Moving/Packing Advice Needed Please.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sportimus, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know where exactly I'll be moving to, but I know I'll be moving at least 500 to at most 1,500 miles from where I'm at right now, and I could really use some packing advice for my collection.

I have moved before years ago (roughly 900 miles), but back then my collection was a lot smaller compared to now. I used regular cardboard moving boxes and stowed my stuff in ziplock plastic bags & bubble wrap. Since then I have a large collection and have purchased hard plastic totes to store things. Would these plastic totes be secure enough to use for storing/moving my collection or should I still use cardboard moving boxes? The totes that I have have holes on the sides of the lids and box where i can use zip ties to seal the lids. I don't know if that is a good idea or not?

What would you recommend for moving loose G1, CHUG, MP, and action figures?

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totes should be fine. Just fill in any gaps so things don't bounce around. Clothes would work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Sealed plastic boxes are helpful if you expect to encounter moisture during the move. Most plastic boxes aren't water tight, so don't plan to get them soaking wet. Otherwise, remember to allow the box to do the structure thing - let it support the weight of the boxes on top and beside it - don't overpack your boxes so tight that your TFs inside became load bearing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    The plastic bags and bubble wrap for loose figures is still a good idea. Don't pack them tight because you don't want the forces the boxes will be subjected to to force the figures to break eachother, but don't pack them super loose, either. If you can pack them in smaller boxes, 1 - 3 to a small cardboard box that might be lying around for example, then pack them in the larger totes that would also help protect any fragile ones.

--Moony

5. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Good advice here.

Also I find transforming figures are typically less vulnerable to breakage when packed up in the alt mode. Generally its more compact, and there aren't those pesky limbs sticking out every which way to get broken off.