MP-05 Masterpiece Megatron 30th Anniversary Exclusive Rerelease

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by shiftypenguin, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Optimus Prime 3

Optimus Prime 3 Autobot Commander

Ebay:
    Why not MP-40 submachinegun Megatron? :lol 

MP 40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Doesn't look as good as I hoped. Maybe a bit too much goldcolor? But still, a nice looking display piece and I look forward to some great pictures.

(Still dislike Megatron as a gun, dislike the mold and I think it's too expensive.)

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    That's hideous.

4. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

I don't get why people hate MP Megatron so much.

He is now off scale, sure, but to me he is one of the best MPs to ever be made. The bigger the better, imo.

Don't understand why they've changed his colour scheme, though.

5. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like it.

6. Dev1160

Dev1160 A.K.A. DevastaTTor

That's pretty gaudy. It'll probably do ok in Asia but I can't see it selling well in the west.

That being said, anyone looking for this figure should check out my BST thread. I've got a new, untransformed MP Megatron for sale at a recently reduced price.

7. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think it looks better than the original. Still a very easy pass.

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I don't know how many people are going to buy this, that just..... terrible!

9. Katarn84

Katarn84 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm fine with my MP-5R. Where R is for Rusty.

Got him last year for 60 € (around 70/75 $ depending on change rates). I will consider buying another if it get a MP-10ish overhaul, but for me pre-MP10 molds don't deserve a second buy.

10. TheBigBad

TheBigBad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No orange plug...

11. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i REALLY hope you actually do understand why people don't like the mold.. i mean, it's VERY obvious why.. at the time we had MP01 and MP04, both were GREAT representations of prime.. MP04 more so because of the trailer. MP05 on the other hand is not a great representation of megatron, not by a long shot. i, personally like the complexity of the transformaiton.. but the problems are WAY obvious.. his thin spindly legs, his rusty metal feet, his weird elbows, the huge panels on his hips, the fact that the gun mode doesn't stay together particularly well because stuff doesn't totally snap together like it's supposed to, the head/face doesn't look much like he did in the cartoon, his giant disproportionate arm cannon, the lack of a stock and silencer.. and on and on.

so.. at the time it wasn't a terrible mold.. but since then it gets worse every year.. i mean, the MP01/04 mold still holds up over time, but after releases like MP10, soundwave, the datsuns, the lambos, wheeljack, and the cassettes, MP05 just looks worse and worse.

i'm most definitely not going to buy it, but i do think it's neat looking. i think the gold color they chose is rather nice. but, the mold is just meh.

12. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... you know this actually makes me hopeful of getting a MP-10 scaled V2 Megatron. Right before they released MP-10 they reissued MP-04 Convoy/Prime as a final edition. So it is possible that we could see a new Megatron or they may just make a gold or silver MP-01 Prime to go with this Megatron. But I'm hoping for the new version of Megatron or even a Galvatron.

13. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've lost hope that this is a 'last version' or whatever you call it. I don't think this means anything regarding a new megatron. BBTS calls it a 30th anniversary Megatron and I think that's all it is. I don't think it has anything to do with what's coming up. If they wanted people to have a 'last chance' at this mold they wouldn't release it like this.

14. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks kinda cool but it's very niche in an already niche market. Odd that they left his face untouched by the gold.

Yeah.... that is just BS speculation, agreed. Did Hasbro tell Takara no when they announced MP-24 was Star Saber, a Japanese cartoon only character (and thus supposedly would not sell well in the West due to no known media in the West to back it up)? I seriously doubt MP-23 Exhaust will see a Stateside release too. Takara does what they want (licenses willing) and Hasbro simply cherry picks and ports over whatever character or mold they think will sell in the West.

Airsoft guns that very closely resemble the real deal are also fine and sold widely in toy/hobby stores in Japan too. Often, the same store offers both Transformers figures and airsoft guns, so they're sold side by side in some cases. It helps that Japan has one of the strictest gun control laws in the world, of course, so there's very little chance of anyone in Japan mistaking a toy gun for a real one.

Takara releasing a gun Megatron would not present a legal problem at all, I think, unless there were licensing issues (maybe with Walther). Hasbro Asia though, I'm not too familiar with that part of the world legal-wise, so I can't rightly say.

15. Sovietbot

Sovietbot Autobot from USSR

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Judging by the blue parts, he can be considered Megaplex.

16. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    That doesn't look like Megatron plated in Electrum.

Jazz was done right.

[​IMG]

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Dammit you just reminded me I've always wanted Electrum Jazz haha

18. hugoboss

hugoboss Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was already discussed and if it's any consolation, TFSource is also taking preorders and will NOT modify the figure with an orange plug.

19. HairyDawg

HairyDawg UGA - Go Dawgs!

Thanks! Switched preorder from BBTS. Have the original MP-5 without the plug. Don't want to mess around with that junk.

20. hugoboss

hugoboss Well-Known Member

No worries. And I actually confirmed with their customer service about this.