MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. WiscoGuy

WiscoGuy Well-Known Member

Not trying to justify the low stock. Completely unacceptable. And sadly something we all expected to happen so I don’t get why the volume was so low.

But Pre-Order and Made-to-Order are different.

In a pre-order, we as a customer are just staking a claim on product that has already been put into production. There was already a pre-determined number of units that were going to be made prior to the sale.

• Like Like x 7
  2. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol Walmart collector CON is ironically accurate.

• Like Like x 4
  3. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I would find this pun hilarious if I wasn't so pissed off right now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dirtweed

dirtweed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why don’t places like bbts ever sell out of preorders?

Seems like the point of a preorder is to determine how many items you will need, why turn down a sale? Maybe it because what Walmart really wants is your data so they can sell it.

5. DKCA

DKCA Well-Known Member

Yes. Just like Velocitron Cosmos. INSANE how quickly these preorders sell out.

6. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

I put in an order for both snakemen at an eBay scalper

Now to watch them come back up on Walmart

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    They do. Constantly.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They absolutely do. They sold out of the Plastic Man DC wave in like half an hour on Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

Um, BBts sells out on preorders all the time.Like with that McFarlane black and grey knightfall Batman or the mafex Wolverine reissue

10. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

I hate preorders in general now. Just keep getting burned. Constant cancelations and no firm shipping dates. And that's if you can even secure the order. If it isn't in stock I look elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dirtweed

News Credits:
    don’t they usually come back up for preorder before item is sold? Personally I’ve never not been able to preorder something from bbts weather that be transformers, gi joe or MOTU.

12. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

Sometimes they come back when they get stock and/or if people cancel their preorders. But that's the same with Walmart, in fact it's usually better if you manage to buy something when it comes in stock because their preorder fulfillment sucks.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fridaytron

Fridaytron Pirate cat connoisseur

Twitter:
    Yeah, the most recent Mcfarlane justice league wave sold out so fast with them I didn't even see a listing for the Superman.

This sucks, no two ways about it. But somewhere in the production and distribution discussion Mattel and Walmart decided they could safely move X units. Then part of that X was set aside for today's preorders, and the rest will be sent to stores at some point. Could they have moved more through the online orders? Absolutely. But there's plenty of reasons why they might not have put up more.

First they're all trying to avoid more stuff going to clearance because that's bad for everyone on the supply side, so Mattel is going to be more conservative on production numbers and Walmart is going to be more conservative on orders.

Second as other people have said, exclusives are meant to drive people to shopping with the store. If you can order it from their website all you bought was that. If you have to go into the store, especially one with as wide a variety of products as Walmart, you're likely to buy other things.

Now I don't think that they purposely understock exclusives to keep you coming back over and over. I don't think the Walmart employees that handle ordering the toys think about that at all. I don't think they care about us one way or another. These are just SKUs on a spread sheet to them. They see that they moved X of them last year, and unless mattel has impressed on them to increase orders they're going to order X again.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Not to also defend Wal-Mart and Mattel, but getting that preorder number right too is a fine science.

Moss Man, who is a recognizable character, is just sitting around at a ton of Wal-Marts and even going to clearance. Makes sense they would order less of two characters who pretty much have zero visibility in the brand if Moss Man couldn’t sell.

The real issue is they need to just start limiting this sort of thing to one per person. I’m sure plenty of fans and resellers bought multiple to hoard, flip, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sophora

sophora Well-Known Member

Saw a third party put up a 79.99 Krang, then it got snatched up, hopefully by a bot.

16. dirtweed

News Credits:
    Do companies sell your data?

If you use the internet, there is a good chance companies are selling your data to a third party. Oftentimes, the data is used to try to sell you products you might be interested in. Websites will collect info on which websites you visit or the items you buy online.

is it legal for a company to sell your data?

Companies can no longer legally sell your data if you refuse. However, if they do anyway, consumers cannot sue. This law reserves cause for lawsuits only for data breaches.

Does Walmart sell customer data?

We may share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as to conduct our business, or when legally required to do so by law. We may share personal information about you with service providers that help with our business activities.

17. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

I did, complete with pics. Here's how that looks now.

upload_2024-3-15_11-12-23.png

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fridaytron

Fridaytron Pirate cat connoisseur

Twitter:
    Yeah. I think the general consensus that Walmart exclusives are hard to get is priming the scalpers to order as many as they can. An order limit would probably go a long way to helping solve the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

I got Krang and Moss Man preordered, though I was ready all week with the links and pages open. I didn't anticipate them selling out quickly (especially with how regular Origins Moss Man is pegwarming) but I wasn't going to leave anything to chance. I'm quite surprised how quickly they went but, selfishly, I'm mostly glad as it indicates a strong interest in the line. My local Target is currently clogged with Mouse Traps (at full price) so I was concerned.

20. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Canadian Wal-mart no longer sells MOTU on the shelf any more. Even the Collector con event today, the new figures never got listed. They do not even have the TOG line.

• Like Like x 1