MP 36 Megatron KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by rubadubspawn, Apr 2, 2017.

1. ManelFigures

ManelFigures You can't hear the bass, but you can feel it.

Instagram:
    Believe you fools!! The end is near!! :lol  :lol 

IMG_20200614_101941__01.jpg IMG_20200614_101952__01.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Shellformers

Shellformers MisterKento

3. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    MODS, do we have this info stickied? Do we need to make such an info?

REASON for yellowing is mainly UV. Plastic is organic and UV light is creating polymer degradation. Because it is organic, the main interaction causing yellowing in plastic is the creation of hydrogen chloride (HC)I due to the exposure of the plastic to UV. Solvent usage might also be a factor, but UV is the main culprit.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    The UV light is not the unique reason of the yellowing, the natural light or sun never touched my figures, I have them on a dark room with artificial light. Since the beginning of the times I have them with a controlled temperature and humidity (with a machine that pumps-out the humidity). Low quality plastics with porus can absorb everything from the environment, so maybe it absorved my own sweat I expend several hours of my free time there every day. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  5. Atomic Tofu

YouTube (Legacy):
    Manel....type this into your favored search engine, mine is Bing :D 
    "do artificial light sources have uv" ;) 

6. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    Oh thank you but I'm using led light stripes UV free, for example, my old Black Panther Hot Toys with the stripe led doesn't bright the pattern that he has on the suit, I have to use the his standbase or an UV flashlight. I only use leds for my figures. I perfectly know that the UV can do a figure, especially a Hot Toys figure :lol  mroe than 20 years collecting have given me bad experiencies :lol 

7. cirrusstratus1

cirrusstratus1 Banned

It's probably just background radiation.

8. ArrowHead

ArrowHead Well-Known Member

So is every bulb and light in the room led? To give an example, I use LED lights in my displays. But the central light fixture in the room that houses those displays is a regular bulb. One of my figures that was closest to this bulb yellowed pretty badly.

If this isn't the case, the other thing to keep in mind is that LED lights do emit uv, just much smaller amounts. But he is correct, the main reason for plastic to yellow is a chemical reaction started by uv rays.

9. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Αt least when shit hits the fan we can use them to fend off vampires.....WHAT?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Atomic Tofu

YouTube (Legacy):
    Sadly, I think the plastic will only ever absorb UV and cannot release it :D 

11. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    All led in this room. And nope, white and rgb led light don't has UV neither infrared.

12. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IT-01? The whole point of that figure is that its paint job is super durable so that you can transform it infinitely without it losing paint. Painting over that completely defeats the purpose.

14. noisetrigger

noisetrigger Well-Known Member

This is the exact reason why when I was buying a KO MP36 again I went with the THF. At least that one doesn't have yellowing plastic. The IT-01 I had to sell back then are already showing signs of yellowing.

Yellowing typically only happens on while plastic and UV is not always the reason. I had figures that was only ever in storage in carton boxes and they still yellowed after a few years and I had figures that was exposed to non direct sunlight daily and it didn't yellow.

My conclusion is that it has to do with the type of chemical composition used for the plastic. Like ABS are notorious for yellowing while PET or ASA have much better resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kamui

Kamui All hail Galvatron

is the yellowing going to be an issue outside of just looking a bit off
    if it's going to make the plastic brittle or something i'm going to have to skip on IT-01 sadly

16. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Hopefully the reissue isn't affected. Still too early to tell.

Anyone putting it under UV lights for an accelerated test? :D 

17. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

I've owned IT, the regular KO and Magten. Magten is my favorite by a mile. I believe it's repainted official figures like it was advertised. It's very good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Atomic Tofu

YouTube (Legacy):
    Yellowing will usually entail weakening of the plastic over time...the figure might end up holding together after 20 more years...but who knows. But I'll just repeat, UV is not the only, but main culprit. Solvents in the form of things you might use to clean or in the form of gases that might emanate from storage boxes can also react with the polymers in the plastics.

19. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My understanding is it's oxidation. Basically the plastic is rusting. Maybe that's accelerated by uv - I dunno. I've heard about people using hydrogen peroxide to reverse yellowing but I'll leave it to smarter or braver people than I to verify that.

My IT-01 isn't showing any signs of yellowing yet. I just checked him over, including his wrists: nothing. As I understand it, IT-01 uses some sort of durable coating to protect his paint which is why he's so scratch resistant and why the semi-metallic grey looks so much duller than on other versions of MP36. Perhaps it is this coating that is susceptible to yellowing. As for why mine hasn't succumbed yet, I have no idea. I can tell you I live in a very dry climate and my display case is in a basement with LED lights and very little sunlight, though there are windows (with blinds) that sunlight comes in through (none facing the display case, though, so it's never in direct sunlight). The case is not airtight and it has small led lights that are always on. Make of that whatever you will.

20. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Reminds me of seeing so many snes consoles with yellowed grey.

• Like Like x 1