MP-39: Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valkfan

valkfan Nova Storm Lives!

True. It seems that this type of nitpicking is a veiled (and weak) attack on 3P for not being an official product.

Sunstreaker's Sunbow design was ALWAYS going to require a faux chest to avoid having his chest taking up 40-50% of his bot mode. If we don't get an accurate rear-end mode, I'm okay with the official Sunstreaker, but I wouldn't have been able to stomach a massive Spinout styled chest in bot mode.

• Like Like x 1
  2. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

WOW.

TT IS Sunstreaker. When I see BC's effort, all I see is some sort of duck.

But everyone sees things differently I guess. Some people find Amy Schumer hot, will never understand dat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. giafunk

giafunk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha not a fanboy here but at least select a photo that is at least similar. That is obviously cut and chopped to hell. The original pic on the fist page has an A stance...why try to modify it so it looks like it's standing more straight than it really is?

Anyways for ppl on both sides of the spectrum, you really think what you say and try to prove is really changing anybody's minds? Obviously not so why rehash things? Just let it be and move on. If it's not constructive, keep it to yourself unless continuously typing it out helps you cope with your decision better.

4. Fenz

Fenz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    after all fans will go for official even they didnt always a winner .. thats what ill think ..

5. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Honestly I think this may be a personal issue with you, Danny Boy, that you're projecting onto others. Like you I never ever buy stand ins. It's a waste of money. I only pick up figures I like. But when I make a purchase, third party or official, I am pretty solidly keeping that figure as my go to version of that character. I don't look over my shoulder hoping and praying that no other version of that character comes out. If another version comes out but I'm happy with what I have, I'm not going to rush out to replace it.

I have actually replaced a couple figures over the years, but not many. I got Apollyon for Christmas and honestly it was a fine Megatron. Not the best quality, but I knew that going in. The official is better, but it has definite flaws and its own quality issues and I much prefer the silver color of the third party figure. Still, I upgraded because I did, in fact, think the Takara Megatron was a better figure.

That said I replaced MP-8 with FTs Grinder for the same reason. MP-8 was actually my first MP figure and got me into collecting, and I never thought I would replace it. Grinder is simply a better figure in almost every way. Scale, build, engineering...even toon accuracy once you get the G1 dino head. It's arguably the best figure I own (tied with FTs Stomp) and I love it more than any Takara figure I have (MP-10, MP-18, and MP-11 are my favorite Takara figures, even if the MP-11 mold is a bit old...I just love those seekers and I am emotionally invested in MP-11).

(I also got MP-29 Shockwave thinking I might replace Quakewave, but I hated MP-29 so much once I got it in hand that not only did I think it was a bad version of Shockwave but I actually felt its presence made my whole collection look worse. I'd also replace MP-22 in a heartbeat if something better came along).

But those are exceptions. In general I've kept what I've bought and haven't had regrets. (And selling the old figure wasn't that big a deal.) The problem with what you're saying is that, if Takara ever replaces MP-10 or MP-11 or MP-12 with another version, you're going to be the first one to jump in. Did you replace MP-14 with MP-14+? If so, why did you buy the first one? Guess what? I didn't. I only ever got the + version (not that I think it's necessarily better). Or will you stand your ground and keep your original purchase, knowing that they are the ultimate version and will never be replaced?

If someone is happy with Sunsurge and thinks it's better, that isn't them justifying their purchase. It's them having a preference. It may be different than yours, but it's no less legitimate. I don't have Sunsurge as I wasn't happy with the proportions. I held out assuming something better would come along. And it did. But if I had bought Sunsurge and really liked it I wouldn't be all scared of an official version. I don't have to have the newest car or computer or whatever...I'm not injured because a different version of a character I own exists somewhere out there on the internets.

But it seems you do feel injured if there is a different version. So again, I wonder if this is a personal matter that you're projecting on to others, that maybe they don't have.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 16
  6. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pic comparison! To me, Takara's MP is very screen accurate especially they got the body proportions right. the 3P looks like a Weijiang (well made) KO toy with those huge shoes and the upper body frame is too wide. Plus the head sculpt has that "i'm so innocent" look that a lot of 3P heads suffer from, which gives the toy a lot less character.

Good thing we all got choices, if not all our collections will look the same. For my MP collection, every time I hold an official Takara in hand, it becomes very obvious very quickly the 3P was nothing but an expensive stand-in.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Optimist Maximus

Optimist Maximus Well-Known Member

I don't get what do you mean in your first statement, I just took a picture to make a fair comparison, I didn't edit my picture just paste it with paint, lol. You don't like a fair comparison? Did I hurt your feelings by stating Sunsurge is better? Don't get tha hate dude.

This is a FORUM, and ppl DO CHANGE their opinions, sometimes at least.

8. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Hold on now, buying and replacing later on down the line is just a waste of money.

But on a more serious note, talking to you as one fan who doesn't collect either 3P or MP, to you, another fan, do you realize that's pretty much what 3P collectors do?

If you're going to be buying any future "replacements" for MP-10, MP-12, etc. it's really the same thing and there's no real reason to be rude about it, yeah?

We talk about this each time a new release comes out. People don't really appreciate the way you treat them over a difference of opinion, especially when you go around stating your own opinion as if it were fact, ya know?

