Movie Bumblebee's face?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Dark_Convoy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Puppetdisaster

Puppetdisaster Well-Known Member

just my two cents, but from my experience working on stuff with Puppets or animatronics, (granted nothing robotic per se), on set it is often possible to remove large areas to access wires and things beneath, its hard to say what is going on in this pic, since it looks like he has been packed up, (their seems to be a piece of tarp or drop cloth to the upper left )the head alos seems to be on a post , or stand, not attached to the body ,

it could also be that they do not want to damage the face area in transit , regardless what we are seeing here does not seem to be complete, at least in terms of being fully asselmbeled

2. cypherstorm

cypherstorm Well-Known Member

Yeah that would make sense... so there is less cgi work to do... in their shots they would only have to apply a "skin" to the face and they won't have to worry about making up parts to fill in the gaps when they move their mouths blink their eyes, squint etc.. All they would have to do is motion capture. apply the face and light it correctly. Sounds simple... but probably not since they'll be talking the entire movie... so the more work you can cut out the better.

Think of this as your seeing the "bone structure" and the skin will be applied over it.

But i could be wrong... but then again, doing this would allow for more "human" expressions rather than just seeing nuts, bolts, and gas caps.

I think we have to remember that we are seeing things in parts... and movies are done in sections, things are tapped separately and then put together in post production. Since this is a heavy cg movie then we are only seeing tiny fraction of what it will be.... also it'd be dumb if they made a complete face....and had their mouths move by animatronics... that would kill the fact that they are supposed to be "beings" from another planet... and like my friend said above me.. they'd look nothing more than puppets. Technology is a little further than you think... so the people at ILM know what they are doing... and we should just wait for the final composite and seing things after post production. It's too early to judge. Plus big business like hasbro, dreamworks would not invest so much money in a movie that will bomb. Espeically if they know there are a lot of you with great expectations, and deep pockets for merchandise. Yes this is a movie... but there is a potential for it to be a big business... why do you think Spielburg is in on it?

3. Christoph Prime

Christoph Prime Hunting the Elusive TF'S

News Credits:
    I honestly think from all the pics we have seen so far that they have taken the T-1000, Johnny 5, Furbie and Car parts and just thrown them together in differant ways to come up with these ...... things. Course I guess if one of them looks like Furbie than it will become the next big seller.

Unless there is a miracle to fix this movie I may just wait till dvd just so I will have some cool coasters!!!!!!

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, looks alright. Hopefully the final version will have better eyes. The "gasmask mouth" seems reminiscent of the old faceplate design of the original. The eyes are the only thing I don't like about him, but I think the CGI will adjust that a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I don't think I will watch this movie...Megaton is NOT MEGATRON...and this face looks wrong.....Bumblebee is SUPPOSED to look friendly....I like the script though...just not the art.....

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Micheal bay can make good blow them up stuff......but charactrer wise..........he sucks!

I hope this film bombs....HARD! Like the island!!! Get him out of hollywood!

7. skeet

skeet aka $keeto Corleone

after looking at the 2-part interview today, I'm trying SOO hard to bear with these producers and wait till the final product is shown....but that FACE....c'mon now....its looks like a mechanical pug! Other than that, i like Bumblebee's incarnation and his robot mode, i hope that's really his size, compared to human height, cuz thats a good height...but that face....i hope ILM will have his eyes light up or sumpthin...

8. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

Does anyone else see a resemblance to the Ewoks from Star Wars here? Okay, where is George Lucas hiding?

9. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    BB's face reminds me of the gas masks used during the STARRS team entrance to the mansion in the Resident Evil movie.

10. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

Oh boy, can't stop laughing my ass off.

I wonder what is the next damage control stunt would be, in order to explain this.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I noticed some people saying that they are glad that the faces will look completely robotic since movie audiences wouldn't like liquid metal. But wasn't that the entire villain premise from Terminator 2? Since there was a Terminator 3, I somehow doubt that moviegoers walked out of there saying "WTF! Liquid metal is stupid and impossible! That movie sucks!" Why would TF be treated any differently?

12. aeous

aeous Member

reassess

okay, think it over, the concept is an alien robot race that comes from a far away galaxy. before they come to earth, they have never seen humans, they did not even know of the notion of humanoid. their evolution is digital rather then genetic, we are an adaptive life form to the best of our degree and so are they but in a mechanical sense. the original transformers had human faces because the concept behind diaclone is the technology was human in original. i think what they are doing is original, invent, inspiring and imaginative, paying true tribute to the true concept of transformers not just the original series

13. ObviousTroll

ObviousTroll Filled with candy!

Call me crazy, but it looks like he's got a big, happy smile and chubby cheeks underneath that gas mask. Actually, that's a bit more disturbing than the spiky "alien" Decepticon faces.

"No Bumblebee! That's not energon, that's Joker Venom!"

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    If it bombs, you can kiss the popularity of this franchise bye-bye, and it will be reduced to just a small line so Hasbro doesn't lose anymore money on it.

And this is my interpretation of the face:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lion

Lion Aloha

Ebay:
    I am losing faith....

16. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch 1

Ebay:
    i think it looks cool, i don't know why so many people are bitching, if you don't like it don't go see it, theres no reason to complain about something so much especially when none of you are going to do anything about it. if you all think you can do a better job then go see bay or get of your arses and make your own movie, i for one am grateful that they're actually making this movie, and so what if things are different, its still going to be transformers, but for the modern age, so why don't you just give the guys a break and stop with all this "they raped my childhood" crap.

• Like Like x 1
  17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't think the issue is so much that the audience would reject liquid metal as it is that it just doesn't make sense for a race of alien robots to go to the effort of using a technology like that solely for the purpose of looking like a fleshy alien creature they don't even know exists. Besides, if they had liquid metal like the T-1000 did, they wouldn't have to transform. The could just morph. In a TransFormers movie, that would suck.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that's anything but the final face design - CGI might be used to enhance the eyes, but not replace that dummy. If it were they'd just have bluescreened it so it was easier to animate. They're making things very hard for themselves unless that's pretty much the face design.

And yeah, it's ugly, and daft, and hard to relate to. But sadly that is beginning to no longer surprise me with this film.

And yeah, whoever said earlier that this movie is a no win situation is right. If it does well, we're stuck with this ugly crap forever. If it does badly then retailers have much more invested in this line than normal, and future lines will get much less retailer support.

Phazer

19. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Likewise, there's no reason for them to have two arms and two legs. But they DO, because then a human audience watching relates to them better.

Phazer

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

He looks busted up, like its the 70's camaro version. I think when he gets his makeover he will be much prettier. Like Pie.