Movie Optimus Prime is the best version

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeX47, Jul 4, 2011.

1. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think the problem is this prime walks the fine line of hero and judge jury and executioner. He is a bit to ruthless as he is pretty much exacting the same justice against his enemies as the decepticons do and also his choice to snuff sentinel when he is begging for his life is just not like Prime at all. There would of atleast been hesitation or something not just a cold blooded killer. Essentially Prime has false compassion as it just dissappears when its not a human poorly written. Example "poor jazz" and moving on lol

Good Prime not even close to the best though.

2. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Sentinel killed Ironhide and betrayed the autobots and their new home. I would have shot Sentinel too.

3. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

What? For what Sentinel and Megatron did. Prime deserves to be angry, he was pushed over the edge and was tired of it. Not only that, but earth and the human race was on the brink of extermination and Optimus strongly fought for the freedom of the humans.

Sentinel also betrayed and killed Optimus's oldest best friend and Autobot, Ironhide. What do you want Optimus to do? Show compassion for the Decepticons?

4. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

I rank movie Prime among the worst incarnations. I could see Grimlock behaving the way Movie Prime did. But it's just too much for Optimus. I get it: He's a soldier, they're at war. He's been betrayed. But Bay has basically turned Prime into the Punisher. It's just too extreme for a leader who has always been balanced. Movie Prime isn't even an interesting character. He's a one-note, ruthless killing machine. He's been stripped of, ironically, his humanity.

5. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Shockwave shot Optimus' wing. That's how he tumbled out of control and landed in the cables. Dude was just taking a break.

I can see your point (on the surface). Optimus, while awesome and a brutal fighter, is not a cautious or careful fighter. He's kind of wreckless. In TF1, he jumped on Megatron flying without knowing where he could go or what was going to get destroyed. ROTF he lost track of Megatron and was KILLED! DOTM, Was up-ended by the driller (twice), beaten down by Sentinel....TWICE, and was caught up in cables. Movie Optimus is definitely an "enter guns-a-blazin'" type leader that may not be the best guy to follow into battle. As a General who sits behind a desk and calls the shots, he probably the best... but as a battlefield participant, I would think twice.

Though, to counteract that arguement, he is certainly heroic enough that he would always put himself in harm's way to save his comrades, and humans. that to me is a perfect example of a selfless leader.

Tough call, this topic.

Though, I tend to lean towards the "Movie Prime is the Best Prime" camp. I just love the emotion that he oozes in these movies. Just so passionate about defeating the Decepticons, and completely betrayed by Sentinel. What a moment.

6. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    See above.... or for a more in depth look at nobility, and balance, see below:

Even though Optimus took no names when fighting, look at it from this perspective for Nobility: 1.) He said he was leaving per the humans request. He honored their wishes. 2.) However, knowing what the Decepticons were going to do, he could not in good conscious leave. 3.) How many times did he try to reason with Sentinel? I think it was like 2 or 3 times, if I remember (Washington and Chicago). Each time they were fighting, there was dialog. He was trying to talk him out of it the entire time. He tried. 4.) Optimus was more balanced. In fact, people like to say that Optimus is overpowered. I disagree. He loses almost as many times as he wins. Let's reflect:> Movie 1: 1 kill (Bonecrusher), 1 loss to Megatron, Sam saved him with the All Spark. Movie 2: 4 wins (Demolishor, Grindor, Starscream, Megs, and the Fallen), 1 BIG loss before he could fight Fallen and Megs again as he was KILLED by Megatron. Movie 3: 3 wins (Shockwave/Driller (tangled in wires), Sentinel, Megatron) , 2 losses. Lost to Sentinel TWICE! First loss, Sentinel did not pull the trigger. Second loss, Megatron saved Optimus right as Sentinel was about to dispose of him. There was no hesitation in Sentinel's voice. The way I look at it, Sentinel had mercy the first time as Optimus was trying to reason with him, like a Prime should (on both accounts). But, there was no mercy the second time as they were both unwavering in their agenda. Optimus luckily HAD to pull the trigger first to save the humans and Earth. I really don't think Optimus was un-noble at all (in DOTM, or the trilogy as a whole). He had to make the "tough decisions" as Sentinel Accused him of. To kill your commanding officer, and mentor, was heartbreaking, and necessary.

7. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

G1 cartoon Prime will always be my favorite, but I would say movie Prime is definitely one of the better versions of the character. I agree that he's like G1 Prime portrayed more realistically.

Movie Optimus is a good leader and is kind to those around him, but he won't hesitate to put the smackdown on his enemies. He also understands that some collateral damage is inevitable, even if his main goal is to protect as many innocents as possible. Most versions of Prime have the safety net of being in a show or comic aimed at children, so they can be portrayed as more gentle and peaceful. Movie Prime is in a realistic war situation where anything goes and death can happen to anyone, anytime, so he has to be a little tougher and less goody-two-shoes. "Give me your face" does go a bit too far, but generally I don't have a problem with movie Prime's killing because he's doing what needs to be done to protect the Autobots and humans.

Well said. We didn't get to see much of what Optimus was thinking in that scene (partially because of time constraints and partially because Bay isn't the touchy-feely type), but that had to be emotionally devastating to him. Sentinel is probably the last person Optimus would ever want to kill, but the situation was dire and he did what he had to do.

8. Rodimus25

Rodimus25 Well-Known Member

I agree !!! I think people are underestimating how ruthless the cons were. They wouldn't hesitate to take out bots or humans, so prime had to do what was necessary. The Decepticons rarely retreated leading to a lot of casualties on both sides. Would prime and the bots halt if the cons retreatded ???? I think they would.. Ironhide was going to let those two dreads walk in dotm... but they choose to keep it up, again resulting in casualties... I think Bee and Hide did just about as much as Prime. I mean bee shot soundwave's face off and pulled ravege's spine out. The bottom line is this is war in a realistic setting.. They did what needed to be done, they werent bloodthirsty, they were merely fighting against tyranny. No different than Washington and his troops during the revolution.. Did you ever wondder why the headless horesman is headless?? Well Washington and the boys offed quite a bit of hessians... For the cause of freedoom.

9. newguy

newguy i

He's very raw. How would you act if you've been fighting for like 4 million years? Get that shit done

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Making Bay's Optimus Prime into a G.1 Optimus Prime wouldn't sell any tickets !...

Movie OP is more like Energon OP in my opinion.

The ultimate Optimus Prime in my book is still G.1 Optimus because his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness - his respect for life in all it's essence. He's over compassionate to the point he'd be a bit more effective if he's was a bit more ruthless.

So to say that the BIO from G.1 O.P about his weakness was taken into account for making Movie O.P making him a bit more ruthless and efficient af warrior perhaps - but again also the biggest drawback than then he isn't Optimus Prime.

From the G.1 BIO
    Otherwise, the only weakness he could be accused of having is being too compassionate and concerned about the safety of others. He would be a more effective military commander if he were more ruthless, but then he wouldn't be Optimus Prime.

That really sums it up for me. In the Bay Movieverse O.P is more like a military commander for a dedicated group of autobots... rather than supreme leader of an entire faction.

Movie O.P killed Megatron when he was off guard... G.1 Prime would never have done so.
    Also he'd never would have killed off Sentinel but sent him into exile and throw him out of the Autobot ranks...

I like Bay's interpretation of Optimus, but it's not the Optimus Prime I'd march into battle with. G.1 Prime could in some way pacify enemies by his shere presence - he got tremendous respect among his enemies.

• Like Like x 1
  11. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Movie verse prime is the coolest transformer ever! One bot wrecking machine. He is a stone cold killer when it comes to badguys :) 

12. EmFalcon73

EmFalcon73 Well-Known Member

It is definitely a close call between Movie Optimus & G1 Optimus. The film version is defintely more of a 'closer' in the sense of not letting Decepticons walk away - but I don't find the movie version to be 'murderous.' He is not ever portrayed as inflicting harm (or allowing harm to be inflicted by omission) on innocents - human or TF.

Granted, the whole business in DOTM of faking their own deaths and letting the humans see how foolish it is to trust Decepticons is a bit dicey - but an argument can be made that the delay in reaching Chicago was probably travel time - I do not think that the film ever intended to suggest that Prime & the Autobots were merely sitting around to watch the carnage until the humans had 'learned their lesson.'

