MP-39: Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    More like:

"I just dropped $120 plus shipping for an MP carbot, after spending $99.99 plus shipping on a 3P product...I feel like a fool."
    "Well, are you gonna quit collecting then?"
    "No, but I feel like a fool."

:p  (FYI: I bought SunSurge when he first came out, so I'm speaking from experience.)

• Like Like x 2
  2. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Overreaction theatre much? This price is definitely bound to be lower at Japanese e-tailers which should be popping up very soon.

I just got thinking...aren't some of the people here complaining about this preliminary price some of the same people who bought Sideswipe when he was going for $160??????

:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  3. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

So did I, worst 3P purchase I've ever made by far. I admit, the reason was solely because it was the ONLY thing that existed.

Always looked so out of place in my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  4. franpincho

AND Sunsurge when he was out of stock. I know, because some poor bastard paid that for mine when I sold the thing.

5. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Recently, when shipping is taken into account, Japanese preorder prices haven't offered the same level of savings as they once did. It's still cheaper than u.s. prices, but not by nearly as large a margin as before.

6. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Higher parts count raising the price is understandable but the real question is by how much? Megatron isn't really that much more expensive than Optimus in the grand scheme of things. There's certainly a roughly $30 difference give or take (at the current US prices for them it's only $10) which between two large sized figures is a bit more within expectation. The most expensive carbot we've had is Hot Rodimus who IIRC was like $85. I don't think parts count would spike it by a dramatic $35.
    The Japanese retailers have been almost universally cheaper. With that said though the price goes up everywhere when it goes up. The MP10 reissues increased in price both on the Japanese retailers AND on the US ones regardless of the actual price of either. So while Sunstreaker will be cheaper off places like HLJ and Amiami if the BBTS price is correct (we don't know that it is) then the price will still spike compared to earlier carbots on those retailers as well.
    Also a fair point. Although I guess how much you lump together with shipping also has an effect. As far as I can tell the US prices for Megatron and the recent reissues haven't changed since release. Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, and the two sets of tapes together add up to $620 by US prices while at amiami I preordered all of those and ended up paying about $500 (less really). I guess it also depends on how much you throw into one shipment. I know with UW Bruticus I ended up paying more which was the one and only time that happened.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    well this thread was pretty much as I expected when I saw the preorder price on BBTS.

8. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    If it does end up being $120 usd or close to it after shipping from Japan, etc then I'm out. Maybe find a cheap used Sunsurge instead.

9. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ha. quite the opposite.

• Like Like x 3
  10. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone is going crazy about the price but what you don't realise is that MP Sunstreaker is actually 12" in height.

THEY'VE CHANGED THE SCALE AGAIN!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    I might actually buy it if that were the case.

I like big bots, I cannot lie :wink: 

• Like Like x 1
  12. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Well lookie here, see how TT marketed the interview of the MP designer, knowing it'd be worshiped by the masses, thus roping in buyers to the idea that a price hike is "engineering-ically" mandated?? Simply brilliant, simply brilliant TT ... :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Some little info bit always has to be dug to justify its reasoning. $85 is what is ideal. Anything beyond that is asanine

• Like Like x 2
  14. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

I was initially in shock seeing the price.  However, I am willing to pay more if the transformation is more elaborate, he can pose more, and he has more layers of paint.  The backpack still sucks though.

• Like Like x 3
  15. 7thParallel

7thParallel Well-Known Member

What?! It's only a piddling 50% increase! Oil prices are down as well which is contributing to the increased cost. they added a couple of hinges, too. Hinges are like $10 each. Everyone knows that.

If you pay this price, you're a fool. Bottom line. More parts does not necessarily mean more mass.

And...

MPM are cheaper than this. Prime is cheaper. Do the thinking and the math. The price is not final and will drop. There is no way we go to higher than inferno prices with no warning. There is nothing in the figure or how it is built that justifies that price. Bbts is guessing and others are following suit.

If the price holds, then seriously, f*** them all. There is no way to justify this. It's as indefensible as supporting a politician no matter how obviously messed up they are just so you don't have to admit you voted for the wrong person.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

More parts may not mean more mass but it does mean more production cost. There's a reason Real Grade Gundam kits cost more than High Grade even though both are 1/144 scale. Not saying that equates to $120 but it does mean higher costs to at least some extent.

• Like Like x 1
  17. franpincho

Make Masterpiece great again.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say $70 to $80 was the standard US retailer price for a carbot. Obviously this excludes exclusives and limited run figs as well as those old Amazon exclusive bits.

19. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

Have to say I am a little disapointed...I have enough MP lamborghinis...I was really hoping for a Hound or maybe a change of pace like a triple changer. I would love to see their take on engineering that.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, but more parts does mean more expensive. That's how it's always been. That's why you sometimes see mainline figures with hints of dropped functionality like ROTF Starscream's hands not folding, even though it wouldn't increase the toy's weight or mass.

That said, no way this thing has so many parts to justify $120.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.