Movie theatres dying or Dead?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

My wife and I will go to see a movie in theaters IF and ONLY IF: 1.) We get a seat in the VERY BACK of the auditorium, so no one is behind us and 2.) It's during matinee and the theater is relatively empty. It just isn't worth interacting with people in the theaters these days because folks don't have home training and know how to act in public.

I've had some interesting theater experiences over the years. I had one instance where an ADHD teenaged brat behind us couldn't keep still and kept kicking the seat, and I don't mean small taps, it was big thumps. That annoyed the crap out of me. I finally had to stand up halfway through the movie and ask him to keep still. Scared the living hell out of their entire group. Never sat in the middle again after that.

There was another time in a smaller theater where some walrus waddled into the theater DURING THE MOVIE with her boyfriend (who looked like Vanilla Ice), plopped down in the seat in front of me and leaned her big ass all the way back in the seat and onto my leg. I had to move my leg (because I'm quite tall), which caused her seat to dip even further. She flipped out, turned around and yelled "YOU LIKE F'ING WITH A PREGNANT WOMAN?!?!" I was like "Seriously?!?" She got up to use the restroom and left her man, and about 10 minutes later, an employee came into the theater to retrieve him. Turns out, she was feeling sick and needed help or wanted to leave... or something.

One of my favorite stories is when the movie was about to start, and for whatever reason, some guy started barking like a dog and an old veteran (I'm guessing) stood up and yelled, "HEY!! SHUT UP!!!" I wanted to shake his hand after that. :lol 

Not a theater, but somewhat recently, my wife and I went to see Mike Epps live on stage. People starting smoking weed in the hall during his set and Epps was encourgaging it, which caused more people to light up! The ushers and security did nothing about it! Epps even asked for a blunt and one dude stood up and gave him one and he started smoking it on stage!

Anyway, the only thing I really miss about the theater experience are the day-1 big Star Wars crowds, which was fun because nerds know how to act and the Strawberry Lemonade Icees... and I can get the latter from my local 7-11. With rising ticket costs, ridiculous food prices (a chicken strips/fries combo is $20!!!), unruly people and faster theater-to-Blu-Ray release times, I have very few reasons to see anything in theaters.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's why I put it in this thread. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

There won't be a significant spike in the box office until Deadpool & Wolverine releases. That and Alien: Romulus are the only summer movies I'm going to the theater for.

6. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    inside out 2 is expecting an $80m opening so it may do well pre deadpool.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Expecting and getting are often two different things, they thought Wish would do well too.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Not only did it bomb, but even some of the most hardcore Disney Stans have said it was trash and had a terrible soundtrack.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cosmos Kramer

Cosmos Kramer Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same with me and the lady. All of the experiences you listed have higher probability in a major city; except the loud, rude, miscreant behavior applies to the adults as well as teens. There's nowhere you can escape it so we look for matinees and slow days/weekdays to try to catch one. The comfort and quiet of the home and the ability to avoid confrontation is paramount (unless that confrontation is with your partner lol). There's an indie theater we have a membership to and its location is kind of hidden and unfrequented unless local or a tourist so we generally can avoid spoiled suburb brats and or city thugs there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Wish was an "average" movie. Middle of the road. Not the worst and nowhere near the best. Better than chicken little and jungle book 2 but pretty much middle of the road like treasure planet, meet the Robinsons and fox and the hound. Ok for a viewing than forgot about after. Family did like it including my niece, so they enjoyed it. Me it was just "ok".

Been to the movies in major cities and never had any trouble. You guys must have bad luck.

Thanks to a-list $20 a month for 3 movies a week I go to the movies a bunch in the last 4 months and never had a single bit of trouble.

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Most of the time, I have the problem, since I don't watch TV or consume any other media except for entertainment media, I have no idea what movies are out, since I also don't watch any ads. Even when there are movies I want to watch at the theater, I suddenly find them on Streaming and didn't have any chance to got the movies. People also don't talk about movies anymore that much. Usually you got to know about movies because someone spoke about a movie. Probably doesn't help that our company is remote work first and foremost since Corona happened.

Or I do find "new" movies on Streaming sites that are many years old, I never heard about them and they were glorious. That's so weird.