We're all Transformer fans man. No one is better than anyone else in this franchise except Maz, because, well. it's Maz.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Been a while since I've really been around these parts outside the Galaxy Meteor thread.
    Anyway yay! Sunstreaker! Never cared for the character but I'll gladly take more Lambos. That car mode is also stunning and I love that they went above and beyond with the doors and lights.
    Now since it's inevitable that it'll get talked about:fake chest. Yes, I'll admit that's one of the things I didn't like about Sunsurge and ultimately I still begrudge it a tad here. With that said one key difference between the two is that Takara's Sunstreaker at the very least has the correct shape. It's clearly a cheat but in terms of proportion it still looks like it has the whole roof and not a weird cutoff and that alone for me makes a world of difference. Add the aforementioned alt mode which also looks good from every angle (the same cannot be said of Sunsurge) and ultimately I have a winner.
    Honestly for my personal collecting the official is my definitive version of any given character. With that said I'll appreciate a good design if I see it and Sunsurge never really struck me as such.
    Of course most of this doesn't give credit to TT Sunstreaker's own merit outside of the aforementioned alt mode. I'm sure people will be picketing on both sides of the fence but I personally like the blue windows. I already have Tigertrack for a smokey grey windowed yellow Lambro and I feel the blue looks really nice here. Similar to Sunsurge I'm not entirely fond of that all legs look Sunstreaker has and I'm not as fond of the show accurate presence of excess yellow. That said the thing looks damn well sculpted, poseable, and quite clean from every angle including the back. As a lot of us predicted they also have the removable supercharger which is nice as well. Chip chase is a nice little touch too. Hopefully I have enough to get him. I've been jobless the last few months so I've not been able to order any more MPs (and I really REALLY want Artfire before all's said and done) but this one really looks well done with that spot on show accuracy in bot mode and that dead on realism in alt mode. Truly a masterpiece and between this, Megatron, and the movie figures I'm absolutely loving how this line is going.

10. franpincho

I personally sort of agree with him. 3P are nothing but stand-ins to me, as I don't care how hefty or full of rubber the other options are, to me Official is king.

Some call me a Takara shill, fanboy, and I sincerely don't care. I prefer an original Transformer over a 3P version any day.

Having said that, I do collect 3P. Certain events have made me realize that life is just WAY too damn short. We don't know if we will make it back from work tomorrow, so why not live a little? I know that I'll be taking a lo$$ once the Official version comes out, but it is a gamble I'm more than OK with. It's all about supporting the line that made my childhood amazing. 3P companies are fans, like us. And in some respects, they are very talented individuals. Hell, I wish I could make a transforming robot! But even THEY know the TT version of "X" character is a nightmare to their production plans. They know they need to put "X" character out before TT does it. It may not be the case for you, but it is normally the case.

IF TT's release schedule was more frequent, I'd be an Official only collector. But for now, I enjoy gambling with bootlegs. some are actually quite fun to own, and I'm particularly excited about FT's Phoenix. But make no mistake, if Tt announces theirs today at midnight, I'd refuse TCP's delivery on Thursday!

Anyway, back to MP-39 eh?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

The legs on this Sunstreaker looks amazing !!
    Can't believe we're finally getting an official version !!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Its car mode is really screaming: "HEY I WAS MADE BY SHOGO HASUI PEOPLE", it's beautiful, i wasn't expecting some real car detailing from an official MP these days.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Initial_G

Initial_G Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very cool, so there's an alt rear available - nice! so many surprises on this one

14. giafunk

giafunk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you're right, they don't look different at all. my feelings are all sorts of hurt. o_O 

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      100 KB
      Views:
  15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    My first thought was "Holy crap! finally Sunstreaker!"

My second thought was "Crap, my wallet's gonna be crying after buying the Diaclone redecoes they'll put out after this."

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

And that's fine, but what you are basing your decisions on isn't the figure. It's a name on a box. And that's ok. Lots of people collect Coke products or Hot Wheels cars or whatever. They aren't interested in Pepsi or Matchbox cars, even though those things are cool, too.

If you are a collector it totally makes sense to collect official figures if that's what you want. Third party figures aren't really Transformers (TM) in the official sense. But others aren't collecting Transformers (TM), but are instead collecting figures that resemble their favorite Transformers...no matter what the name on the box says.

Confusing, I know.

• Like Like x 4
  17. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not suggesting everybody feels this way Yeled. I don't care that there are other versions it's just that no bootleg product has ever come close to an offical product. It's like @malware5 said, TT is at 10-0 (I think we're up to 10) when it comes to the same character being produced. That's fine if you think that's just my opinion but it's the main reason I stick to official. It's the reason I won't buy Pheonix and Sovereign. They may look good but TT's version will ultimately look much better. How do I know? I don't.....but when you've absolutely destroyed the competition with every other character I'm not going to bet against TT with my hard earned cash. Also, It just doesn't make sense t me to have a bootleg on the shelf. I think that's where my problem lies. It's a figure designed and made by some unknown person/company out of China somewhere. It's whatever you want to call it, it's just not a Transformer. I can never get past that fact.

18. franpincho

LOL.

If you ever wondered what some of us mean when we say "The lengths some would go in order to justify their purchases".. well, there you have it.

19. Optimist Maximus

Optimist Maximus Well-Known Member

Oh I used another pic from 18 or 19 page in this thread, that compares sunstreaker with Spinout, didnt see the first post :p 

20. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Highly unlikely as TT clearly copied a lot from BC's Sunsurge design. Which makes them both PERFECT!

BadCube Sunsurge = Perfection!
    MP-39 Sunstreaker = Perfection!
    Omnigonix Spinout = Perfection! ... as long as you don't even look at it the wrong way. ;) 

I see a lot of posts in the SunSurge thread of members who are keeping their Sunsurge. I have yet to find a post from a member who is ditching theirs just yet. Even if there is, the vast majority will be keeping their Sunsurges because it is quite good. I'm one of them. But heck, that doesn't mean I won't be getting MP-39, because , I AM! :)  Both have a lot to offer, and TT's does not disappoint. When can I give TT my money for this one? WHEN?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.