Moving!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tgg7979, Nov 3, 2019.

1. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    I have been dreading this for years....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Deltron Magnus

Deltron Magnus TFW's Prettiest Princess

I don't blame you. Moving is a royal pain for those with a lot of small, breakable things. When we moved to this house, I wasn't collecting, but we had plenty of other stuff like that which made for a lot of work. The prospect of moving again is not a pleasant thing to ponder, and I hope it doesn't happen for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wreckage MK4

Wreckage MK4 Banned

I feel your pain, I moved into a smaller place so I bought tons of packing peanuts and plastic bins.

4. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

We moved into a new house 6 years ago. A week after we got there the basement flooded. Nothing had been unpacked yet so everything was downstairs when it happened. Spent about 8 hours drying these things out. Indeed, moving is not fun. FB_IMG_1572816152420.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  5. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Moving isn't fun trust me. but seriously has that room looked like that for years or are you just taking them out to pack?

• Like Like x 2
  6. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I would just leave my collection for the buyer. Should raise the home value quite significantly.

• Like Like x 6
  7. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    I’m moving them out of the room they were displayed in to pack as well as so the room can be painted

8. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

I just get a big box,have then in alt mode and layer them.
    THIS SOMEHOW WORKED FOR TRYIPTICON. UTTER BULL SH##!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Did you move yet? If not when are you moving?

10. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    This will probably be me next spring/summer. Luckily about 75% of my collection can be reboxed or recarded to transport them.

11. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm moving in a month. I've packed everything that has a box, all that's left are a dozen small Sterilite bins full of mainline stuff.

I'm moving like a block away upstairs, so everything will be carried by hand by a mover. Should I either:

A. Unload the contents of those bins into boxes, bubble wrapping/newspapering the loose figures in them so the bins dont get damaged

Or B. Saran wrap the sterilite bins into chunks that can be carried?

12. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When i moved, i did my best to move/carry 90% of my figures. And mine were all in sterlite totes pretty much. Didn't really bubble wrap but you may want to tape them shut even if the lids lock

13. ArrowHead

ArrowHead Well-Known Member

Oh God, this is my absolute worst nightmare. In the process of trying to buy a house and sell the 2nd floor condo I've been in for 20+ years. The plan is to shut down my recording studio and move all my music gear and toys into the basement and eventually finish/refinish the basement with some serious soundproofing.

I'm going to have, just to guess, 70-100,000 dollars worth of stuff in the basement. Most of it irreplaceable, at ANY cost. (Vintage guitars, outboard gear, etc...)

How did your insurance handle it when you got flooded? Did you purchase flood insurance? If not, do you have it now? Any issues with flooding since?

14. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Moved from Chicago to Dún Laoghaire a few weeks ago... whole collection is currently boxed up and in a shipping container somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. How will customs go? I GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT TOGETHER

15. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Insurance only covered damage to the appliances (not water heater, furnace etc.). Any collectibles (toys, comics, ganes etc) need to be appraised separately and have their kind of insurance. Did not purchase flood insurance as it flooded but because of an issue with with our sump (so it wouldn't have covered the issue regardless). No more flooding problems, found the cause, fixed it.

Also all my TF were saved.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

Transport the figures yourself in small batches with none of them stacked on top of each other inside the bins. Will take more time but you won't have as many damaged or lost parts. You can use a beach towel to line the outside of the bin (or something smaller, I don't know the size of your bins). Then stand the figures up inside the bin in rows, with hand towels to separate the rows from each other if desired. They should all be holding their own accessories if possible. Or you can put all the accessories and loose parts in a separate, secure container for extra safety.

Consider walking. The road transfers way more vibration and impact to your cargo than is healthy. All those ball joints and pins and pegs and swivels--do you really want them settling into a different, more loose configuration? Want to give that chrome an excuse to flake off? That clear plastic a chance to crack? I'm just saying...

I know you're only moving a block away, but a missing or damaged item is a lost item... The reason I suggest moving it all yourself, on foot, is that way you know exactly what kind of momentum transfer the bin and figures have endured. Sorry, but movers don't give a fuck. I would bet some of them are jaded enough that when you ask them to be careful, they shake things extra, because the world is full of vengeful and vindictive morons looking for excuses to punish each other for the tiniest slights or annoyances.

As they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself. And I understand you have a great collection, so I hope you'll take your time moving it and not trust it to a disinterested 3rd party!