MP-39: Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, May 22, 2017.

1. Div

Div Cardboard Boximus

lol it wasnt just mirage, im ashamed to admit how many we bought from him & how much LOL

• Like Like x 1
  2. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Quick sunstreaker memory...

While going away on holiday with the fam to a resort back before I even started getting an allowance, we stopped in a store near the hotel to pick up things we might need...

My first transformer was windcharger... He, was in my pocket at the time.

But up on the shelves I seen sunstreaker, with a glorious alt mode and beaming yellow paint job... I remember I was told I could spend 10 dollars.

Greedy lil' only-child with no friends around, I spotted the smaller orangish gobot Lamborghini and police car that combined with others to form puzzler... Figured they could be my sunstreaker and prowl for the weekend.

That afternoon upon opening these gobots up, of course I was dissatisfied... But I wouldn't allow my mom to see that, she worked so hard for our income - so I played with them all afternoon and skipped going to the pool that day.

Fast forward to today. I never did get the other 4 puzzler figures, and since that day I always wished I had chosen sunstreaker instead - never again would I see him in stores.

• Like Like x 9
  3. franpincho

franpincho unapologetic king

This hits home. I remember seeing "some" original TF's at nice department stores in Peru, that would cost the equivalent of feeding a family of three for a month. My mom would get me KO's because she simply couldn't afford anything else.

Fast forward 26 years and I'm so excited about owning my first ever SS (not to be confused with usurper Sunsurge, he sucks). My story is one of the reasons I loathe KO's. It reminds me of everything about being not able to get the real thing because you don't have the means.

I love being a TF collector, more so an official one. While I like 3P, nothing beats seeing the words "Transformers" on that shiny box.

I will always be loyal to TT just for that. They, In a way, made my childhood great. Even If I couldn't afford any of them.

Keep the stories coming, this is amazing!

• Like Like x 8
  4. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Growing up I had few Autobots, always went for the Decepticons. My friends however had tons of Autobots. But for some reason nobody had Sunstreaker. As a matter of fact I have actually never held the G1 one in person. Same with Track's too. So this is my first Sunstreaker as I passed on the combiner wars one and the Binaltech.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    My grandparents owned a bed and Breakfast up in Maine. And we would often go there in the winter for snowmobile riding and help with their holiday decorations. I was probably around 5 years old. My birthday is a few days before Christmas and I remember getting my first transformers. I was given two transformers Afterburner and Sunstreaker. What an awesome birthday. And when Christmas came I opened Optimus Prime. Such great memories. I was a huge fan after that, and amassed a small collection that became heavily worn from endless play. Im so excited for MP Sunstreaker. Being able to collect modern updates to characters we grew up with and relive our childhood is what this hobby is all about. :) 

• Like Like x 7
  6. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Hearing stories like these are what coming here is all about. The one autobot I always wanted was sideswipe. I went so far to paint my red alert red. He ended up pink instead. Did the same to ultra Magnus. He became a pink poor man Prime.

• Like Like x 7
  7. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering Completist

Predaking was the first set of Transformers I bought with my own money. I was poor (probably most of us were) then and had a memo route in my apartment complex delivering memos to all of the tenants. There were a lot. $11.00 per route. Each Predacon back then was about that much. Managed to get legs and arms, but Razorclaw proved elusive. After searching and waiting, I finally found him at the local Walmart. It was like striking gold. And it was just sitting there, begging me. I started looking around like "do you not see this people? It's Razorclaw!" I snatched him up, took him to the check out where my Mom was and I was a dollar short. My Mom who never bought anything unless it was birthday or Christmas loaned me the dollar. Notice I said loaned. We drove home with my head out the window waving the box at my friends yelling "I got him!" It was a glorious day. Predaking was complete.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  8. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

Hey! I had that guy! Only combiner I ever got and explains why I got so heavily into Combiner Wars. I still have 4 of the six bots and would love to find other other 2. I'll give him credit. The car modes were fine, the bot modes sucked (even by the day's standards) but his combined mode had ZERO partsforming. That's pretty impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    Which ones are you missing? I had most of them years ago. But am left with one the black car. A leg I believe.

10. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought an amazingly clean puzzler a few years back (it's barely a shade below dead mint). It wasn't cheap, but was completely worth it.

Unlike some of you I NEEDED Sunstreaker. Sunsurge has served me well for a year and a half.

I'd have loved to be loyal to Takara. But they let me down (now fully redeemed of course)

I had this book as a child. I must've read it a thousand times?
    IMG_0811.JPG
    Cant remember the whole thing now. But becuase of this Sunstreaker was like my best bud. If I rode my bike I was Pretending to be Sunstreaker. If I went to the playground I was Sunstreaker.
    I would "fight" on top of the monkey bars and jump off with my parachute "jet judo".

I also loved Turbo and Tracks and Sideswipe and Bluestreak and Prowl.

Prime was just okay.
    Magnus was cooler. He carried cars.

Remember seeing the commercial for Magnus?
    Not knowing who he was.
    I thought he was going to be an upgrade to prime. I cleaned all the base boards in my grandmothers three story house to get him.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  11. Sorrow Six Star

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just bought that book. On eBay.
    Your childhood at your fingertips. :) 

12. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I completely remember that picture. I guess I had that book too. I also pretended to be Sunstreaker a lot haha

• Like Like x 1
  13. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

He's been pre-ordered since I got the email. I can't wait, I never had Sunstreaker and I'm so glad I never bought Surge, he's decent enough but this is spot on even proportions. Fake chest and backpack be damned, hasn't bugged me get, likely never will. So glad to see the toon head, and damn all the different modes with this guy, wow, he will be super fun to transform.

14. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quite the contrary! Oh, man, I remember getting GI Joe and Transformers from the Sears Wish Book and JC Penney holiday catalogs every Christmas season after picking what I wanted out of the books. They usually had 1-2 pages for each toy line, at least in the 80s. By the early 90s, pickings got a little slim, and Sears and JC Penney's toy sections in-store eventually vanished, for the most part. The only reason Sears has anything these days is their merger with Kmart and JC Penney doesn't really have a good selection of anything toy-related these days, if at all.

15. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That book was one of the first books my mother ever read to me as a child and if I'm not mistaken it's still somewhere in my parent's garage. Ahhhhh the memories.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lungbarrow

Lungbarrow Active Member

News Credits:
    What is the title of that book? I totally had that book and now I must find it again!

17. Sorrow Six Star

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Autobot's secret weapon

18. Sorrow Six Star

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Screen shots from eBay. Get nostalgic!

IMG_0815.jpg IMG_0816.jpg IMG_0817.jpg IMG_0818.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  19. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:
    Gi joe they had tons... but transformers in 84 and 85?

20. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:
    Found a site that had scans! 1985 sears catalog had transformers. 1985 Sears Wishbook For you all that want memories:) 

• Like Like x 13