MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Origins, Classics, Masterverse, and WWE all have similar foot connections.

You don't see them off a lot because they really shouldn't be removed without hear but I'm fairly certain I've seen customizers mix feet from all of those lines.

It makes a certain amount of sense. Once a peg size and style "work", you don't change them except with an engineering goal like range, avoiding breakage, making them easier to swap, or less likely to fall out.

And ever since DCUC and MOTUC got ankle rockers, there's probably no reason to change between releases.

Whereas things like butterfly shoulders on some releases or changing thigh silhouettes or reports of QC issues with parts intended to swap might change other parts for a whole line or send two lines in opposite directions.

Nobody swaps feet casually. No release has needed a new type of ankle like a dropdown ankle or something. So my guess is that feet are one of the most mechanically similar things across Mattel lines. Somebody cracked a recipe for good ankle tilt, possibly looking at competitor products and trying different peg gauges and materials. And there's probably been no reason to mess with that ever since.

Whereas a single wrestling figure getting butterfly shoulders could cause all wrestling figures including the new ones without butterfly to get a new peg or something.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    **squints** Oh yeah... I stand corrected.

• Like Like x 2
  3. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

So interesting news. Remember that CC He-Man that went missing and was refunded? Well I ordered a new one from a local seller here. After that I decided that I would take another look at the DHL tracking from MC on a whim and lo and behold the tracking on the second piece ID had started updating. Today I received my CC He-Man from MC. And the local seller was nice enough to cancel the one I bought from them as he hadn't shipped yet. So free figure...score!

A win for the little guy :) 

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 14
  4. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

So the tracking DOES work for multiple packages like they’d said!

• Like Like x 2
  5. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

It seems so. We live we learn. Though it definitely shows that the 2 figures definitely were not shipped at the same time as they said.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Leighton

Leighton Well-Known Member

Weird. Looks like you did well! Nice one.
    It seems like MC has no control and no idea over what they are sending out.
    My Duplicos arrived recently. Packing was atrocious. Two figures rattling around in a box that was much bigger, with not a single piece of packing material, nothing. And all this from a retailer that (should) know they are selling collectibles to adults.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dr Fingelblender

Dr Fingelblender Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I did a bit of customisation (painting) on my Origins Battle Armour Skeletor's head (well, one of them anyway) to better resemble the vintage, which will always be my #1
    images-82.jpeg 20240507_211504.jpg 20240507_211222.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  8. Leighton

Leighton Well-Known Member

Great to see Eldor featured here. Eldor and He-Ro are such an awesome gap for me to get filled, I loved cancelled 80s figures. I hope they will come soon. The Chameleon guard looks really cool.
    Its clearly a depiction of the inside of the Snake Lair playset. Im hopeful that throne will be included in the playset. Gotta have a throne for a playset like this. Its interesting to see how the throne has changed. It didnt look like that on the back of the Lady Slither card, it was a different design. Also interesting that we see the Lady Slither shield design on the wall above the throne, that was on the outer sleeve of that figure (which was itself an homage to Athenas Shield)

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I think my biggest peeve with the design is the overt use of different reliefs.

Like, pick one and stick with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

It’s all artistic interpretation until a prototype is made, even then there’s bound to be alterations on the final product

I’m thinking

Snake Lair at base
    Chameleon guards as a goal
    Throne as the final goal

11. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

News Credits:
    Nice! I also got tired of not having a vintage style head and ended up painting my own, but I used the grinning head sculpt from the second release.

upload_2024-5-7_16-12-49.png

• Like Like x 7
  12. shapercreator14

shapercreator14 Vae Victus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I used the Origins of Evil one for mine, but PurpleStuf's is absolutely killer.
    1000016664.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Dr Fingelblender

Dr Fingelblender Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh, wow!
    That head looks even better, the eyes/cheekbones are down instead of up.
    I'm pretty sure I have it in my box of stuff, will go digging this evening and hopefully paint it up.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  14. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Finally some free time to give quick thoughts on my pickups from 2 weeks ago.

20240507_120633.jpg 20240507_120649.jpg 20240507_122305.jpg 20240507_122533.jpg 20240507_135457.jpg
    CC Stratos - his wings are larger than Origins which doesn't actually seem accurate, but looks good; the wings can slip into slightly different angles that look odd at rest. The harness jetpack looks just right, the harness is a touch floaty; it comes off by removing the arms and head. The head seems large to me but looks the part otherwise. The Staff of Avion looks nice, it's tapered so it can fall out of hand kinda easily. Since he only comes with one accessory, I really would have preferred a second set of hands for a flying pose. Comparing him to the Origins figure is the first time where the CC version felt considerably bigger.

