Movie-Accurate-Transformation Masterpiece Line (want it)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gabumon, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro should make Movie-Accurate-Transformation Masterpiece Line. Come on, gimme a Supreme sized Optimus that transforms movie accurately! :) 

PS this forum needs more smiley options.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh...while it would be cool, I don't see it happening. Leader Prime, while not movie accurate, was pretty close to it. I don't see them making anything extremely accurate to any of the Movie transformations, as that would actually be too hard to do (especially if they were going for something affordable, even my collectors standards). Pesonally, I'm happy with the Movie TF's I have. That and if the Premium sub-line is getting the amount of heat that it is, think about how much worse it would be if there was a line of toys that had the transformations extremely screen-accurate (bot-mode, alt-mode, and transformation). I also think that it's time for the Movie line to finally die out, that way Animated, and then Universe can have their time on the shelves. The movie line is getting stale as it is (to me at least). All that's left is the rest of the Allspark line, and then the Premium figures.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I wholeheartedly agree. One of the things I kept thinking about during the film was how fun it would be to try out that one masterpiece-style figure that was incredibly faithful to the film's characters. I mean, we've got a Supreme Bumblebee that's sorta like that, but I want something with the level of elaborate detail and transformation that MP starscream had, as a movie figure. Optimus Prime would be very neat.

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

It wouldn't sell.

If Leader Prime isn't sufficiently detailed to reenact your movie fantasies, your expectations are unrealistic.

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

MP's are mainly made to appeal to the older fans who have a disposable income. Generally, those fans were reared on the older stuff, and would be more likely to buy something from G1...maybe even Beast wars.

6. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Also wasn't there an article saying the transformations were never the same. The transformations were different depending on what angle they were shooting at in order to make it look "good"

7. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Yes, which makes this dream just that. It's be neat to see a chromed, uber-accurate Prime, but I think short of a static statue, that's not going to happen, because there's no way to replicate the transformations without a quarter million tiny pieces.

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Yup.

Another mystery solved!

9. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    There's one flaw in your plan. You see, we live in the "real world" where we have rules. These are commonly referred to as "physics." Sadly, these laws are pretty absolute. The world of VFX, though it pretends to, doesn't actually have physics. Therefore, things on screen can do things that are physically impossible, like those transformations.

10. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    each movie transformation was different and they cheated with things changing size, floating around the body, etc. It's all camera tricks and the like

so it's literally impossible

11. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I would love a Masterpiece movie line but it's not about the transformations. It's just about approximating the robots more closely which is more possible in a bigger, Masterpiece size (say, 12 inches). For me it's about having die-cast metal, more detail, and a bot that's more representative of the movie look and scale.

The Leader Prime is actually pretty good and accurate considering the design constraints. But it is out of scale relative to its parts. The wheels are huge and bigger than his thighs, and so on. That's just the reality of the toy. But you'd be able to make everything scale a little better at Masterpiece size.

It's impossible to make it completely accurate. It's not impossible to make it cooler and a really nice collector oriented toy.

12. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I've wanted a MP line for the movie since July 1st of last year. There's no way there can be a true MP line for G1, meaning figures for all of say season 1 characters. But, it's at least possible to make all the movie characters. Sure it would take a few years, but it could be done. There can even be cheaper ones because of smaller scaled characters like Baricade and Bumblebee.

It just seems like such a no-brainer to have Masterpiece movie figures.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Agreed. Even if there are elements of the transformation sequences that are, essentially, impossible to duplicate in the toys (Barricade's chest bending into shape for robot mode, elements of the car mode showing up in very odd places in the robot mode, etc.) we still know - and have seen - enough of these movie bots to kinda conjecture how an MP figure would look.

...and WOW, if one of those was offered! I'd be all over that like geeks on an apple store.

14. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

I would love to have a 1/60 Masterpiece Movie Starscream to go with MP-3/6/Starscream, and 1/24 Bumblebee, Jazz and Barricade to fit in with Alternators. Make them look like the vehicle in alt mode (Voyager Starscream, I'm looking at you) and like their movie likenesses in robot mode (Deluxe Jazz, anyone?). Don't care what they're made of, don't care exactly how they transform, (aside from parts-forming, of course) it just needs to be done. If all that happened, my wallet would be Hasbro/Takara's playground.

Seriously, who wouldn't want a Masterpiece Movie Starscream to stand next to their Masterpiece Cartoon Starscream? Or a Movie Barricade/Alt. Grimlock rumble?

15. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh... I'd rather be done with movie releases so we can get back to working Transformer designs that look good and make more fun toys. There are plenty of more deserving designs to be Masterpiece'd.

16. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

LEader Prime and Ironhide were both pretty damn close.

But a MP figure with a TON of moving parts would be very cool...though would cause a total burst of rage.

I'd be for it in the very least to get a Jazz with actual arms and hands.

17. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    Don't forget guys, there's the whole "Transformers 2" Movie line we will probably seeing in about 8 months or so! New designs!

But ya, tons of moving pieces! I agree that it wouldn't be so much of a "Toy" but more of a puzzle. Puzzles have hundreds of pieces? right?

18. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    In the movie the TFs transformed with literally 10,000+ moving parts. I don't think the animators cheated, they just had more joints than a Grateful Dead concert (ha!) to work with.

To make 10,000 moving parts and joints out of plastic and metal would be impossible.

Maybe they could fudge and get close, but there's a point of diminishing returns in there somewhere.

MP Prime and Op turn into far, far simpler robots than the movie bots.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I hope that Hot Toys will get the rights from TakaraTomy to make 14-inch figures. They make some very amazing and incredibly accurate stuff.

20. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Except the movie designs weren't physically possible. So, how are they going to make a toy from something that can't exist in a physical world?