MOTU Origins Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pharoid, Feb 21, 2020.

1. CheggyChonkers

CheggyChonkers Heroic Master of Buying Toys

YouTube (Legacy):
    Me too, there's no way I could have afforded to get all the characters I wanted. I did really like their aesthetic though, I'm hoping Masterverse will give us "budget Classics".

2. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Man I'm disappointed that MOTU Origins has just become a new GI Joe Classified. A piss poor distributed line, all I've seen is He-Man, Skeletor, & Battle Cats at Target and Man-At-Arms, Teela, Beast Man, & Evil-Lynn at Walmarts on top of those three. Guess I can forget having any interest in the later waves, thanks Mattel.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I had a love/hate relationship with the line. Figures that turned out great were awesome. But it sucked to spend so much money on figures that turned out bad.

Unfortunately, with the figures I received, many of my favorite characters turned out bad but characters I wasn't as passionate about were in great shape.

It's definitely shaping up to look like Origins is going to be my definitive line. I've had far less QC issues with Origins than Classics.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've only seen 2 Battle Armor Skeletors at Target besides the ones i got at Walmart.

5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Why don’t you just tighten the ankles with Future or KiKi? I don’t see how loose ankles = riddled with QC issues.

Classics blows Origins out of the water. It’s not even close. Origins is good cheap fun but crap compared to Classics.

6. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

If a figure can't stand up on its own because the ankles are too loose, that is a QC issue. Whether or not it is fixable with the use of chemicals is irrelevant. I shouldn't have to modify figures to get them to stand. And collectors haven't been using those tricks long enough to know the longterm effects of using such chemicals on the plastic. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that if I pay $30-$40 for a figure, it can actually stand up without me having to modify it.

I only mentioned loose ankles because it was the most common problem, but it was hardly the only problem. There is a long list of figures known to have issues. Backwards shoulders, exploding lower torso, cracking torso, loose neck pegs, Stratos' wings glued incorrectly, Snout Spout's trunk cracking, Mossman having his flocking glued on with water soluble glue so that if the figure is anywhere near humidity, the flocking can come off.

Classics figures looked great. The 4H outdid themselves with their sculpts. But the quality of the line in general was terrible.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just keep in mind that it's the first of the year toy shopping lull. We see this every year with all toy lines.
    Same here Origins is a fantastic line, it's easy to get, for me at least, affordable and the figures hit the nostalgia really hard while bringing the articulation I always wanted in a He-Man toy. I'm glad I'm getting into this as Transformers is loosing my interest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Not from what I have seen. Besides after 14 years in the army I learned how to enjoy good cheap women fun.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Sweet, definitely looking forward to this guy, he was one of my favorites as a kid.

10. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I'm loving this line. It has brought back a lot of the old nostalgic feelings of loving the property as a kid. More so than Classics has for me.

TF's got me back into collecting ... but I remember before that, when I started working and had some money, I went to ebay to check out some old MOTU figures. I never decided to get any because a lot of them were played with so heavily, they just don't hold up.

Getting fresh figures with fresh packaging is awesome! I'm all in!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I think had the quality been consistent, I may've wanted the Classica Snakemen. But I don't regret not collecting them.

12. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

I had a large collection of classics and agree that for the most part, this line is way more fun. However, some of the better figures in classics (to me) are just amazing. Filimation He-man and Skeletor are spot on and Classics Trap Jaw is probably my favorite he-man figure ever. I sold most of it and only kept the figures that mean the most to me. I probably have about 20 or so left and they're fantastic.

Origins though...it hits that nostalgia bone right to the marrow. The only thing that's missing for me are the head sculpts on he-man and skeleton so far. However, I'm going to remedy that situation by buying a few Battle Armor versions for the extra head. I'm not going to "collect them all" but I'm definitely going to buy the figures that I had as a kid and the random highlight like Scareglow (it's fantastic, btw). Already passed on She-ra...

• Like Like x 1
  13. mark4flair

Same here, it's all about the nostalgia for me as well.

I didn't have a ton of He-Man as a kid, I was all-in on Joes, followed by TF's, Star Wars, and Wrestling figures, He-Man was behind those.

The simpler (but improved) articulation is awesome, the bright colors really make them pop on a shelf, and they are a perfect updated representation of one of the best toy franchises from the 80's.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pharoid

News Credits:
    An opened Classics Triklops will get you $100 then you buy 6 Origins Triklops and still get lunch. So okay I guess.

15. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Look what I got!
    16117958276512528928102982873924.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Pharoid

News Credits:
    ...what have you seen?

5B35BF1D-BA41-4CB4-A759-93B241DD67D9.jpeg 28ADC0B5-C582-4469-8D66-86D723DD96DB.jpeg

For what it’s worth I am 98% sure of a retail Classics He-Man and Skeletor release.

After 4 years in the Navy... I can relate.

• Like Like x 3
  17. mark4flair

^He-Men (plural for He-Man)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    That was the 2-packs at Toys R’Us where Mattel swore the only way they could possibly sell MOTU figures at retail was by packing them with DC characters. Because nothing gets someone to buy a Skeletor like being forced to buy a Lex Luthor figure.

That Scareglow is my favorite of the Classics line. I remember frantically trying to order it when it went live from a motel room on an ancient laptop and intermittent internet access.

My only regret with Classics was passing on both Granamyrs. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Beetle

Beetle MACH Daddy

News Credits:
    Battle Cats are shelfwarming at a walmart near here. Still on the fence about getting one, but might budge if they drop in price. Could we see that happening in the next few weeks?

20. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    The reviews of Rio Blast, Buzzsaw and Huricane Hordak did not impress me and my Laser He-Man and Skeletor are not great. But all but one of my Origins figures are near perfect.

• Like Like x 1