Movie Flaws

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by The Demolisher, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I do have a reason to say the movie exceeded my expectations.

I went to this movie expecting a awesome live action Transformers movie, now what exceeded it was that it actually made me feel like a kid all over again watching transformers. I gotta tell ya, it was a great feeling. A feeling I might not experience too often.

2. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Well, I loved the movie. And the lack of character development, while a bit disapointing, was necessary in a way. Say they take oh I dunno, 5 minutes to develop a character, and there were what? And there were 11-ish Transformers in the movie, thats 55 minutes of say Bonecrusher saying "My whole purpose in life is to crush all opposition". The movie was nearly 2 1/2 hours anyway, so that would've pushed us closer to 3 considering that Bumblebee, Prime, and Megatron were thoroughly done. That would've been less time spent focusing on the plot, which it does have despite Demolisher's ranting. And in my book (and apparantly the production crew's) plot is the most important part of a movie. To get in the 2.5 hour time frame and spend nearly an hour focusing on each character, they would've had to basically stick with Prime's prologue to let us know they were looking for the Allspark. Personally, I would've preferred them to be looking for some sort of Super Energon (ala Ore-13 I think it's called), but the Allspark is nice too.

OK that's getting kinda rambly....the gist is: They sacrificed character development for plot (and big explosions) so the movie accomplished what it was meant to do: rake in money and entertain.

And for the final time: no matter how much this looks like it might remotely be connected to Gee-Wun, this is not, never has been, never will be, Generation 1. This is the Movie (and sure to come sequels) get over it. It's entirely too late to complain about it now. If Bay (or whomever) tried to appease you (no one in particular, but the ones bitching about it not being G1) now, the sequels would become a jumbled mess.

EDIT:
    This goes in Altercron's Book of Greatest Things Ever Said.

Throughout the entire movie I had a grin from ear to ear. Me and my dad went to see it, and he (not a Transfan perse) thought it was great. I think we both felt like kids again.

3. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

Hopefully thats why it exceeded everyones

4. OptimusPie

OptimusPie Active Member

i loved it

5. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

Thank you. If the movie bothers you for those reasons then don't like Beast Wars, RID, Armada........

6. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I loved the movie for what it was - an introduction. Yeah, I didn't care at all for some of the crude "humor", Megan Fox, too many human subplots, and how when Prime makes his speech at the end that Linkin Park song violently yanks me out of the moment that was SUPPOSED to happen there. It felt like Prime was making his acceptance speech at the Oscars and they were trying to tell him his time was up.

I loved the Transformers in this though and the only thing I would have changed about that aspect is more character interplay between the TF's, mostly the Decepticons (Megtatron's relationship w/Starscream, and Megs' relationship with Prime) and to an extent the Autobots as well. I would have liked to seen Jazz's character developed more, as that would have made it more moving when he dies.

I think I will be disappointed if TF2 doesn't do this - play up the TF's relationships between each other and have a smaller cast for the human characters, allowing more time for TF's and more action. At this point, I think as far as major roles go Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox are enough for major character focus (btw I only mention Fox because she has to be there since she's onboard for the sequel - like I said before I thought she was terrible).

And FWIW I think Speilberg should just direct the next one himself.

7. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

The part where Sam was looking for the glasses while the Autobots were bumbling around in the back yard could have been shaved down. The whole Sector 7 thing could have been completely cut out, they were totally useless & ended up being shut down by the end anyway. The hacker parts with the Aussie chick & the black guy were completely unnecessary. Totally pointless & the most annoying parts in the film. They didn't need to bring in outside hackers & extra characters, they could have simply made it so the military could decipher the code. What purpose did the hackers serve? Did they actually do anything except waste time? All that extra filler took away valuable screen time from the real stars of the movie, THE TRANSFORMERS! Sam's dog has a little house in the backyard, his mother makes him wear his "bling", his mother is a nutcase & his father is a complete jackass! Was any of that really necessary???

If they just stuck to Sam & the military for the human side of it & concentrated more on the Transformers it would have been a much better movie!

8. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I myself agree with the innitial post. Somehow it all seems fabricated from a debate on this forum that has been going on for many months to a whole year. The most regulars here especially seem to have a distain for any opinion that does not like how the movie was done, or at least is annoyed by the negativity or has labled anyone who does not blindly support everything with the Transformers name a "non fan" (which is absurd). Alot of us want what's best for Transformers and feel that we, as well as the brand, deserve so much better!!

And 10 out of 10? Come on that's a little extreme and I see far too much emotion in these posts to take them seriously.

Edit: I give you example A: from another thread...
    And I mean not to insult anyone, but it is an observation and circumstance to think about. It's a curcumstance that seems a little fishy to me. I mean this board does have a culture all it's own, and in some area's which differs from other Transformers websites I have visited.

9. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

True, but the humour of the Autobots hiding like monkeys in a cage was priceless. Personally, thats one "unnecessarily" long scene that I loved.

That was something that could've been done better, and personally, I would've preferred them to not have any humour, making them more dark and scary would've been much better.

I'm thinking they were going to be much more intregal to the plot originally, but got shaved down, too much.

Eh, I liked the bits with Sam's family the most of any of the human interactions. They were so ridiculous that they ended up being funny, especially the part with "Sparkplug" pulling into a Porsche dealership, nice little nod to the original Jazz.

And now that I think about it, that's probably why it was a Porsche dealership rather than say....Mercedes or something.

But then we would've been pretty much just watching Megs and Prime and co slaggin it out. Which would've been nice if there were no humans in the movie at all and it took place on Cybertron. But seeing as how people were in it, not having them focused on would've been stupid.

10. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

amen to that

11. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

Eh, read this thread. You can plainly see that I was called a "Non fan" because I liked the movie. You'll also see that that there are plenty of people here in the thread that are not that impressed with the movie, and no one's calling BS on them.

That's what I gave the movie. To me, it was perfect, not a thing i'd change.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, I don't like some of the TF designs and my major gripe is the SHAKY camera but all in all, it was was enjoyable flim. Plot? What plot...this type of movies should be too much on plot...after all, this is a movie is anout giant robots beating the crap out of each other.

13. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Well, I have seen posts from you indicating that you were not for the movie in the first place, so naturally you are going to have a harder time accepting the movie than those that were more open to the movie.

I absolutely loved the movie and it far surpassed my expectations, one of the best things to happen to Transformers since Beast Wars. In saying that I realise there are a few MINOR flaws. However I can fully justify my love for this movie. Something that Demolishor obviously can't comprehend.

14. LordXioExodus

LordXioExodus Member

My only complaints

#1 Shitty editing job
    #2 Get rid of the analysts to get more Decepticon and Autobot screen time, more for the Decepticons though.
    #3 And finally make the Decepticons more distinct, they did look a lot alike.

15. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Agreed. the lack of Robot characterization and the absolutely terrible editing job are my only complaints.

16. Lio Convoy75

Lio Convoy75 Well-Known Member

I disagree with all of your points, original poster (I can't even be bothered to look up your alias, since I disagree with you that much and refuse to respect you enough to look it up.) You wasted 5 minutes of my time reading your post, in hopes that there'd be something that wasn't opionated in your post.

However, it's all just opinion and I disagree with it all. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to anybody. Hell, I even bought my wife a ticket to watch it tonight, since we don't have a sitter and she's sitting down in the theatre right now as I type, watching it.

I give the movie 8.5 out of 10. Seems to me you want G1, so my advice is go watch the 1986 movie and you'll feel better. I've seen it, I wanted something new, fresh and different. This movie delivered on all fronts. You wanna talk about major plotholes? Show me any G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron (or even the 1986 movie itself) episode and I will point you to major plotholes in said episode. You want to talk about bad characterization and I'll do it too. You want to talk about lack of dialogue, I'll do it too. Transformers never has been great art, it's just been fun. And this movie is fun. It delivers. Get off of your high horse and employ suspension of disbelief for a moment and stop taking movies and television so seriously.

17. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I didn't like how most of the Decepticons showed up at the end of the movie. They had no story to them, Devastator(?) got killed by Prime in a minute, Starscream killed some F-22's, Bonecrusher(?) was just another obstacle for the Autobots, where's Scorponok, and what happened to Barricade between the time he's on the freeway to the ship where he's tossed out? I was expecting a more colossal fight between Prime and Megatron. Also, I missed the interlude where there's Starscream doing whatever.

18. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

:horse: 

I could write a BOOK about the flaws in G1. let's look at that:

-Mass shifting
    -Disappearing trailer
    -symbol confusion
    -no government detection
    -they could all fly...come on
    -character development...it's hard to do with a crew of 30
    -human influence...come on...squishies suck, always have and always will
    -human to robot size ratio> ever changing
    -megatron transforming...mas shifting dosent even begin to explain that
    --soundwave too
    -robot to robot size ratio...a joke, starscream is as tall as jazz? fighter jet=car?

19. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

If you think the ROBOTS were bad characterizations,,, how do you think the non-whites feel?

African Americans: hustlers and a buffon (and a cybertronian casualty)
    Latinos: Gibberish speaking sidekicks
    Indians: Call center flacks
    Japanese: Make really cool robots,,, but not phones.

And this flick will be a hit world wide?

I see Michael Bay is a fan of the DW Griffith school of directing.

Sing along now:

"everything's gonna be all white now, everything's gonna be all white."

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

double post glitch