20240507_115956.jpg 20240507_115950.jpg 20240507_120443.jpg 20240507_120006.jpg 20240507_120030.jpg 20240507_120118.jpg
    CC Mer-Man - the color looks great, that stands out right away. The head proportions seem odd, especially the "ears" which are so large they hit the torso, but the overall still gets the feel of the character dead on. The trident, like the Pearl of Power this figure comes with, is the one seen in City Beneath the Sea and he only uses it at the end of the episode, usually Mer-Man just hoists a generic sword or even a different trident, I don't know that the original toy's coral sword ever showed up onscreen. The pearl is an orb with swirly iridescence, my sample has a huge flashing on it that I'll trim away later. Mer-Man is the first CC fig with an open hand, sculpted for the pearl to rest on but it doesn't grip in any way; the styling is odd, with little nubs for the fingertips.

20240507_131550.jpg

TOG Moss Man - I was expecting to not like this figure much because he's so translucent, his head looks like a werewolf without flocking, the fly trap head seemed really odd; but I actually like this set more than expected. He *is* too translucent, I had a hard time photographing him without ambient light illuminating the interior structure; the head *is* werewolfy; the fly trap *is* odd -- all of that is true, but doesn't ruin the set. There's a lot of accessories, a lot of variety which makes this set work: the tendril overlays, the removable bony crest on the armor, the mega-tendril arm weapon holding a tube of ooze, the neck extension, the fly trap head can be hand-held (although it's super heavy) via the neck extension, and there's something cronenbergy about all of it.

The base body is just the regular Origins furry body until you get to the hands and feet, which are monstrously oversized, tho not the generic large-body ones. The feet are root things, they don't have ankle tilt and instead just swivel horizontally, so you have to use the boot rotation a lot more to get the feet planted (pun not intended), it's possible but you gotta be patient when posing. The large root feet are pretty good at holding up the heavy fly trap when used as a head, but it was a real pain to get the arm and feet to hold up the fly trap as a handheld weapon (which is just using a thick tendril on the neck extension as a grip, this is clearly intended as the arm extension uses the same thing). The shoulder armor things slide right off, they're the same part twice; the torso armor requires removing the head and waist but clips together nicely; the large purple tendrils plug into the armor via the shell mounts, they tend to get knocked off pretty easily while handling.

The accessories are also useful as sickening plant matter, just throw it on the ground in a creative way and you've got something, only the chest armor really doesn't blend in. Really, the only things I would have liked to have seen done differently are the fly trap stigma (the tongue) being independently articulated, and the fly trap directly mountable to the forearm instead of using a gun grip.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  15. sophora

sophora Well-Known Member

Krang and Wave 2 ToG at every local Walmart near me now, glad to see such saturation. Hoping that Mutated Moss man does the same.

• Like Like x 4
  16. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I can't believe that it never occurred to anyone at Mattel that they should have released MOTUO Skeletor's head just like that. All the Skeletors released in Origins and not one of them has the vintage toy paint job.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Blingotron

Blingotron Too Poor For Floor Polish

What did you do to get such clean lines? I haven't painted mine yet but i'd rather it not look like I slopped on paint when I do it. What did you use to get the thin lines for the teeth and brow lines?

18. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

News Credits:
    I just used a very fine brush and thinned out Vallejo paint. It took multiple attempts to get it the way I wanted it though - I'd paint a line and not like how it looked so I'd wipe it off before it dried and try again. I had to hold my breath to have a steady enough hand when I painted them lol. Even still there were a few uneven edges that I had to scrape away with a toothpick after it had nearly dried.

The whole thing that gave me inspiration to attempt it was this Toy Polloi video.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Barbarosa Customs has been casting actual vintage He-Man heads from a vintage casting with an Origins ball peg.

I'm honestly not sure I get the point for Origins given how close the vintage style head from Mattel is but I keep hoping he'll do Skeletor, Beast Man, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn, and maybe Trapjaw.

I think everything else in Origins is "close enough". I may eventually break down and swap helmets between a Man-at-Arms and Palace Guard.

Really, though, I mainly think Origins deviated too much on the first two waves and course corrected fairly well. And I'd like Mattel to just give us the Screech Skeletor in more standard colors. But I'd be tempted by actual custom casts of vintage toys matched to Origins for the first wave or so.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dirtweed

dirtweed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Received my pile of loot tonight but these were the only things motu related in it.
    image.jpg

I received this also tonight from Amazon. Yes, I’m an old fart that still buys dvds.
    . image.jpg
    I don’t think I’ve actually watched the whole thing before but I heard it like back to the future meets Star Trek voyager meets friends.

• Like Like x 2