Movie Version Of Autobots Still Come Accross As Scumbags?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by lazerface, Jun 28, 2014.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of my biggest complaints about the first 3 movies was the fact that most of the Autobots, including Prime had times where they seemed like complete scumbags... Completely out of character compared to most other fiction's iterations of the Autobots.

I know it has been complained repeatedly on these boards and everywhere else on the internet that this is not the same "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" hero Optimus Prime that many of us knew from the 80s... but I had hopes they would turn it around with this movie.

I know I shouldn't be surprised at this point. I also get that they have been through a lot up to this point in the story, and it's understandable that they have lost a lot of faith in humanity... but they just seemed a lot scummier in this movie than ever before.

I really hope they turn it around eventually or reboot. At least there was less toilet humor this time around.

What do you think? Should the Autobots be written in a more admirable light, or are you fine with the current version "at least their not quite as bad as the Decepticons"?

2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They all have high egos, like the rest of us and well, it's the reason why those Autobots survived all this long truthfully.

3. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i'm kinda conflicted. always been sad that optimus hasn't been the moral anchor he was in most series before the movies but i kind of like the others as they are. they shouldn't always get along and they shouldn't always be 2D boring good guys imo.

4. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NO offense I'd be a "scumbag" too if I had scumbag humans trying to wipe me off of the planet.

5. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Think of it like this,

Prime's closest friends, A-team and the best of his best are now dead.

Now he has to deal with the more rougher Autobot troops, the one's not allowed at their staff meetings.

6. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    THIS

7. Ring3r

Ring3r Knows what else it can do.

I couldn't disagree more. They're being given actual characterization and realistic reactions to events. They're not just super-heroic perfect beings. Even Prime. It's great that his character is being developed so much, and I thought this was Peter Cullen's best performance as Prime by far, across every version he's voiced.

Optimus was obviously just THROUGH with humans after they betrayed him and the Autobots so badly. He still defended them, but he made it clear he was done and leaving. I also love that he delivered the kill to save Cade, and how he risked himself to save Cade's daughter when he was hiding in the barn. Bumblebee was hilarious, and the other Autobots were wanting to fight the humans over what had been done to them but still respected Prime's orders to spare lives while destroying the research, etc. You could tell that he was still keeping the other Autobots in line despite the shit they'd been through, not because he wanted to, but because he knew it was the right thing to do.

The Autobots were being targeted for literal genocide by a rogue element of the Government. They had every right to be furious - especially since that government had previously promised the Autobots amnesty, even after Chicago. Exremely difficult situation and I thought the way that they were reacting to it was very well done.

8. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I found their reactions pretty realistic- though it might've gone over better with some folks had they explained that this was a rougher crowd (as they had Mearing explain the Wreckers)

9. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Admittedly, I thought the Autobots being assholes wasn't that bad. Drift has the excuse of being an ex-Decepticon, so maybe he still has some of their personality issues. The others, meanwhile, have been hunted and have seen their friends die at the hands of a bunch of monkeys that were supposed to be their allies on a backwater, insignificant planet. Anyone would be more than a little belligerent in that situation. Plus, the fact that Hound is covered in guns made me think that perhaps at least one of the new Autobots used to be a Wrecker (Who, if you remember, were described as "assholes").

10. JohnRedcorn

News Credits:
    It was pretty much implied with their introduction, being trigger happy and unscropoulous. IIRC Hound described themselves as the "dirty foursome" or something.

11. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I didn't recall that line- thank you.

Asshole Autobots (other than the Wreckers) that didn't care for humanity have existed in movie-verse before- Dino/Mirage comes to mind, although that side of him is only explored in the video game, so people might not count him as an example.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Prime and the Autobots have never came across as scumbags.

In this film, I can't blame their attitudes.

13. Autoboticon

He also seemed more sad about Leadfoot's death than Ratchet's.

14. Autoboticon

This,Maybe Ironhide, can be labelled as is grumpy and the Wreckers/Twins as assholes. But no one else is a scumbag.

And as for these new one's check previous comment.

15. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos New Holder of the Matrix of Leakership

News Credits:
    My view was this isn't the cream of the crop... this is all Optimus has left. You have a Bumblebee the scout, a former decepticon, an arrogant loner, and a gruff fat fighter. In any other time and place they would NEVER be together... but Optimus has to have them together. Add into that they just had their own friggin' allies murder their friends and family... and yeah, they are pissed.

16. lazerface

News Credits:
    I'm saying though...

A lot of movies do a great job of really making you feel empathy for humanoid characters, even robots sometimes, but not this series for me. I just don't think they have developed any of these characters enough over the course of 4 movies, or really shown their good side enough for me to care in the slightest if one of them got blown to bits, and that includes Prime at this point.

The only time I can think of in the live action movies that I even felt a little emotion for a Transformer was in movie 1 when Sector 6 captured Bumblebee.

I get that they were being hunted and killed in Age Of Extinction, and had every right to be pissed off, and I agree that showing them rough around the edges now makes it realistic characterizations.

I guess my main problem is they seemed scummy in movies 1-3 too. If they seemed like real heroes up until now, and just got rough around the edges based on what took place between movie 3 and 4, then I'd like the characters more.

17. Autoboticon

Ratchet and Ironhide had the be the serious senior veterans to the team.

Bee couldn't speak and sadly Jazz (who could've had a lot personality in the next movies) died.

The Arcee triplets were not given enough lines, due to Bay's disliking of them.

Jolt was only placed in last second.

Sideswipe and Dino seemed to be the top guns and pretty much the cool, but kind hearted elites of the team, however they also suffered from little amount of lines, they'd be probably closer to what you want if Bay gave the time for them to talk.

The Wreckers are Assholes, but they do have heart.

Que was the crackpot inventor that perferred tinkering than fighting (As you can see as he tries to rationalize with Soundwave and is killed merciless)

The Twins are dicks.

And of course this cast is rough around the edges.

Most of them aren't scumbags their just soldiers with their own personalities and dealing with the war and earth in their own ways. Also due to little dialogue Bay gave them.

18. tpainzbro

tpainzbro Well-Known Member

Bumblebee isn't much of a leader according too drift and the deaths of the others isn't his blame but as an autobot you would rather follow Prime through the bad times.

Prime is the guy who keeps everyone in line and in check because that's who he has proven himself too be.

Crosshairs wanted to be in command but he fell right in line when Prime came around and he said it best "You just wanna die for the guy, Now that's LEADERSHIP..."

19. lazerface

News Credits:
    I think it's amazing how you can tell them apart enough to know that many of their names and dispositions. LOL

20. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Thank you for bringing that up.