Movie Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I am still wondering why did Bay ignored some of the other characters for the Autobots and the Decepticons like for example: Prowl, Brawn, Sunstreaker, Perceptor, Springer, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Blitzwing but instead we get the Twins, Jolt, Arcee, Sideways, Grindor, Scorponok, Brawl. And they were ignored as well in DOTM. Is there a reason why they were ignored?

2. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

If there was an actual reason, I'd guess it would be due to not wanting to screw 'em up.

3. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

You could say that about all Transformers series. ALL.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Possibly because he wanted to go his own way? Mandate by Hasbro as to designs/names/trademarks/sponsored vehicles they wanted in the films? Preference for certain names by someone who doesn't have the same nostalgia and background in the characters that fans do?

C'est la vie.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The answer isn't anything evil but something really simple. You can only fit so many characters into the films when you have an audience that doesn't know the complete history of the franchise outside of the movies.

If you want to see how too many characters can ruin a film just try to watch Mortal Kombat 2. It's just a total train wreck as they try to shoe horn in every character who ever appeared in the video games.

6. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe Bay should have included both Thundercracker and Skywarp.

7. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    My head hurts...

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Given the attention that was provided to Starscream, they'd have been background generics or cannon-fodder aircraft during the Chicago fight. I think how they were treated in the toys and comics was enough.

9. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the only movie that ever shoe-horned in a ton of characters and was still actually able to make it work was X2.

That being said, I am so glad there's only like, 12 total bots in the first movie. Speaking from the point of view of someone who wasn't particularly familiar with Transformers before seeing it (Aside from the main dudes), it worked in the general audience's favor. And that's with me having kind of a background in TF lore (since my brothers watched the old cartoon, and had a few toys). Imagine people who've never seen anything TF-related in their lives. They'd be lost as fuck.

10. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure introducing too many characters in the movie is the same reason why Transformers Prime has a balanced cast of characters due to the fact having a large cast would screw up the way the show goes........

I would prefer just a right amount of characters for any movie based on any franchise.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    My question is why would you WANT any more characters in the movies? None of them had any character development, they were all one liners and gimmicks.

12. Ash from Carolina

I think cartoons can build up a larger cast because they have a format that works well for fitting in as many characters as the show might want. Take Justice League Unlimited for example since characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash were well established that gave time in the episodes to introduce characters from the more far flung parts of the DC universe.

Movies have to do it all in basically one sitting so they can't have people tune in next week to add more to it.

13. Rewire

Rewire Whiskey Grimlock

Those big CGI robots are expensive. So are the little ones, for that matter. For each new robot character, they have to pay for a new model, rigging, etc. Each new robot character is one more dude you have to parade across the screen--add the costs of animating that, as well as anything else they do.

Now I'm not saying they didn't already shell out a lot of money on these movies, or that they might not have been well-served by spending a little less of it on things like animating Wheelie humping a leg or having Jetfire fart a parachute in ROTF (for example). But that's a major reason that characters get limited in things like the Bayverse movies AND in Prime. Why do you think so many Prime characters are just redecos of pre-existing models (Skyquake and Dreadwing, Vehicon horde, Shockwave is a Breakdown with minor tweaks and a repaint, Smokescreen the same with Knock Out). Same reason there was a limited number of character models in Beast Wars: it's just restrictively spendy.

Barring that, as much as I'm head over heels for the concept art of Springer they put out, I'm glad they didn't put any more robot characters into the movies, as the ones who were there basically got no screen time, dialogue, or development in their own show. It all comes back to cost again as much as bad writing I'm sure, but that's a terrible excuse to sideline the TFs in a TF movie.

14. jru42287

News Credits:
    Lets also not forget all the budget they used up on things like Devastator and the Driller bot...

15. Ash from Carolina

Filming on location isn't exactly the cheapest thing in the world either.

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Especially filming on MULTIPLE locations.

17. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You...you think Michael Bay cares about being faithful to established Transformers?

I'd laugh but that made me sad.

18. jru42287

News Credits:
    Well, no. I was speaking strictly from the point of view of CGI. I suppose I could have worded that better. I should have just said "resources", instead of "budget." A lot of time and money was spent on Driller and Devastator, who both kind of seemed to turn out as a bit of a waste.

19. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Autobots need 2 combiers teams in tf4 movie like trainbots and areialbots
    these 2 combiers teams be under command of optimus prime

20. Ash from Carolina

Oh there were a lot of things on the film that cost loads of money so I was just throwing in that every dime of the budget and all the resources couldn't go into just the robots for the movie. I think you are right that sometimes people forget that resources on a movie aren't totally unlimited because movies have to show a profit.