MP 36 Megatron KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by rubadubspawn, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Funny that you guys are more worried about the colors then the flaws he has.

2. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

The more I think about it, we really do need a Voyager scaled G1 Megatron.
    As much as I love my Hegemon, he just looks so past his time.

3. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

To be fair, Transformers are not essential to living. They are a luxury, if someone can't afford them then a second job is a way to get these luxuries or you dont have those luxuries, anyone is in full control of their own choosing
    I'm all for a straight KO at a cheaper price but to think it's essential to get it into more hands is a bit short sighted, these are still protected IP's and KO's shouldn't be expected for people with lower incomes to be able to afford them.

I want a Lambo but appreciate I may need to get 6 extra jobs if I want one.

4. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

I think it's a little bit of an assumption that people who want a cheap or better-priced KO would have difficulty affording an original. For me, while I'm not super rich, I make a pretty decent living and chose not to buy an original because the price just didn't sit well with me. I was wholly prepared to just not have an MP36, original or KO, unless I could justify the price.

For the avoidance of doubt, I've no objections against an up or downsized KO. I too see a big gap for a voyager Megs. Personally I'd just prioritise a 1:1 KO withthe added consideration that it'd likely be the easiest and quickest to push out.

I'm just against the beggar-thy-neighbour sort of thing where I must succeed at the expense of somebody else, or only what I want matters and I specifically don't want others to get what they want. I'm not oblivious to how this sometimes needs to be the case in life, but in this particular instance, it's unnecessary. And it's still distasteful no matter the circumstance.

• Like Like x 5
  5. kukuburd

kukuburd Eh?

I can afford to buy mp36 if i wanted, just like i can easily afford to buy 3 sets of Maketoys' Guardia and then proceed to break all the axles in half.

Problem is i can't justify it. Mp36 megs looks amazing, but not at its asking price, what with all the paint chipping issues and superfluous add ons that i don't need.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Forrio

Forrio Member

Can't believe how PR can change people's opinion. When I saw first MP-36 scans, I (and many other peolple) thought: "What the heck? Is this ridiculous figure with unfinished back and strange proportions a new Megatron? It looks like a piece of junk, but not a Masterpiece figure".
    But after release we saw a bunch of HQ photos promoting this "Masterpiece" figure, some complimentary reviews (on the whole, made by stores, selling this sh%t) and 90% of these people (looking on the photos, reading reviews, etc) change their minds. But if I see junk, nothing can change my mind, especially the overpriced cost of this junk.
    Btw, the price on mp-36 in japan stores was starting from 15000-16000 yen, now we see $200 - $230 and sales of mp-36 are grow.

So, here the receipt:

choose a main character
    make a sh%ty, strange and unfinished figure of this character
    name it Megatron
    make a good PR and advertising with tons of HQ photos with this figure
    wait 2-3 weeks
    raise the price
    PROFIT!

7. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

There's no point arguing about it. There are and will continue to be KOs and people will buy them for whatever reason they want. Trying to justify why it should be one way or another is just silly as there's not going to be a definitive right or wrong answer... and it's not going to stop anyone from buying KOs.

Let's just get back to discussing everyone's OPINIONS on what they would like to see out of this KO.

Shanxs asked why we aren't concerned about fixing what's wrong with the figure. What do y'all think is wrong that is reasonable to assume it can be fixed?

One thing would be the connection of the barrel extension that scrapes paint off the tip of the gun. Maybe that can be engineered differently?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    just one more thing.
    no one needs to justify why they are purchasing something to you. its their choice why they want or dont want to buy it and we have to respect other peoples ways and opinions.

what flaws besides the paint chips are there

• Like Like x 3
  9. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I would prefer a smaller version as well, I think this way of voicing your opinion isn't gonna get you anywhere (as you can see from the responses)...unless you want to get down to the ethics of replica knockoffs.

The price is ridiculous, for sure...but it's easy to say something is too expensive and go the 'easy route' (of the ko), but don't you find this difficult at all?

I wonder how many people have the guts to tell the wonderful designers and engineers of MP-36 straight in the face: 'sorry, I don't support Takara's business model so I bought a cheaper knockoff'...Maybe if one envisions such a hypothetical situation one would look at this ko issue from another perspective.

10. OstOgBajer

For me it was seeing it in a video, being able to better see the paint, different angles, being posed, transformed, etc.

It is still an overpriced mess of panel lines and I much prefer Despotron for my Masterpiece collection. But I think this guy, and a toon accurate Prime would look nice on their own shelf together because while I think the Sunbow cartoon was horribly animated, it still means something to me. I don't want all my Masterpiece figures to be toon accurate, but I would be happy with just Prime and Megs.

11. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just saw the horrible pics of MANY breaks and have to add that I'd like the KO to have the durability to survive multiple transformations.

12. OstOgBajer

I haven't seen this... I'm watching the official thread... Where are these pics?

13. artimus prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Post 8398 on the official thread has the link.

• Like Like x 1
  14. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Wait.. Who's raising the price? Was it Takara or the resellers? You're referring to supply and demand.

15. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    When you say "many", it doesn't mean it's rampant and widespread, right?

I think most will agree that if there's a 1:1 scale copy, that people would want to have "fixes" in place to avoid those breakages. For those that want the KO OS version, they'd like to have it re-engineered, much like what blackapple did for MPP10. People would also welcome a Voyager scaled version, to match KBB MP10V.

16. ARSone24

ARSone24 TFEW Revo

Ebay:
    OK after 13 pages, what I want is for them to put this thing into production already !!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. artimus prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Three is a few any more is many. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

While i didnt make the comment you're referencing, I'd agree that it's absolutely right to say that retail pricing is set by the retailers/sellers as opposed to TT and that any such increase is a retailer/seller decision.

That said, as has been suggested by others, I'm pretty sure TT already took their pound of flesh even from the wholesale price, given that this guy is the v2 Megs we've all been dying to get a hold of for years.

I'm going to trot out the "there are no bad toys, only bad prices" line again. At current pricing, MP36 isn't for me. He becomes significantly more attractive in inverse proportion to that price, though. Odd proportions and gappy back aside, his articulation seems phenomenal compared to the 3P versions. My friends tell me they prefer his transformation to the 3P versions, too.

I've got plenty of official MPs. I'm even willing to pay a certain premium for an official over a KO, and I have done so multiple times. But please don't abuse my goodwill in this regard; that unfortunately seems to be the case for MP36 (and recently also with the exclusive Coneheads).

Ok, enough of Debbie Downer/OTing - given my feedback for what I'd like in a high end KO, let's see what happens next. Que sera sera. Hope that most can be happy with whatever we get, if and when we get it.

19. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Official MP Megs 2.0
    Hopefully it isn't a widespread issue.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Ah yeah, ofcourse this is great original taktom quality. Hmmm i missed my boat on this guy. Hope to get one on second batch. Good to know he is crap quality, so i will not transform him when i get it. Just out of the bix on the shelf.
    Transform it when i have the robot hero one. Should be way better quality.