There remains a lot of decency in the character - his willingness to accept self-sacrifice, his refusal to allow the rights & freedoms of humanity to be overriden for personal (or species) gain - his vulnerability in the films continues to be his compassion. His death in ROTF is directly related to his concern for and determination to protect Sam, for instance, and in DOTM, it takes him a long time to settle Sentinel Prime's hash, so to speak.

It never quite seems - in Washington or in Chicago - that he is really fighting Sentinel 'without limit' which is kind of a big gamble to take based on nothing more than his compassion for his mentor and (possibly naive) faith that he (Sentinel) may yet reform.

Movie Prime is a harder-edged version of the character - but it remains a very compelling one. G1 Prime might be the version that you'd most like to be friends with, but if your planet was on the line - I suspect that Movie Prime might be the one that you'd want to have your back.

13. Billabongi

Billabongi Well-Known Member

I agree with this I had no issues with OP taking down Sentinel and Megatron for what they had done.

Don't forget Megatron killed OP in Revenge and killed Jazz earlier as well. Then Sentinel went all nuts and killed Ironhide

I know for one am happy OP got Revenge. I was annoyed enough Sentinel turned on the Autobots I'd have been more annoyed had OP let him live

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, he can't. Nobody can even say this with a straight face.

If he was doing it for no reason, yes, but every one of the Decepticons plans to rebuild Cybertron have been at the grave expense of the humans and Earth. The Transformers destroyed their planet themselves. Cybertron wasn't taken from them, they destroyed it themselves with their war. Optimus knows this, and even feels he shares the guilt. (afterall you can't have a war without warring factions) That's why he keeps saying Earth cannot pay for the Transformers' mistakes.

That's like saying "Hey, I burnt my house down making toast, and I need to tear yours down for materials, and if you don't help me then you're a bad home owner."

Optimus found a way for ALL Cybertronians to live safetly in peace, on Earth, with the humans.

They make it clear in the movie they survived by hiding in a piece of the rocket that dettached in flight and landed a ways away. They did not wait, they got to Chicago as soon as they could. They're just cars, and even if they could fly (say if Op used his Jetpack) they'd just be shot down. The Invasion started literally the moment their shuttle exploded. That was the whole point of them sneaking in on foot before going all-out.

Also, unrelated to the above, my favourite part of the movie is when he shoots Sentinel then throws down Meg's gun in disgust. That one moment perfectly sums up his nature. He doesn't want to do it and takes no joy in doing it, but he has to.

15. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    I'd much rather be partnered up with someone who can handle himself and do what needs to be done, rather than a guy who is all talk.

GenBay Prime all the way.

16. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I like to think that deep down he was hoping Sentinel would stop what he was doing, but soon it becomes clear that there's no reasoning with his old mentor. Sentinel is going to destroy anyone in his way that will keep him from rebuilding/restoring Cybertron.

In a sense, Sentinel has not handled change as well as Optimus. Optimus has rolled with the punches and accepted certain changes.

17. Honorbound

Honorbound Taking a break.

Ebay:
    I've already commented here, but once again, more wisdom is coming forth: EMFalcon73 and Seansy are absolutely right in wanting an Optimus who gets things done on their side, while Split Lip's comment about Optimus throwing the shotgun away in disgust is spot on.

18. a.g.e.1

a.g.e.1 Autobots....Roll Out!!!

I like the Optimus of the movies, I believe he's a bit more realistic. Not that G1 Prime or the other Primes in the other TF continuities aren't relevant or good, but the movie Optimus seems to be more rounded.

I also think some people have Optimus of the movie mixed up wit the peaceful Optimus they seen long before the first movie came out. I don't blame Bay and Co for making the Optimus we have in the live action movies.

19. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    Nail. On. Head.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie Optimus Prime is my favorite Optimus design.

That is it.

Don't like how insanely brute he is, feels like trying too hard to make an action scene look cool but I guarantee you you can make a fight cool without ripping spines or faces in half.

He also gets some points for having the only well written Culle Optimus speechs/ lines.

G1 Optimus had pure crap lines and TFP Optimus' speeches are painfully bad with the only good part about it being that they'll never become quoted due to being forgetable, while sadly G1 Optimus' stink will get quoted forever.