?

12. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

News Credits:
    I got my first crotch scratch a few weeks ago- the first bit of damage to any of my MPs (that wasn’t present out of the box)- and it pissed me off big time.
    Completely unnoticeable in the current pose but I’ll always know it’s there and that’ll limit any future poses because I hate having any imperfections on show.

13. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    after disassembling the whole lower torso to fix the scratched metallic orange paint
    I noticed that loosen all the ratchet joint , especially the crotch ratchet, will help less scratching because the click will be lighter and give us more control , more room to manipulate the upper thigh articulation.
    Now to see options of top coating to protect the paint.

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wait, is there a confirmed upcoming reissue? If so, can it still be preordered?

15. Architects

Architects Well-Known Member

What did you use to fix the paint? I can't find a match ANYWHERE! Careful if you use the visor accessory on your Blackarachnia btw. I saw you talking how you had no paint issues, but that visor scratched the crap out of the side of her head.

But yeah if you could help me with a match on the paint to his leg scratches, I'd be eternally grateful

16. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Finally bought back this beast from RobotToyBase. Went with their option to ship without the original packaging (maybe that'll stave me off from selling it again!) to save money. Pretty sure it's the Hasbro Asia reissue so hopefully I don't have to worry about the shoulders or battery drainage problems.

So excited to get him back again! Top 5 MP, was such a silly thing to sell him in the first place.

Might try and clear coat some of the trouble areas this time, see if that can prevent paint rubbing, though I'm not too fussed by a little wear and tear anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    the thigh will chip whether you want it or not haha
    but then mine was chipped as hell yet i decide to never sell him anymore. even with the chip i am fine with him as is now.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Would definitely be cool if the plastic underneath was better matched to the paint that's chipping away (like is the case with the red parts of MP-44) but ah well, MP-41 is just such an immense toy. Hell, this toy is the reason I watched Beast Wars in the first place, was so impressed with it when we got the full colour reveal that I had to know more about this character! The opening mouth gimmick is still one of my favourite features in an action figure ever.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Sam
    How much did you pay for shipping?

20. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    $62 for EMS. Would've been $10 more in the original box.

Like Robot Kingdom, RoboToyBase also has crazy high shipping, but at least they mark down the value of packages.

• Like Like x 2