MP-39: Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, May 22, 2017.

1. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

The differences are only the shape of the wheel cutouts in this sideview image. The incorrect side window of front overhang length still apply.

2. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm... was sideswipe so inaccurate to the real life alt mode?

3. Aldetron

Aldetron Seeker

News Credits:
    After some photo manipulation I believe I have a decent argument that the alt modes of sunstreaker and sideswipe will be the same size.

Product shot of them together in robot mode:
    42F1B354-0EB7-495E-BDC9-71AC8E632E2E.jpeg

Picture if the headlights in alt mode from two different pics to see variability in shape:
    740B70FA-4A67-4A94-89AD-1F43EB2A0BD5.jpeg

Picture of the headlights zoom in the same amount from the first picture:
    F7F5871F-0156-428D-BF8C-B75068B348A9.jpeg

They appear to be the same width at the same scale. So alt modes should be the same size.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JSix

JSix Well-Known Member

Well here it is with the Walter Wolf Countach.
    Sadly all the same problems are present.

[​IMG]

Will still be a great figure probably, so no need to freak out.
    But the alt mode is not spot-on accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BWfan86

News Credits:
    The wheel wells at least appear to look a bit better. It’s a shame they couldn’t do better

6. wrx20l

wrx20l Well-Known Member

Conspicuous butt flap, serious backpack, dull grayish/blackish coloring...best design ever! Sign me up for a 20% price hike. Thanks Takara! :rock 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Are people seriously bugging that it is like 4mm too short in the nose?
    The thing does have to actually you know.... Transform.

The things you guys nitpick about is insane. It's 95% there.. that was good enough for Lamborghini SpA and that's good enough for me.
    Does anyone actually expect the alt mode to look better than a diecast model or the actual real car? That doesn't even make sense.

The 3rd party versions may be closer in some aspects but their robots look like crap and take artistic liberties, looking very little like the actual media they are imposters of & cannot pose anything like this guy can.

There's just no pleasing some of you guys, this thing is an engineering marvel. Can't wait to display him

• Like Like x 19
  8. BWfan86

News Credits:
    This is the MP line, not generations or the original G1 line. We can have inaccurate alt modes in these other lines, but I expect to have at least accurately shaped/molded licensed alt molds in the MP line. They did it with the original lambos, datsuns, stratos, VW bug, corvette, and to a lesser extent the vanettes. So there is precedence for a real life accurate alt mode

• Like Like x 4
  9. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That also shows the front overhangs are about the same on Sunny and Sideswipe. It’ll be fine and as accurate as any other ‘real car’ MP in hand. People getting all bent out of shape based on a ‘comparison’ made from a not particularly straight photo of a book page with a picture of a painted prototype on it! Lol!

• Like Like x 7
  10. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I’d love to see someone put GIF comparisons together for all of those so we can have an equal critique before nitpicking Sunstreaker to death.

Yes, the previous carbots have been very accurate representations of their real-world counterparts. I’m pretty certain there are small inconsistencies on them all that are no different than what’s being called out on Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 5
  11. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    No it's not spot-on accurate. But really I don't think any of the MP cars actually have been 100% accurate, so it's ok.

• Like Like x 3
  12. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    :lol 

13. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Engineering, crushing it. Design, flailing. But that’s because I hate that they switched to cartoon accuracy halfway (approximately) through the line.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

Wei Jiang and Robot Heroes will beg to differ. Their MPP-10s and Seekers are miles ahead of the official products in every way.

• Like Like x 5
  15. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    It doesn't bother me that it's not 100% accurate. As some have said none of the previous carbots aren't 100% accurate. I'm not that fucking picky. If you want 100% buy a real one. Lots of hard work went into this Sunstreaker. I remember how many thought that we would never get a official Sunstreaker because of license issue's. And I remember even some said they would do anything if they could get a official Sunstreaker. Some of you are so hard to please and satisfy.

I look at Mp39 and I love it and appreciate what it is. Is it perfect? No. And I'm fine with that. It's a Transformer from a show that we all grew up watching and till this day is etched into our hearts. Most of us pushing 40's have kid's and we are spending our $$ collecting these. I know when I was a kid watching the show I didn' nit pick these. Even tho I knew many things were off. Who cares! Mp39 is and I get that g1 vibe of Sunstreaker that I know and love. I know it' not perfect, but again I don't care. I' just glad that they got the license and we are getting a Official Sunstreaker. And I said it years ago that one day the license thing is not a issue. Takara has them. Just like I'm gonna say that Jazz, Mirage, Hound, Cliffjumper have no license issue's because they are done deals with them car companies already.

Does anyone plan on painting Sunstreaker face silver? I can't tell if it's silver. I don't think it is. But I may try it when I get him. I know it's show accurate, but I'm getting two. So I'm gonna paint one with a silver face. Because I think the real Sunstreaker would have it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Optional Prime

Optional Prime Cereal Killer

I will!
    A non-silver face would look very much out of place in my collection... Never understood why they changed to that dull white/grey.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Interesting; any idea on if martini and gitanes liveries are going to be on Jazz and Mirage?

• Like Like x 1
  18. wrx20l

wrx20l Well-Known Member

Substandard animation/toon accuracy, c'mon man!

• Like Like x 2
  19. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know the details for that. I just know that there is no license issue for them.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Okay, here we go...

MP12-LP500S-comparison.gif
    No more a perfect match than Sunstreaker.

MP18-280Z-comparison.gif
    Also close, but not spot-on.

MP21-VWT1-comparison.gif
    Same here.

Variations are to be expected and it seems Takara Tomy does their best to keep those to a minimum while balancing the two modes. And, as others have said, Sunstreaker's alt mode was close enough to be accepted by Lamborghini.

This was fun, and I'd love to do the rest but I don't have time today. :) 

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 26