MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

a proper King deserves a proper throne

IMG_20230108_000947.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just recently found out about the Masters of the WWE Universe toys; does Origins reuse parts and accessories from that line? Is there a list somewhere showing all the parts, & what MOTU characters they are from/for?

3. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

WWEternia figures used the same bucks as Origins but the bulk of the accessories were sourced from the Classics line. Any that were not reused were newly created for Masters of WWE.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm curious if Multiversus could use 87 movie He-Man and Skeletor. Warner Bros. owns the movie. Everything in that game (rumored, leaked, or real) is Warners property, from DC to Hanna Barbara to Gremlins to Ted Lasso.

I'm also kind of curious if -- where Mattel and Super7 have had to use loopholes to tie-in with the 87 movie -- if Warner could just license it to McFarlane. My instinct says that the trademarks Mattel owns make it something Warner can't touch even if Mattel can't directly touch it either without backdoors and loopholes. But I don't know what Mattel's contracts with WB and Cannon in the 80s actually allowed for. Maybe WB has loopholes of their own.

And I think Amazon as owners of Cannon's former business operations might have a percentage stake in the movie and could maybe sign off on Mattel doing more direct movie tie-ins for Amazon exclusives as long as WB gets a cut. Sometimes IP law works that way where a partial owner gets independent approval rights so long as the other owners get profit cuts. I've never seen anyone outside of forums suggest that maybe Amazon is tied up in the rights mess but Cannon did put money into the 87 movie and probably was entitled to some rights from that. And Amazon might have that in the big bundle of Cannon Films rights they own.

It would be a pretty awesome Multiversus addition at least to get 87 He-Man and Shaggy fighting Gizmo and Harley Quinn and the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz and Fresh Prince of Belair in a level based on Blade Runner.

There is definitely some stuff in Multiversus data lists that WB only partly owns versions of like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

5. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toward the end of MOTWWEU they used a few Origins accessories. Rowdy Roddy Piper used the He-Man ax, in blue and Sergeant Slaughter used all of Man-at-Arms' accessories. There might be more I skipped a lot of the last two or three waves.

6. Bryan Thornton

Bryan Thornton Well-Known Member

They used weapons from the classics line? I didn't know that. Not following these lines real close wasn't the classics line a larger scale?

7. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Classics was a 6inch line and Origins is a 5.5. a few things looked a little goofy but for the most part it was fine.

8. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Mattel could just do motu toys based from any media.
    I actually do wish they'd make a motu video game, needs to be from a competent developer. Motu could easily make a great fighting game, especially in the style of street fighter- you know you want to see man at arms rolling around laying bombs like rolento & mekaneck playing like dhalsim. Or a motu game like legend of Zelda. Have it take place in a different era of eternia where you explore & unlock new areas & abilities. You customize your character to take on the role of a new he-man in the hero line.
    It's a daydream day.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mattel doesn't own the 87 movie and they dance around not referencing the 87 movie directly in the Masterverse packaging or promotion for the newest figures.

Most likely they did what Super7 did and got rights to the costume designs.

WB owns the movie (or a majority stake in it) unless that changed in the last 2 years.

Mattel has to use backdoors like their rights to the vintage movie toy tie-ins, minicomics, comic books, or paying the costume designers/concept artists a licensing fee.

I think if they did secure movie rights that the word "movie" would actually be somewhere on the packaging or official promotion and they'd probably use the movie logo somewhere.

It's a nuance. Mattel owns 85% of MOTU. They don't own the Filmation cartoon (although they own a lot of stuff that's very close) or New Adventures cartoon and they don't own the 87 movie. It's debatable whether the people who do own those things can do much with them without Mattel and Mattel can likely just cut them a check for a couple dollars per figure provided they aren't being difficult.

It's like how Disney owns the 90s MMPR movie or the English dub track of Robots in Disguise 2000. Or there are some (rare) pieces of Star Trek IP like the Activision designed ships or guest star likenesses that CBS doesn't own because the contracts didn't include them, even though licensee and employment contracts usually give them everything. So you can't make The Rock from Star Trek Voyager without negotiating a deal or two there.

10. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Kane uses the Roboto arms and as such also his gun-hand and clamp-hand, but not the axe-hand; Kane comes with a blast effect designed for the gun-hand which Origins Roboto apparently doesn't come with, so if you're looking for Roboto to have a blast effect, Kane's your man.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have these for sell. See my for sell thread!!!
    20230108_142150.jpg 20230108_142042.jpg 20230108_141855.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

When do the second round of Grizzlors and Wundars ship? I totally forget?

13. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Around July, 2023.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

PD's got a review of the Ramen stands up and now I'm fighting the urge to buy 100 of them.

• Like Like x 3
  15. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Finally after months, found Roton. Really, really great vehicle. Love the geared saw blade.
    7FB937D0-A5BB-4E59-966C-8AF64DBAC46F.jpeg

also found a regular Beastman (on clearance!), who I never saw. I’ve been using the LOP version which I prefer, but I’ve been wanting to get the regular version for awhile. only other figures at this Walmart was the naked Stratos wave, so idk how they still had this beastman. Feeling pretty lucky, though.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Hi.

News Credits:
  17. Beetle

Beetle MACH Daddy

News Credits:
    Speaking of paint, any suggestions on how to remove the paint (green, pink) on this soft plastic:

[​IMG]

Would it be better to paint over them, or can the paint be removed easily (and if so, how)?

I want it to be all violet, like the original.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blingotron

Blingotron Too Poor For Floor Polish

Just great. Got this e-mail from BBTS just now...
    So I now expect the rest to be cancelled as well. And yup, I just checked. My Trap-Jaw and Orko POs are also gone. Wonderful. :mad 

19. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Huh, that's unexpected. Looks like they are indeed Target exclusives.

20. MightyMegs

MightyMegs Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Thanks! It's just Antique White acrylic from walmarts craft section, with a tan wash. I painted the black parts first, larger than they were going to eventually be. Then when I painted the white, it was easier to shape the eyes the way I wanted

• Like Like x 1