But I also think Hollywood and streaming providers just put out too much content. I was fine with that at first for Streaming providers, as I thought they would just bump up their numbers for their own content. But they keep doing this... I'd rather they continue old shows instead of canceling them and create 10 new ones in it's stead.
    I loved back in the day, when I could just watch all the stuff I cared about. Today I can't even keep up with learning about the existence of something that might interest me. This shouldn't be exhausting... I also feel bad for all the people putting up so much work to get a great product out and then maybe people not even knowing it exist or don't finding the time for it, because so much other stuff keeps them occupied.

Sometimes I miss the days where I could experience boredom. Because boredom gets me really creative. Such a first world thing to say :lol 

12. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Well, we are hitting a really slow week this week. Ballerina but not the john wick spin-off one, summer camp, haikyuu the dumpster battle that did great overseas but sony has almost no ads out for in america, and a rerelease of the muppet movie this week.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Covid seemed to kill going to the theater for me. I used to see a lot of action films. Since then, unless a friend wants to go, i just don't go. Can't think of a film i saw that I wanted to see. I didn't even see the last Indiana Jones film which no way would i have missed 5 years ago. Even have not seen most Marvel films post Endgame.

Its like I see the ads and they look interesting but then injust don't go. Then even they show up on streaming and i dont care. So movies just aren't my thing anymore.

14. Ashley Wilbanks

Ashley Wilbanks TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    The wife and I typically go to matinees, because it is cheaper and not as crowded. I don't mind the crowds if the people next to me know how to act in a theater. What do I mean by know how to act? Not on their phone during the movie, not talking to each other during the movie, not have a baby or small kid acting up during the movie, etc... I typically used to go to the theater quite a bit by myself too. That has changed though. It never fails, I go to a matinee by myself and the theater I frequent, you just pay for the seat you want.... Well (again never fails), including me, there could be 5 people watching the movie, but someone is going to sit right beside me!!!! I mean come on. I pre-order the seat the day tickets went up and I know I was the only seat taken at that time. I mean, you have to know the seat you chose had someone sitting right beside you... Now we only go to comic book films, although we did go see Fall Guy for Mother's Day. A women sitting off to the right and in front of us was on her phone the entire movie. The light from the phone was infuriating... Sigh...

15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    There are too many films out that seem to be made not for a general audience or made for a niche group. Or too many movies people aren't excited about.

Upcoming we have Bad Boys 4, that used to be a summer movie, but then Will slapped Chris and many people aren't excited about it.

Inside Out 2, used to be a sure bet if you saw a Pixar movie it'd be good, but then Disney started putting messaging in everything, and people are tired of being preached to and are avoiding those types of movies. It also doesn't help that the last 3 pixar movies bombed. So rather than a must go to, it's lets wait for reviews to see if it's safe for our kids to watch.

Quiet Place prequel. Not sure how popular this brand is, is it enough to get people's interest? As a horror film it's not on my need to see at the theater list.

That's part of the issue, most of us don't feel like we have to see it in cinema. We can wait a few weeks for streaming. Look at Fall Guy, I was starting to hear good things about it, sounds interesting might go...wait it's already on streaming.....never mind.

Despicable me 4. Parents with Kids will go see it, casual viewer like me will wait for streaming.

Fly me to the moon....no interest.

Twisters, I saw the original, I'll wait for reviews.

Deadpool and Wolverine. Want to see it, and has hype behind it. I think it may do well.

Harold and the Purple Crayon as an older viewer who didn't grow up with the show I have no interest.

Aliens Romulus after the last few movies were so bad, I'll wait for reviews and may stream, but no interest at seeing it on the big screen.

Boarderlands, barely looks like the game and most of the cast are too old for the parts or don't fit.

Movies cost too much these days both to make and to go to, there is inflation and If I'm spending 10 dollars or more on something, I don't want to leave disappointed I wasted my money.
    Many people are in that position, they don't have spare money to waste, don't trust many studios and film makers after several years of disappointing films or being told things weren't made for them anymore. And most know if they wait a couple months it'll come to streaming anyway.

They aren't making movies for their old audiences as much as they used to, and with several years of seeing our favorite properties subverted and being told there is something wrong with us these movies aren't made for us anymore or being told we don't understand modern storytelling, many people are wary of movies, is it something we want to see or are the trailers just tricking us again? Many of us are too poor to waste money in the current economy and those of us that can have really expensive home theater systems and don't need to.

