MP-06 Skywarp

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by KYQ, Sep 1, 2007.

1. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    O.K. well I received my Masterpiece Skywarp today. My reaction to this new repaint is mixed. Let me begin with (and I do not remember anyone else mentioning these things so forgive me if I am offering already known info). I noticed 2 major improvements to this mould in comparison to MP Starscream. The first of these is the shoulder joints. Big improvement here, the ratcheting is much smoother than on SS and the outward and upward movement of the arms to the sides (for example like he’s flapping his arms) is much less tight. This is pleasing to me. I do not feel like I’m going to break him. The second of these improvements is the legs. Extending the legs down is so much easier than on SS.

Now with the random changes. Not really good or bad just …..well new stuff. First is the hardware holding the waist onto the torso. Here we have a pin where on SS resides a screw. Either one is good to hold on the lower extremities, however this is a complication for those of us that like to repaint this toy. We all know it is rougher to pull a pin than to remove a screw. Second of these differences is the “mean” face. In all honesty, to me he looks like he’s pushing a cyber-turd. Nuff said. At least SS “smirk” is believable.

And now the negative. With my example of this figure the robot mode is near flawless. The F-15 E mode fits together like it was assembled in the dark. Can we say Picasso. I’ve seen D-derby cars with a better fit. As with many reports that I have read, the air break panel will not lay flush to the spine of the aircraft. But the worst is the seam under the main wing assembly. It just will not stay together. And the joints where the wing folds up on the back of the robot is still showing stress marks. My SS fit was seamless in both modes. I give Skywarp a 6.5 out of 10.

2. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I got my MP SW yesterday, and I LOVE it. I never had Greenscream to compare it to, but I didn't notice any stress marks or any sort of damage from the repeated transformations I inflicted upon him. And while I agree the alt face is kinda goofy, I count myself lucky at least mine came with all the parts and pieces intact and functional.

I spent the evening taking him apart, then tweaking, adjusting, and securing parts like I always do. The only problem I still have is the apparently common recurring issue with the Air Brake panel not laying flush... and after he tastes my workbench toolbox tonight, I wager that little problem will be taken care of as well.

Skywarp is my favorite of the seekers, but I'm definitely getting the USA SS, and then I'll be crossing my fingers for a trifecta. ;) 

3. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

How do I make that airbrake dealio sit lower to line up better in plane mode?

4. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

You sand that thick glossy crap off. This might help to lower the squeaky factor too.

5. ShadowStitch

I did a little sanding trying to get mine to lay flat, but after I really looked at it, the thing that worked for me was using a soldering iron to heat up some of the pins under the metal bars holding the airbrake section, and nudging them in the softened plastic just enough to relieve the excess tension that caused the part to keep popping back up.

This is somewhat tricky to do, and I don't recommend it for someone who hasn't used a soldering iron to remove pins or such before, but it definitely got results for me. I love my Skywarp even more than before, and it's made me actually pick up Greenscream as well! (Sure he's not really Thundercracker, but any port in a storm, right?)

6. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

I sanded on the top and sides of the panel starting with coarse and working down to extra fine, creating a nice smoth finish. That gloss is thick and took several minutes with the coarse paper before clear dust stopped coming off. This worked perfectly and looks great. I still can't believe how long it took to get thru that clear layer. Skywarp looks marvelous now in both modes.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Alright, I broke down and won Skywarp off ebay a few days ago...I did have one question though, how big is the jet mode? Like how long from nose to tail and how wide from wingtip to wingtip. I refused to get Starscream due to the shitty colors, so I have no idea the size...

8. ShadowStitch

Since MP Skywarp is the same as Starscream, I refer you to this thread for measurements and comparison photos:

http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=78471

9. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

After I ripped it outta the shipping box, lol, man this mp-06 box is not small by any means. It takes up quite a bit of real estate on any shelf. When I peeled it open, the plane is actually quite large. I was reading those starscream reviews and seeing that people were kinda comparing to Alternator's, but this thing is pretty big don't get me wrong. And hearing that it's light in weight, not really to me.... its actually quite heavy. I didnt get starscream, so skywarp is my first MP seeker. Its really quite a piece of work.

Thanks for the tips on the airbrake thing guys. I havent really messed around with any sanding yet, or heating up anything just quite yet....Im a noob when it comes to that custom stuff, but Ill get it to sink in one of these days.....

10. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

is he heavy?

11. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks!

Thanks for the review! I need this guy to pose next to USA Masterpiece Starscream. :) 

12. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Shipping Weight: 3.08 pounds

Starscream measures 13” long in jet mode and 10” high in robot mode. (BBTS numbers)

I dunno wing to wing size.....

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Thanks, I really appreciate it! That sounds awesome, can't wait till it arrives. I'm looking forward to Hasbro's REAL Masterpiece Starscream, but Skywarp always had the best color scheme so I think I'll prefer it over Screamer ;) 

14. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That pic alone makes the goofy looking face tolerable... they should have angled his eyes as well to give him a "sinister grin".... I mean, since they went through the trouble of molding him teeth....

15. Madjester

Madjester Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    was wondering what parts are diecast?

16. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

None, beyond a frame in his chest invisible in both modes.

17. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Just got this guy yesterday at a local import shop. I took it out of the box yesterday but I was too tired to read through the instructions and fiddle around with him. I got the courage tonight, and man this guy is slick! At first I wasn't gonna put the wing stripes or con symbols on his wings but after transforming Skywarp into botmode, I had to put those decals on. I never got the Screamer version of the mold, but this glossy black finish is beyond awesome. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a TF purchase in quite some time! Definitely worth every cent.

18. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Ah, I have mine sitting in it's box right now debating whether or not to open it or unload it. I think you've swayed me to keeping it and opening it up!

19. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Yeah, definitely open that sucker up! I think if I had the extra cash lying around, I'd get another one to keep MISB, but oh well.

20. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I picked up Skywarp at the last TF con in Toronto. DEFINITELY a worthwhile purchase! I'm sure it's just the paint scheme, but the overall feel of the plastic is better... very much like the plastic used in Classics Skywarp. The jet mode is just gorgeous... even if there is no such thing as a glossy black F-15, it still has that realistic model kit plane feel. The extra face is so-so, but it's a free bonus, so who cares?

I've got him posed with my Masterpiece Starscream (Who, due to 'battle damage' from a tumble off a shelf is due for replacement when the G1 colored Screamer comes out) and they look reall good together in both modes. Now I just need a Thundercracker.

... Please don't screw me on Thundercracker like you did with Classics? Please? PLEASE!?