MOTU vehicles project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MrUniqZ, Apr 28, 2023.

1. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  2. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know what..I think I'm going to go for it..it's not that complicated conceptually. I think all you have to do is keep the wheel captured in position and the tread needs room to catch at the bottom on each rotation. I modeled in some more deco onto the model..guess I'll take a crack at the treads.

attk.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Any project updates for us? I'm waist deep on a huge related project but i've run out of small components so the rest is going on the large printers.

4. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I’m planning on gearing up for test prints on the AT probably this week. I’ve tried to squeeze it in earlier but I think my kids going back to school this week will free up some time.

I remodeled the AT tracks since the last post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Awesome!

6. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    OK I'm back in action now that my schedule is settling into the fall season. I made some minor adjustments to the AT during the pause..and will resume test prints.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I started doing the prototype print for the AT and I think…it scales. There should be enough room in the cockpit for the legs according to my model. We will see..otherwise I have to bump it by 10-15%.

I kind of took a hiatus to work on some ecto googles and resurrect my old Ender 3 the last two months :p 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    So here is the size of the vehicle…Trap jaw has chunkier legs so he can get in there. I’ll shave off some more space on the actual model but it should fit most standard body figures. I’m going to need to test my attempt at tread design, but so far so good.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I think I'll be posting the Attack Trak this weekend..I can't think of any more improvements to the model. Some of the AT designs will be stuff that I have not printed for myself, but they are refinements based my physical prototype. The treads are workable..I don't think they are perfect(but I don't want to spend more months perfecting them). I guess I should have bought an old AT toy and copied the design more closely, but I'm cheap :p .

I'll also add some stuff to additional STL's to the Road Ripper. I noticed some people release STEP files of their work..I'll take feedback on if that would make thing easier to print.

I think the next vehicle I'll print is the Battle Ram ...followed by the Roton.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Made some final deco updates before printing off. Did a sketch up on the Dragon on the side of the sled..and it came out nice.

Attack Trak is posted..I will also be posting files on Printables soon. Working on the Battle Ram atm.

MOTU Attack Trak

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    For this year..the challenge will be printing and publishing the remaining designed vehicles which all look ready to go except the Bashasaurus. I want to design a Spydor(my old Christmas present)...prints tend to get pretty heavy..not sure if I would face some stability issues. The Blaster Hawk is very likely. Then there is something called a Fright Fighter...that's a wait and see. I'm likely NOT to do a Dragon Walker, the engineering on that would be more than I want to attempt. Then the project will be complete since the origins vehicles mostly fill in the other gaps.

12. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Prototype for the Battle Ram is underway. I finally have all 3 printers to assist so that’s been fun. I rebuilt my Ender 3 and I’ve been able to quadruple its speed. Aside from that. I don’t think there will be too many adjustments to the BR but it’s always surprising what you have adjust when it’s printed to plastic. I was in a rush and got my filament from a local MicroCenter…and to my aggravation..the green spool is some sort of emerald green. But..can’t let colors stop my prototype. This year I hope I’ll be able to get a Bambu to help me make “perfect” prints. I actually don’t have much time or spools left to print proper versions for myself after prototype. But a Bambu could help me print easier and faster.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. krysuk

krysuk Well-Known Member

added to my watchlist since I'm a massive motu fan :) 

14. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I welcome the discussions :) . You'll see me mostly complaining about 3D printing b/c I did alot of my modeling last year..but I'm trying to pick up the pace to post all my vehicles. I did recently get a Spydor..so I may start modeling for that one soon.

Here is the full set so far. I was surprised at how large the Land Shark is(these are scaled to a full 7 inch figure), it's as big as the Battle Ram..lol. The plate in the slicer is 250mmx250mm for size reference. When I design these..I don't look at them as my designs...it's more of a translation/interpretation w/ my engineering sprinkled in.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 123713.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Optimus.Magnus

Optimus.Magnus Swingin' the chain

Your work is phenomenal! I'm blown away by how accurate they look. What program do you use to model?

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    I started on TinkerCad and then started using Fusion 360. It's more about starting out with a basic shape and just refining it over and over again. You take some features from the old toys, from images..and eventually you have something that looks good. For example..the Land Shark is almost entirely the Revelation Land Shark. I started it from the one side shot from the Netflix show.

There are some inaccuracies here and there compared to professional models but it's just for hobby. The accuracy companies like Super 7 are able to do are pretty impressive...hopefully I can continue to improve.

FYI: Looks like I'll have a fully printed Battle Ram by tomorrow. I'll have some comparison pics to the classics.

2nd FYI: Finished it! 3D Print: - MOTU Battle Ram

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Alright, I'm going to prepare to post the Battle Ram on Cults. I don't have a missile in the set; there is an OK missile model on Cults by another creator, but I probably will add one down the road in a later update.

Trying to move on to the next vehicle..which is a my personal fav, the Roton. I've already made some updates which I think will make the Roton easy to assemble, crossing fingers.

• Like Like x 1
  18. krysuk

krysuk Well-Known Member

really cool, I have a 99% complete motuc collection (missing a few of the power con redeco's I didn't really care for and I didn't need a green granymere) but have picked up quite a few Masterverse on deep discount and a couple of origins, don't have a lot of space for vehicles - even my classics windraider is boxed away in storage somewhere, but my classics grayskull with point dread and talon fighter sit next to classics snake mountain and take pride of place, but the real filmation vehicles like attack track and the idea of eternia palace playset have got me thinking about larger 3d print projects - have a Mars pro 2 and had it just over 3 years and haven't really outgrown the build plate yet (have to get creative sometimes) but vehicles would blow that..
    Just managed a remix of a 3d printed stand for the flagship robosen prime I got for Xmas.
    Another few cool concepts I'd like to flesh out everything would be something like the fright zone playset that was on the recent fan choice vote, that hordak vehicle and something better to represent filmation crystal castle etc
    But those are just pope dreams right now
    So many projects I get 70% through and then decide I need to refine / change designs to be more reflective of what I want to achieve
    Even a quick toxitron print of a transforming g1 Optimus I got the design printed and it works, but wasn't happy with the incompleteness of hip skirts and after some proof of concepts xmas distracted.. lol
    I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and chipping in where I can :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Those are awesome ideas..I had only had a Prusa mini working for the longest so I know about restrictions :) . Yea I guess what I find fun about designing and printing this stuff is a chance to take what you always thought was cool and put your own spin on it. The challenge being, making it detailed enough to fit in with a collection. To be honest...the reason I started this was because there wasn't anything much out there that was printable for MOTU other than a few cool vintage toy scans. But when I was growing up, the MOTU vehicles were some of the coolest toys to me and I felt those designs deserved better than just a 3D scan. And it's not an attempt at trying to make money, I only ask a fee to have more control over distribution. I've seen what some overseas companies have done with people's creations before. But I'll probably post atleast one or two w/ no charge just to encourage people to try out a print.

I have allot to still learn, but this is my way of contributing to the community. I had done a few Transformers prints, I guess that's how I got my feet wet. I dream about making some fully modeled liars myself but I'll have to build up a few more skills first :) . But to your point a fright zone would be a great start.

On a side note..I was looking through Battle Ram blog and saw allot of filmation vehicles..esp for the horde. At the end of this project, I may take some of those concepts and model out a few of them. Shouldn't be hard b/c they are simple designs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Been working on the Roton protype and making revisions here and there. The published print will be scaled down a bit compared to this.

IMG_2330.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 2