For many of these there is no excitement. No real need to go.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I agree about budget since theater playtime competition, rapid ticket price inflation, and audience low tolerance for special effects that is anything below excellent pretty much killed the casual B-movie market decades ago.

17. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Out of that list, I'm remotely interested in two films: Deadpool & Wolverine and Bad Boys 4. I'm meh on Will slapping Chris. It's 'rich people problems' and honestly, I've done dumb things because of a woman's shitty influence, so I can kinda relate. Anyway, for everything else on that list, I can wait for it to show up on Netflix or Max.

When we go, we ONLY see action-thrillers and/or superhero films in theaters. I gave up on comedies years ago. If I see a comedy/rom-com in theaters and it's not funny, I'll feel like I've wasted my money. If I see a horror film and it's not frightening, I'll feel as if I've wasted my money. If I see an action-thriller and the story sucks, at the very least, stuff is going to blow up with plenty of action sequences, so I'll feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Same with the superhero genre; stuff is going to blow up and there will be plenty of action, so I'll feel like it's worth my time and money.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Don't forget these other movies this year. Not sure how they will do. From box office mojo others not listed

1. Transformers one
    2. Lord of the rings new movie
    3. Venom 3
    4. Kraven
    5. Looney tunes day the earth blew up
    6. Wicked
    7. Moana 2
    8. Mufasa
    9. bikeriders
    10. Smile 2
    11. Horizen part 1 and 2
    12. Descendents rise of red (why is this going to the movies?)
    13. Ryon's world the movie--why?
    14. Saving bikini bottom spongebob movie (wasn't this shoved to netflix? Looks like it's getting a limited release to count for oscars)
    15. trap
    16. watcher
    17. the crow
    18. Reagon
    19. beetlejuice 2
    20. Our hero movie 4
    21. Overlord the movie
    22. wild robot
    23. terrifier 3
    24. sonic 3
    25. scarygirl
    26. best christmas pageant even that looks nothing like the 80s movie
    27. red one
    28. Gladiator 2
    29. who shrunk denial funk--disney movie I never heard of?
    30. fathom event stuff
    31. joker 2--forgot it.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I was just listing the summer ones

1. Transformers one
    Don't care doesn't look like it was made for me, if reviews are good may reconsider, but not how I'd do a origin of those characters. Looks like a generic plot they added Transformers to.
    2. Lord of the rings new movie
    Don't care
    3. Venom 3
    Didn't like two
    4. Kraven
    This is the next Madame Web and will bomb hard
    5. Looney tunes day the earth blew up
    Need to see a trailer
    6. Wicked
    Already been subverted based on the trailer so I have no interest.
    7. Moana 2
    Already been pushed back a year or two not coming out this year. Was just an announcement to get investors off Iger's back.
    8. Mufasa
    My reaction is still who asked for this?
    9. bikeriders
    ??????
    10. Smile 2
    ???
    11. Horizen part 1 and 2
    I don't think both Part one and two will both come out this year
    12. Descendents rise of red (why is this going to the movies?)
    No interest
    13. Ryon's world the movie--why?
    ???
    14. Saving bikini bottom spongebob movie (wasn't this shoved to netflix? Looks like it's getting a limited release to count for oscars)
    Don't care, Sponge Bob has been crap since creator died
    15. trap
    ???
    16. watcher
    What a twist's daughter doing a movie?Not interested
    17. the crow
    HAHAHAHAAHHAHA looks so bad
    18. Reagon
    Lived though it already
    19. beetlejuice 2
    Wait fro reviews
    20. Our hero movie 4
    ?????? Is this My Hero Academia or or something?
    21. Overlord the movie
    Anime it'll be streamed
    22. wild robot
    No idea
    23. terrifier 3
    Still haven't watched 1
    24. sonic 3
    Depends on trailer
    25. scarygirl
    Don't care
    26. best christmas pageant even that looks nothing like the 80s movie
    Don't care
    27. red one
    ????
    28. Gladiator 2
    Didn't need a sequel
    29. who shrunk denial funk--disney movie I never heard of?
    No idea
    30. fathom event stuff
    don't care

• Like Like x 1
  20. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Like I said earlier movie theatres should find ways to keep theatres afloat in meaningful ways such as showcase both old and new movies as well as perhaps have event surrounding certain movies and perks. Some offer actual restuarants and cafes while others do immersive theatre to go along with a movie that suit it. It may be outlandish but at this point what do they got to lose?