MP-13 Soundwave to be reissued this year

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cheem The Rup, May 30, 2019.

1. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I wonder is this a factory they normally use? Ive never worked in a toy factory but Im pretty sure paint is applied by machine, its basically a program. Some of this looked like te material waa prepped/ cleaned corrrctly resulting in a crappy paint job. Mp-17+ was like that a bunch of minor defects like hair and bubbles in spots.

2. IwatchTV

IwatchTV Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna have to think twice on this now.

Here's hoping that a V2 Soundwave ends up reasonably priced.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s what my soundwave face looks like. Man price hikes are one thing, but when quality goes down AND the price goes up, you’re really pissing people off.

I’m gonna wait and see how BB and Hound come out, maybe it’s mold degradation, or maybe it’s the new factory.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m returning mine. I have MP-02 so just going to keep that. But if I didn’t have 02, I’d keep it in spite of the flaws.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

Yeah this is my first time getting this mould so I’m gonna keep it. It’s not end of the world just a little bummer for such a great character

• Like Like x 1
  6. Illustrious

Illustrious Member

I got mine in today from TF Source, and it’s as bad as the ones people have posted here in the last day. The eyes have those bubbles/pockmarks in the paint, the paint on Lazerbeak is all scratched up on the cassette face side, the ratchet on the top right leg that moves the leg forward and back is completely locked up. Needless to say I’m not happy, this is the worst MP I’ve ever bought as far as QC.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got mine this week (from BBTS). I just took a close look at it and it looks really good to me. I can’t see any obvious QC issues, although that could be in part because I’m less exacting than some of you. I’m very happy - he’s coming to work with me and living in my office.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

You probably landed a good one man. If you looked closely and didn't notice QC issues, then you likely didn't have any. The brush strokes, scratches and paint bubbles/distortion are really obvious upon inspection on mine. They just didn't translate well with my iPhone camera. I'm sure they would with a better camera and lighting. Either way, in hand, it's obvious when looking for QC.

And even then, I would either have just kept it or exchanged it (AJ offers returns and exchanges) if I didn't already own MP-02. I only bought it because A) the price was right for me at AJ and B) I wanted the red eyes/visor. But not worth chancing another dud trying to exchange and not worth keeping since I already own it.

9. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Disappointing to see that some people aren’t having a great time with this reissue.

I cancelled my preorder a while back (after being excited to get a fresh copy for sentimental reasons...), as I’ve come to realise (again) that I’m being a bit silly with some collecting choices hahah.

For now, and probably until a V2 sees the light of day, my OG V1 will have to hold the fort.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I recall, my Hasbro yellow visored version had the same circles.

But I dumped MP's a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BronxUST

BronxUST Well-Known Member

Just checked my copy from AJ, no QC issues on mine. I had the previous reissue and I had to sell it, I didn’t remember it was so light, but I’m very happy it’s back on my shelf with MMC’s cassettes. Are you protecting the paint under the feet somehow?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Does a US official release usually follow shortly after?

13. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not for this re-release. Your best ordering from Amazon JP

• Like Like x 2
  14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Somehow, I've totally breezed by this thing coming out.

15. ModMax

ModMax Well-Known Member

I have an original MP-02 Soundwave and the silver paint has a metallic specked luster to it - almost like very fine glitter paint. I noticed that the Hasbro Asia re-issue of MP-02 had a flat silver paint. Does this MP-13 Takara re-issue have the metallic luster silver or the flat silver paint?

16. MishMash

MishMash Well-Known Member

So I've got a personal anecdote to share. I've had an MP-02 secondhand from someone in this forums and it was very special to me because Soundwave is a character I have strong emotional attachment to. Unfortunately, the panel on his right leg cracked and I couldn't get it repaired in any sense. But, I did have enough money to at least get this reissue after selling some stuff and only barely. And now I have this reissue.

The short version. Don't get it.

The long version. I was kind of excited getting my first brand new Masterpiece figure ever. This was the only Transformer I had on my person, and I didnt have any issues with his paint or anything on this guy, until i got to actually moving him.

This thing is super stiff to the point of feeling like breaking.

Every joint on him is tight. And I initially chalked it up to him having brand new joints that need to wear to be smooth, and transforming him was an hour long test of frustration in getting this guy to work.

What i contribute a large part of the problem, is that it feels as though he was meant to hold stronger joints that aren' t there, leading to a figure that feels like a chew toy with not enough solidity to hold its joints. It may sound confusing, but if this video can help explain:

My old cracked Hasbro SW has joints that move like a dream. Pardon the poor camera, but you can tell from the sound he moves smoothly and satisfyingly.

This reissue however, has a much harder time moving his leg, and you can see what appears to be the leg bending before the ratchet joint can even move. Theres a larger struggle in just getting this things legs to move. It was used with some different material, due to the weight of the figure, but its not very good.

So now Im left with a not that great Soundwave that I contacted Amazon over and a Soundwave that is good with a cracked side hinge.

Any suggestions? This puts a downer on my mood.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the update
    Are you saying the joints/ratchets are too tight/stiff? Does this result in it being quite hard to move the limbs? as in most cases this is what most people want in their figures rather than floppy limbs

18. MishMash

Sort of? But its more the plastics aren't strong enough to maintain the ratchet.

Look at the video, if you don't mind. Notice the sound and the relative "right amount" of pressure it takes to move a joint on the MP-02's leg, and you can feel its soliditiy by the "cracking knuckle" sound.

If you see the MP-13s leg joint, it takes significantly more work to move the joint, and you can see the plastic leg almost flexing before it finally gives in and the ratchet joint clicks, causing the clicks to sound hollow, almost as if he could break.

19. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I got you now,
    I recall when the 2nd Hasbro/Toys R Us Grimlock was released it was quite noticeable the decrease in overall quality between that and the original Hasbro/Toys R Us release
    How's the chrome on the new MP-13?
    I used to own the Hasbro Soundwave and MP-13B Soundblaster and the chrome seemed very thinly applied and quite scratched up

20. MishMash

Eh, it looked fine. Wowed me for a sec, but I was a bit too distracted by the thing feeling like it would snap at a moments notice to properly enjoy them. Actually figurin out a way to return it on Amazon.co.jp without having to pay the return fee myself

Man, I'm really unsure how to feel about these figures. I know to some people they are the "pinnacle" of modern Transformers and such, and I enjoy the IDEA of these figures being transformable figures with as little ugly kibble as possible considering im not a fan of how the retail figures are... but man, with the issues Ive had with this line, its not for me. Ive got a life to live and managing hours of my day for a luxury item that causes more frustration than joy for me is a telltale sign this kinda line isnt for me.

• Like Like x 2