MP-11 vs. USA MP Starscream: which did you keep? (The scaling back thread)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DanicusTF(cdn), Nov 25, 2012.

1. DanicusTF(cdn)

DanicusTF(cdn) Well-Known Member

I bought MP-11 when he was first released, and recently got around to unboxing him the other day. I held off because I just knew he would taint my impression of the USA MP Screamer, which back in the day, was a pain in the ass to find. I have been trying to scale down my collection as of late due to both financial issues and the lack of display space; however, i am finding it hard to let go either of them. The character is an alltime favorite of mine, and both are fantastic representations; while MP-11 is much more accurate and regal looking, I also enjoy the weathering details and the updated look to the USA edition, along with that cocky half-smile.

So, who here has owned both? Which did you wind up keeping, or are both still part of your collection? And on a grander scale, how hard do you find letting things go when it come to scaling back/ winding down your collection?

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Myself I perfer the mp-11 mold over the mp-3 mold, so i'd say keep mp-11

i still need to get the starscream version of mp-11 to go with thundercracker

3. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I have both. MP-11 is my default Screamer in my main Cons shelf, sans coronation gear. Got him holding the little mini Megatron pistol that came with iGear's PP01 Faith Leader. He looks great next to TRU MP Thundercracker and Takara MP-06 Skywarp (I swapped the head with an extra TRU MP TC I had laying around that I'm keeping just in case there is no MP Skywarp v2 to be released.... I can just pay a customizer to paint him black and purple for me then).

[​IMG]

Really tempted to get MP Sunstorm and place him in Starscream's spot on my shelf, and move Starscream out in front of Skywarp (he has a new head I swapped with an extra TRU MP Thundercracker) with his coronation gear (will have to shuffle my Insecticons and Reflector guys a little).

Takara Walscream (the white Walmart version repackaged for Japan) I have displayed with the coronation gear. The cape fits fine, and the crown sits a little loosely but not bad. The shoulder pads I had to finagle and they rest very loosely on his arms once I posed them with his fists on his waist. The weight of it all requires the display stand since he has no heel support and he'll just topple over. I've been thinking of selling Walscream off but he's got a soft spot in my heart for some odd reason.

4. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Ya know what? I just didn't buy MP11. I'll keep the old one and not really care. Hard to justify shelling out to buy the same figure again, not even a redeco or anything.

When I get annoyed I will radicon it and make it like the MP11

5. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

iGear all the way. :) 

6. grymg

grymg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The USA Scream is going for pretty good resale value on ebay so I would sell that one off in favor of the better mold.

7. yummehcheese

yummehcheese Well-Known Member

I've never owned the Walmart edition, just MP11, but based on pictures and reviews etc, I think MP11 is the definitive Starscream thus far.
    If I had to pick one, I'd go with MP11, it looks like it came straight out of the show :D 
    And this is coming from a huge Starscream fan haha.

8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Another vote for both.

9. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't own either, but I have Walmart skywarp and TRU Thundercracker. Even tho the skywarp is my only skywarp, I'm considering selling it since next to the mp-11 mold, it just looks silly to me now. I'd say. Dump the walscream if you've got mp-11 Starscream. Financial combined with shelf space makes it an easy choice to me, but then again I've been trying to get a better handle on my collecting handle so my mindset is to be extra scrutinizing right now of what needs to be kept because its awesome and/or unique and what needs to go because its less than awesome and/or redundant.

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A.) That wasn't an answer to the OP question and B.) Other than price, Traitor's soul-less deco has absolutely nothing visually on Hasbro's MP-3 or Takara's MP-11.

I never purchased MP-11 so I can't really say which is better. But based on secondary market values, MP-11 has the highest resale potential.

11. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Well as it stands for me, I prefer both the original Starscream MPs I'm ignoring the new MP Scream.

I'm not buying any of the new MP seekers since I already have all the originals and am still quite happy with them.

12. AndHisArmada

AndHisArmada Decepticon Saboteur

Ebay:
    I went for the MP-11 Starscream simply because I think he is the best version of G1 Screamer yet released. I have the Takara version of Skywarp which uses the MP-03 mold, and quite honestly the hip kibble on him irritates me no end. I am so glad Hasbro used the MP-11 mold for Thundercracker!

13. DanicusTF(cdn)

DanicusTF(cdn) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses guys, still having a hard time making my mind up.

Though I have to wonder, will Takara re-release 'Craker and 'Warp using the MP-11 mold too? That will just add to my dilemma lol.

14. AndHisArmada

AndHisArmada Decepticon Saboteur

Ebay:
    If they do I will definitely upgrade old Warp.

15. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't own either one, but if I did I'd keep MP-11 for sure.

16. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    I was skeptical of buying such a similar mold, but once I had MP-11 in hand, it was all swelling music and cheesy montages of us running through fields together.

17. sh002

sh002 Banned

The newer mold is better but until they release a new Skywarp, I'm sticking to the 3 original release seeker molds of Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    This is same situation I'm in. That in addition to having Takara TC and SW, the 3 of them match better.

I did however pick up MP11s Sunstorm to have a version of the new mold. And I figure I can still use Sunstorm's cape with the 3rd party Coronation gear that I have for USA MP SS.

19. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I sold off my walscream the second I heard of MP-11 . I used the cash I got for him to pay for the newer upgrade.

Although I know how you feel. I have Takaras as well as Hasbros MP-10. I love both just the same an could never part with either.

20. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I love my two MP-11s and it feels better than my walmart skywarp